Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27734
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mode button on D7000 shifting in mid-stream" Previous topic | Next topic
Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Mon 27-May-13 08:33 PM
3532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mode button on D7000 shifting in mid-stream"

St. Augustine, US

While I like many of the features of my D7000 compared to my D300 I have found one rather annoying feature. The mode button has a tendency to shift from A to M seemingly by itself. While I am sure that it is actually me accidentally turning the knob it seems to switch from A to M at the worst times with a resulting under or overexposed image. I'm at the point where, before I start shooting, I am going to set a proper exposure in M mode just in case the dial accidentally gets turned while I am shooting in A mode.

The dial doesn't seem to be overly fluid (and subject to an easy flip from one mode to another) in that I can feel a small resistance when I switch modes. At least on my D300 I have to deliberately depress the mode button and then turn the command dial. I have never had it go from one mode to another accidentally. Is this a common issue or am I just being clumsy?

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Mode button on D7000 shifting in mid-stream
mklass Platinum Member
27th May 2013
Nikon32250 Silver Member
27th May 2013
singlerosa Silver Member
28th May 2013
Nikon32250 Silver Member
28th May 2013
pimadude Silver Member
28th May 2013
mborn1 Silver Member
29th May 2013

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 27-May-13 09:37 PM
5862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mode button on D7000 shifting in mid-stream"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Graham,

That's a common complaint about the D7000. Nikon recognized it and put a lock button on the D7100, similar to the higher level Nikon bodies.

The complete solution is a trade in for a D7100, but the cheap solution is a small rubber band or O-Ring that will keep the dial from turning at the slightest provocation. You can also just be very aware that it can happen and check it constantly.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Mon 27-May-13 10:05 PM
3532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mode button on D7000 shifting in mid-stream"
In response to Reply # 1

St. Augustine, US

Mick

Glad to hear it's not just me. I may just try the rubber band or O ring.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

singlerosa Silver Member Charter MemberTue 28-May-13 02:58 AM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Mode button on D7000 shifting in mid-stream"
In response to Reply # 2

St. Louis, US

I shoot in manual, so when it happens to me, I'm suddenly in U2, which was my bird settings. Since I get my D600 (which also has the button release like the 7100), my 7000 is now a full time back yard camera and rarely gets bumped out of M.

Jim Singler D600/D7K with a bunch of lenses and other assorted stuff

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Tue 28-May-13 11:44 AM
#4. "RE: Mode button on D7000 shifting in mid-stream"
In response to Reply # 3

St. Augustine, US

The unexpected change from one mode to another could be critical if you were shooting a once in a lifetime event such as a wedding.

Graham

pimadude Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Nov 2012Tue 28-May-13 04:56 PM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Mode button on D7000 shifting in mid-stream"
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson, US

I've had one instance when my mode dial, which was set for "A" mode shifted to "M". It only occurred, however, when I moved the release mode dial. Apparently, my fingers also moved the mode dial inadvertently at the same time.

I've subsequently been quite careful to move only the release mode dial when I'm changing that dial's setting.

I would prefer a lock button on the mode dial, like the one on the new Nikon D7100. Apparently, Nikon's engineers wanted to ensure that the mode dial couldn't be shifted inadvertently on the newer camera.

Jim

mborn1 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2008Wed 29-May-13 07:31 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Mode button on D7000 shifting in mid-stream"
In response to Reply # 0

Taunton, US

My main complaint, in fact there was a thread about it here where some one recommended putting heat shrink tubing around the dial, which I did it helps but you need to watch anyway

Myer
Photo Bee1
http://photobee1.blogspot.com/
http://photobee1.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27734 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.