Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27663
View in linear mode

Subject: "24MP vs 1.3 Crop mode for projection on HDTV" Previous topic | Next topic
Pirate123 Registered since 19th Feb 2013Sat 25-May-13 02:59 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"24MP vs 1.3 Crop mode for projection on HDTV"

Winter Garden, US

I understand you would shoot 24MP in the D7100 if you wish to print enlargements over 8x 10. What would you recommend if the goal is to project the photo on a large screen HDTV? Would you really notice much difference in a 15MP copy vs 24MP for projection purposes? I would be shooting using the 1.3 crop mode at Jpeg fine Large. (I have the D7100 on order).

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Sat 25-May-13 07:28 AM
2510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 24MP vs 1.3 Crop mode for projection on HDTV"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, US

HDTV is slightly smaller than 2MP.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sun 26-May-13 03:00 AM
532 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 24MP vs 1.3 Crop mode for projection on HDTV"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

>I understand you would shoot 24MP in the D7100 if you wish to
>print enlargements over 8x 10.

I've got 24x36 enlargements hanging all over my office that I took with my 6MP D70.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Pirate123 Registered since 19th Feb 2013Sun 26-May-13 08:33 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 24MP vs 1.3 Crop mode for projection on HDTV"
In response to Reply # 2

Winter Garden, US

Thanks for the feedback. This is very helpful.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 27-May-13 04:05 PM
26585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: 24MP vs 1.3 Crop mode for projection on HDTV"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Most HD TVs are showing something like 1388x768 (about one megapixel) or maybe as much as 2500x1900 (about 4mp). So you will see very, very little difference if your original is 15mp as opposed to 24mp - either way you are throwing away the vast majority of the information. If you downsample to 1mp, you'll be tossing 95% of the information, while you're downsampling "only" 92% if you're coming from a 15mp original. For net results, you would do about as well with the same lens on a D2h (4mp) or even D1x (5mp).

For a little perspective, an image printed on 8x10 at 300 dpi is 3000 x 2400 or a bit over 6mp - even at 8x10 you are throwing away 75% of the information.

If you print the 24mp file natively, you'll get a 20x14" print. Since it is easily possible to make a very good 24x36" from half the pixels (12mp) by using good post processing and printing technique, the 24mp cameras can clearly go much bigger. If you use the 1.3x crop mode, you'd lose a quarter compared to these numbers, but pretty obviously if you're using a HD projector, a D7100 is a massive overkill. (That doesn't mean it's of no use, just that for this application it is killing a flea with an elephant gun. An elephant gun is still very handy if you're being charged by a tyranosaurus or even a sabre tooth tiger!)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27663 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.