Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27703
View in linear mode

Subject: "Do Screen Protectors Help?" Previous topic | Next topic
Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Mon 27-May-13 01:39 AM
1023 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Do Screen Protectors Help?"
Mon 27-May-13 01:54 AM by Vlad_IT

US

Yes, they are

this is how LCD on my D7000 looked after my wife put "her stuff" in my photo bag

I was able to peal the protector off and clean the screen. Now original Nikon plastic protector is back on my camera.

Best regards,
Vlad

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?
Omaha
27th May 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
27th May 2013
golfercat Silver Member
27th May 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
27th May 2013
Daveecopping Silver Member
27th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
27th May 2013
RiverWader Silver Member
27th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
28th May 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
28th May 2013
PAStime Silver Member
05th Jun 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
27th May 2013
Cousin Silver Member
28th May 2013
Ellis Feibush Silver Member
28th May 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
28th May 2013
Omaha
28th May 2013
Margaret C Gold Member
29th May 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
04th Jun 2013

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 27-May-13 02:19 AM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

So, the protector broke, but the screen didn't?

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Mon 27-May-13 02:28 AM
1023 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Correct

Best regards,
Vlad

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Mon 27-May-13 02:42 AM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 2

Menifee, US

looks like the protector did what it is supposed to do..protect the LCD screen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Mon 27-May-13 02:54 AM
#4. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I had GGS III screen installed, which is thin glass glued to a plastic film. I'm sure w/o screen protector the LCD would crack.

Best regards,
Vlad

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Mon 27-May-13 07:14 AM
162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 4

Polegate, GB

A screen protector works once then, just like a cycle helmet. The D7100 comes with no screen protector. I wonder how tough it is?

Best wishes,

Dave

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 27-May-13 11:29 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

Very tough, it is made of alkali-aluminosilicate hardened glass, often called Gorilla Glass II. It is surely stronger and more scratch resistant than the 3rd party protectors.
I removed my D800 supplied cover a few weeks ago due to ever growing scratches in the plastic protector. Colors are better, images are sharper looking and brighter. The same glass is used on my cell phone (Samsung Galaxy S3)and it has been remarkably resistant to anything I can throw at it.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

RiverWader Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2010Mon 27-May-13 11:53 AM
79 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 6

Gardner, US

>I removed my D800 supplied cover a few weeks ago due to ever
>growing scratches in the plastic protector.

Stan-

I look at the scratches and such on the protector and leave it on for the reason that it appears to be having it's intended affect. Has the LCD glass held up without scratching since you removed the protector?

-Pat

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 28-May-13 02:43 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 7

St Petersburg, RU

Yes, even when inspecting with a jeweler's loupe the glass is perfect, same as my phone that gets tossed into my pocket with metal keys, and coins. Amazing stuff.
I do not know if the D7000 was using Gorilla Glass but I suspect it does not. A regional Nikon rep told me about the D800, D4 and D7100 use of Corning's Gorilla Glass when explaining why there was no provisions for a cover on the D7100. I have a D7000 and should check it more closely.
The appearance of displayed photos without another layer in the way makes a dramatic impression of vividness and clarity. The only downside is shorter battery life since more time is spent admiring images:>)
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Tue 28-May-13 02:52 AM
#10. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Thanks, Stan. I did not think D7000 in the same "glass" category, but thought I might ask you.

Best regards,
Vlad

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 05-Jun-13 12:41 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 7

Kingston, CA

>I look at the scratches and such on the protector and leave it
>on for the reason that it appears to be having it's intended
>affect.

Really?! If the protector is to prevent scratching the LCD screen so you don't have to look through scratches and stuff then the protector is not helping!

Cheers,
Peter

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Mon 27-May-13 02:22 PM
#8. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 27-May-13 03:14 PM by Vlad_IT

US

>Very tough, it is made of alkali-aluminosilicate hardened
>glass, often called Gorilla Glass II.
>

Stan, is D7000 has the same glass?

Best regards,
Vlad

Cousin Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2011Tue 28-May-13 04:50 AM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 8

Kilmore, AU

I had a GGS111 protector on my D7000
Made the mistake of stuffing a lens hood on top of my camera in the backpack
That was the end of that $60 protector
Didn't bother getting another, I feel they're too fragile
And I'll agree with you Stan, the camera screens seem to be able to withstand everyday use without showing any signs of that usage

Michael

Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009Tue 28-May-13 10:44 AM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 0

Summit, US

I attached an inexpensive Promaster plastic cover for about $14.95 on my monitor when I first bought the camera a few years. There are a few minor scratches on it, the images seen through it are just fine and the plastic used seems tougher than usual. I have used the Giotto and GGS covers in the past on other cameras and they worked fine also.

efeibush

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Tue 28-May-13 12:55 PM
285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 0

Aventura, US

I had the GGS on my D7000. I had a partial dropping incident where the protector broke but the LCD didn't. I got another protector.

I just had the sensor cleaned and it was difficult to tell how good a job was done because there was.so much dirt trapped between the GGS and the LCD. I had the GGS removed and plan to use the original Nikon protector when not shooting.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Tue 28-May-13 04:47 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 13

Omaha, US

I don't think these protectors are nearly as durable as the glass on the camera itself. That the protector broke is not evidence that it saved the camera from a break. All it tells me is that the relatively cheap piece of low-tech glass in the protector broke.

My three year old Droid-X phone, which has received nothing but careless handling bordering on abuse for its entire life, is still flawless. The glass on my D7000, unprotected since new (a little over a year ago) but perhaps not quite as abused, is similarly flawless.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Margaret C Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2011Wed 29-May-13 11:12 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 14

Los Altos, US

We stopped using the LCD screen protector after my husband rented a D700
which definitely looked like it had been used hard, with scuffs and stuff everywhere. The LCD screen (which came unprotected) was in perfect condition. Since then, our screens are bare, and they still appear to be in perfect condition.

--Margaret Cheng

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Tue 04-Jun-13 02:03 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Do Screen Protectors Help?"
In response to Reply # 15

Lynnwood, US

I used the screen protectors for my D80 and D7000 like lens caps, for storing. Both screens are in perfect condition.

my website

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27703 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.