Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27664
View in linear mode

Subject: "GPS unit add-on" Previous topic | Next topic
ddoonn Registered since 29th Mar 2013Sat 25-May-13 04:53 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"GPS unit add-on"

CA

Are the solmeta units the recommended units to add to a D7000 ?
How is the durability?

I like the ability of the higher end units to record orientation.

=Donald
D7000 plus more lenses than i know how to use -- new to photography with equipment inherited from my dad.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: GPS unit add-on
Snappo Silver Member
26th May 2013
ddoonn
27th May 2013
N4TVC Silver Member
31st May 2013
ddoonn
01st Jul 2013
Squirri Silver Member
01st Jul 2013
ddoonn
02nd Jul 2013
jmesseder2 Silver Member
04th Jul 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
05th Jul 2013
jmesseder2 Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
08th Jul 2013

Snappo Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2004Sun 26-May-13 07:26 PM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: GPS unit add-on"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 26-May-13 07:29 PM by Snappo

Tulsa, US

Donald, I recently acquired a Solmeta Pro2 for my D7100/D600 and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

Be patient with your Nikons and you will embark on a great new hobby. There is a learning curve involved, sure you didn't become a triathlete overnight.

an old duffer with the time to have fun,
Jim

ddoonn Registered since 29th Mar 2013Mon 27-May-13 05:31 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: GPS unit add-on"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

Jim,
Thanks for the encouragement.

Once dad's estate settles more, i will order the solmeta.

=Donald
D7000 plus more lenses than i know how to use -- new to photography with equipment inherited from my dad.

N4TVC Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2006Fri 31-May-13 11:51 AM
109 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: GPS unit add-on"
In response to Reply # 0

Burke, US

I have been using the Solmeta GeoTagger Pro for about 2 years and am very pleased with its performance. It constantly updates and it acquires a fix on cold start in about 20 seconds. I leave it and my camera on all day and have never had a photo tagged in the wrong location. Further, combined with the image angle of the lens, its compass shows me the direction and swath I was seeing with the camera.

THe only drawback is that its mount to the hotshoe is not lockable and it will slip out sometimes with rough handling. Not really a problem as the cable keeps it attached and the connectors on the cable are very tight.

I have other taggers and GPS units and none of them acquire a fix as quickly or stay current on the location as well as the GeoTagger Pro.

It has its own built-in battery and will use the camera battery if the internal is exhausted.

Hope this helps. My favorite accessory.

Charles

ddoonn Registered since 29th Mar 2013Mon 01-Jul-13 04:40 PM
#4. "RE: GPS unit add-on"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

I ordered the Solmeta Pro 2.

Will have it in 2 weeks (as my sister is delivering it with no duty or tax).

Looking forward to using it.

Does anyone mount it anywhere other than the flash shoe on the top of camera?

=Donald

Squirri Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2012Mon 01-Jul-13 06:40 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: GPS unit add-on"
In response to Reply # 3

Nottingham, GB

Wow. 20 seconds beats the Nikon GP1 that I have hands down. What is the cost - the Nikon is pricey and, actually, I can't say I'm that impressed. Takes a long time to lock on from cold and hammers the battery if you leave it running all the time(what's the point if you don't?)

It's about the only Nikon thing I'm not delighted with. Plus I'm on my second(insanely pricey) cable.

It does come with a thing that lets you clip it to the Nikon camera strap rather than the hotshot, but that's to narrow to fit the Black Magic strap that I prefer

I'm thinking about trying something else

>I have been using the Solmeta GeoTagger Pro for about 2 years
>and am very pleased with its performance. It constantly
>updates and it acquires a fix on cold start in about 20
>seconds. I leave it and my camera on all day and have never
>had a photo tagged in the wrong location. Further, combined
>with the image angle of the lens, its compass shows me the
>direction and swath I was seeing with the camera.

res ipsa loquitur

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ddoonn Registered since 29th Mar 2013Tue 02-Jul-13 08:44 PM
#6. "RE: GPS unit add-on"
In response to Reply # 5

CA

ordered from the pro shop here
A new shipment just arrived last week so there should be some left.

prices range from $100 for N1 to $300 for Pro2

https://www.ppsna.com/index.php/cPath/134?osCsid=0ugppi43r88stjif0pcmd1pku3

=Donald

jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011Thu 04-Jul-13 06:18 AM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: GPS unit add-on"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu 04-Jul-13 05:29 PM by jmesseder2

Gettysburg, US

Not to seem at all snarky but why do places such as B&H and Adorama not carry Solmeta units? What sets the brand apart that Nikonians would recommend it?

I read about the Solmeta here several months ago and would have bought one except for not having the money to match the want. But I was catalog trolling at the time I'd read the start of this thread and made the B&H/Adorama discovery and got to wondering.

On the other hand, the Pro 2 is beoming increasingly attractive as my ability to pay improves and my want-to gradually moves to the need-it category.

I've been using my phone GPS to shoot position images, then copying the position to the D7k shots in Lightroom. That's fine when it's only now and then needed, but lately I've been out and using it more, and GPS hammers the battery of my Samsung SGS3 phone.

John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
Freelance environmental journalist
Gettysburg, PA, USA
Follow me on:</font></i><br>
= www.johnmesseder.com
= my Nikonians gallery

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Fri 05-Jul-13 02:34 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: GPS unit add-on"
In response to Reply # 7

Jamison, US

The Pro 2 is excellent

jmesseder2 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2011Sat 06-Jul-13 01:26 PM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: GPS unit add-on"
In response to Reply # 8

Gettysburg, US

Thanks, Mudman. I've gone looking for reviews and find quite a few on the N2-series expressing varying degrees of displeasure. Reviews on the Pro 2 are scarce, so comments from actual users are more important than usual before I pop for $300.

John Messeder, JAFPR, MBS
Freelance environmental journalist
Gettysburg, PA, USA
Follow me on:</font></i><br>
= www.johnmesseder.com
= my Nikonians gallery

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Mon 08-Jul-13 11:32 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: GPS unit add-on"
In response to Reply # 9
Mon 08-Jul-13 11:39 PM by mudman2

Jamison, US

No problem, just took it to the UK with me and it gets location very fast and tracks perfectly

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27664 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.