Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27616
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 and SB910" Previous topic | Next topic
six34sigma Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2010Thu 23-May-13 04:56 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 and SB910"

Cumming, US

Just ordered a SB910 to go with my D7100. Is the SB910 too big to work with the D7100? Should I have ordered the SB700. My thinking at the moment I ordered was a) wont need another on camera flash for a long time and b) it goes out to 17mm and will work with a WA lens c) the GN is 111.5'. Cost is not a factor but i) balance and ii) portability are. Did not see much difference between a SB910 and SB700 looking at the pics. Have a SB400 that I like if it comes down to being portable.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Sanjay

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. - Nicomachean Ethics

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 23-May-13 06:27 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 and SB910"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Once you get to know the SB910 you will be more concerned with how to carry another one. It is relatively large but well worth the added bulk to the kit. If you shoot in less than ideal conditions, day or night, you will come to love the addition of the SB9100.
There are two types of photographers; those who know how to use augmented light and those who hate the "flash look".

Almost any photo hanging in a gallery or adorning a cover of a glossy magazine was shot with augmented light and no one objects to the look. Despite that, few beginners think of improving lighting before upgrading bodies and lenses, when a larger more dramatic jump in IQ if gotten from modest improvement in use of light, with whatever lens and body they are using. A good flash like the SB910 should be higher on the priority list than any other accessory.
I take at least one SB900 every time I go out shooting, even in daylight, actually...particularly in daylight. If I have room I take a couple for remote off shoe use.

Much difference between the SB700 and SB910? No, not for general typical use but the extra power and features come into play when conditions are not so typical such as outdoor daylight fill in brighter ambient, or in an event or wedding which has a high ceiling.
What subjects and what conditions are you thinking of?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

six34sigma Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2010Thu 23-May-13 08:05 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 and SB910"
In response to Reply # 1

Cumming, US

Stan,

>There are two types of photographers; those who know how to
>use augmented light and those who hate the "flash
>look".

See the need for flash and absolutely agree that flash can positively change ones photography.

>
>Almost any photo hanging in a gallery or adorning a cover of a
>glossy magazine was shot with augmented light and no one
>objects to the look. Despite that, few beginners think of
>improving lighting before upgrading bodies and lenses,

Agree whole heartedly. See many wonder about slow lenses for example when a decent flash would "fix" the problem. Also my belief is that lighting can create or enhance a picture.

>I take at least one SB900 every time I go out shooting, even
>in daylight, actually...particularly in daylight. If I have
>room I take a couple for remote off shoe use.

LOL .... Lets start with one. My CEO/CFO does not understand photography. There will be more than one but its going to take some time.

>What subjects and what conditions are you thinking of?

1. A lot of my photography is done when I travel for work. That means in the evening. So a tripod and flash are particularly important.

2. Portraits of family, friends and general street photography. Fill flash, evening portraits .....

3. Building interiors and exteriors, have a thing for ceilings and am interested in any kind of ceiling that peaks my curiosity.

4. Doors .... always interested in a good door.

5. Also think flash in rain or fog would/could create interesting effects.

5. Of course landscapes, skylines etc. Of course a flash is going to be limited use here unless I get creative and combine people or other features.

Thanks for your help and feedback.

Cheers,
Sanjay

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. - Nicomachean Ethics

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27616 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.