Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27678
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 Frame rate" Previous topic | Next topic
ndtking Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2008Sat 25-May-13 07:19 PM
213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 Frame rate"

Kitchener, CA

Hello, all

I bought a D7100 yesterday after much deliberation. I've gone through the manual, and have been experimenting. I can't get anywhere near the frame rate for 14 bit RAW that is mentioned on page 58 of the manual(5 fps) - I can get at best 2 or 3 fps. I'm trying to use exposure bracketing with 5 frames at 2.0 EV separation. I'm using shutter speeds of over 1/250, f8, no VR and ISO set at about 1000. Battery full. Is there anything I might be doing wrong? I do a lot of HDR on dark interiors where tripod is not tolerated - so hand - held is necessary. I've gotten along quite well with my D300 so far, but I'm worried the D7100 frame rate may not be up to what I need. Thanks for any suggestions.

Gerry King
Ontarian Nikonian
Flickr Gallery:www.flickr.com/photos/ndtking

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 Frame rate
JosephK Silver Member
25th May 2013
ndtking Gold Member
25th May 2013
CK Silver Member
25th May 2013
ndtking Gold Member
26th May 2013
kstrongs
26th May 2013
ndtking Gold Member
26th May 2013
txstone12 Gold Member
26th May 2013
ndtking Gold Member
26th May 2013
JosephK Silver Member
27th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
27th May 2013
Kjdnikon Silver Member
27th May 2013
ndtking Gold Member
27th May 2013
lloydbeard Silver Member
27th May 2013
elec164 Silver Member
27th May 2013

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Sat 25-May-13 07:30 PM
4188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 Frame rate"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Check the multiple noise reduction settings in the Custom Settings. You will want these turned off.

The manual says small apertures can slow you down. For testing purposes, try something much wider than f/8.

If you are doing bracketing, your shutter speed can easily drop below 1/250.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

ndtking Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2008Sat 25-May-13 10:52 PM
213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 Frame rate"
In response to Reply # 1

Kitchener, CA

Joseph, can you tell me where to find the multiple noise reduction settings? I can't seem to find them. I think I've gone through everything in the Custom Settings.

I've tried the same at f5.6 and 4.5 - same result.

I've tried outside and with high ISO, making sure shutter speeds don't go below 1/250 - no change.

I get 2 or 3 fps with RAW at 14 bit.

Gerry King
Ontarian Nikonian

CK Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004Sat 25-May-13 11:04 PM
1775 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 Frame rate"
In response to Reply # 2

Mississauga, CA

This may be way too obvious, and if so please forgive me, but have you checked to see that you are on "Continuous High" rather than "Continuous Low"?

Take care,
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

ndtking Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2008Sun 26-May-13 12:20 AM
#4. "RE: D7100 Frame rate"
In response to Reply # 3

Kitchener, CA

CK -

I must admit there are times when I have forgotten the obvious - this is not one of them. Too bad - it would have been an easy fix.

Gerry King
Ontarian Nikonian

kstrongs Registered since 04th Oct 2011Sun 26-May-13 03:28 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 Frame rate"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 26-May-13 03:29 PM by kstrongs

St. Thomas, CA

How fast a memory card are you using? I found the 95Mb/s cards work best.
There is a thread about memory cards and speeds/fps.
Here is the link.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=25668&mesg_id=25668&page=2

ndtking Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2008Sun 26-May-13 05:06 PM
#7. "RE: D7100 Frame rate"
In response to Reply # 5

Kitchener, CA

>How fast a memory card are you using? I found the 95Mb/s
>cards work best.
>There is a thread about memory cards and speeds/fps.
>Here is the link.
>
>
>http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=25668&mesg_id=25668&page=2

Thanks, I've read the thread, but it's my understanding that that only relates to how many shots you get before the frame rate slows. In my case, I can't get to the advertised frame rate at all.( My card is rated at about 30 mb/s) I'm perfectly happy with 5 to 6 frames at 5 fps, and that should be achievable until the buffer is full, but can only get about 3 fps at the best.

Gerry King
Ontarian Nikonian

txstone12 Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2012Sun 26-May-13 04:18 PM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 Frame rate"
In response to Reply # 0

Texas, US

Gerry,

RE your question,

>Joseph, can you tell me where to find the multiple noise reduction settings?

I think Joseph was referring to the Shooting Menu (pg 224 of the D7100 Manual) - Long Exposure NR, High ISO NR.... settings that would add some amount of processing time.

I am a D7000 owner - don't have the D7100 (yet), so can't experiment.

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my SmugMug Gallery.

ndtking Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2008Sun 26-May-13 05:08 PM
#8. "RE: D7100 Frame rate"
In response to Reply # 6

Kitchener, CA

Thanks, David - those are both turned off.

Gerry King
Ontarian Nikonian

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 27-May-13 01:29 AM
4188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7100 Frame rate"
In response to Reply # 6

Seattle, WA, US

David,

Thanks for the correction (custom vs shooting). My fingers got a little ahead of my brain...

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 27-May-13 05:22 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7100 Frame rate"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Is it re-focusing between frames? As an experiment, try setting AF-S or AF-C, depending on which mode you are using, to Release mode and see if there is a delay in acquiring lock on second and third frames.

Try setting it at factory defaults with the 2 button reset so see if there is a setting that has been overlooked. Use normal CH burst mode, not bracketing, to test.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Kjdnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2013Mon 27-May-13 02:11 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7100 Frame rate"
In response to Reply # 10

Batavia, US

Auto lens correction is off? If on it will slow down dramatically.

ndtking Gold Member Nikonian since 16th Jun 2008Mon 27-May-13 05:59 PM
#12. "RE: D7100 Frame rate"
In response to Reply # 11

Kitchener, CA

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone - so far nothing has worked. Is anyone else able to get 5 or 6 fps shooting RAW at 14-bit? Either the frame rate is slow on my copy, or the frame rate written in the manual is highly optimistic.

Gerry King
Ontarian Nikonian

lloydbeard Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Sep 2007Mon 27-May-13 08:07 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7100 Frame rate"
In response to Reply # 12

birmingham, US

I just tested my d7100 and did a five stop bracket at one stop variation. Yes,I use raw. My time was about one second, best as could tell. My settings for the camera are basically at camera default for most everything.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 27-May-13 08:23 PM
1984 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7100 Frame rate"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Perhaps bracketing is the issue.

I only have a D7000 with 3-frame bracketing and while using bracketing with CH it will only take the amount of frames and stop. So at maximum you can only capture 5 frames with the D7100, providing you have the bracketing set for 5 frames. If you only have 3 frames set for bracketing then it will stop after 3.

Perhaps disable bracketing and try CH with 14-bit NEF and see how many frames you can achieve then. My D7000 achieves 6-frames/second even when set to 14-bit raw+fine/JPEG.

Just a thought.

Pete

Pete

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27678 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.