Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2759
View in linear mode

Subject: "Important posting re: focus issues and hot pixels" Previous topic | Next topic
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 11:38 AM
3326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Important posting re: focus issues and hot pixels"
Sat 04-Dec-10 11:39 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Because of all the threads principally concerning focus and softness, I and a few others on the forum who are intersted in birding, have been watching the "Wildlife across the water" Blog. In his blog Dave has today just posted a piece regarding D7000 problems after taking 4000 images. That's a fair sample I think. Some of his Blog talks about hot pixels but much is regarding focus and softness.

Dave also concurs with my feelings about firmware upgrades etc. etc and says "If you must have the lastest cameras then learn to live with the fact that problems will be a fact of life until one or 2 firmware upgrades have come out, By that time prices will have fallen as stock becomes readily available and then its the best time to upgrade".

You can read his latest Blog here http://wildlifeacrossthewater.blogspot.com/

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Important posting re: focus issues and hot pixels
briantilley Moderator
04th Dec 2010
richardd300 Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
briantilley Moderator
04th Dec 2010
JPJ Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
ggriswold
04th Dec 2010
PAStime Silver Member
05th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
05th Dec 2010
PAStime Silver Member
05th Dec 2010
Dreaux
05th Dec 2010
Reply message How does this issue effect flash
Ray S
05th Dec 2010
Reply message RE: How does this issue effect flash
elec164 Silver Member
05th Dec 2010

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 04-Dec-10 11:48 AM
28768 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Important posting re: focus issues and hot pixels"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Sorry, Richard, but Dave doesn't say he has focus problems with his D7000.

His blog does mention that he saw some softness initially, but he put this down to the camera's greater pixel density, and says it was overcome by using a faster shutter speed.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 11:56 AM
3326 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Important posting re: focus issues and hot pixels"
In response to Reply # 1

Dyserth, GB

Fair comment Brian. I misread, however, he is concurring that there may be firmware updates in the future which what I hope. I am wondering now whether because this is the first Nikon camera I have bought absolutely first batch, then my others were already on later firmware updates by the time I purchased. I only joined Nikonians 18 months ago so I missed all the comments about eg. D80, D300, D90, D700 which I have owned. That may answer a lot of my questions and why all my other cameras have produced sharp images "straight out of the box".

If you feel this thread is unnecesary then please feel free to delete it.

Thanks

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 04-Dec-10 01:14 PM
28768 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Important posting re: focus issues and hot pixels"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

As was posted here yesterday, Nikon has announced that a firmware update is on the way to fix the "movie bright spots" problem; I suspect that is what Dave was referring to.

From memory, I don't think any of the firmware updates for the D80, D300 or D700 affected image sharpness or AF performance. There have been no firmware updates for the D90.

I'm still of the opinion that we should not expect a firmware update for any of the softness or overexposure issues that some people are seeing with their D7000, but I guess time will tell.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 03:07 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Important posting re: focus issues and hot pixels"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

Exactly, he states:

"...have shot nearly 4000 images since purchasing the D7000 and i must admit its doesn't seem as easy to get a critically sharp image as with say the 12mp Nikon bodies, I think this is due to the size and amount of pixels on the sensor but after some playing around with settings i have found that by using a faster shutter speed than i would normally get away with sorts the image softness and in fact many people on forums saying that they are having focus problems can be easily cured by using a higher shutter speed and refining your technique "

I completely concur with this finding. You have to be more aware of the shutter speed with the d7k, at longer focal lengths especially, you are NOT going to get away with handholding shots at 1/shutter speed settings or even slightly faster (at shorter focal lengths you can with good technique). Use that high ISO capability and increase the shutter speed.

Most of the examples I see on the web alleging back focusing/ soft image issues either have no image examples or images with EXIF data that shows the photo was taken at shutter speeds that are borderline acceptable in the circumstances for Nikon's previous generation 12 MP sensor.

I am sure like every camera model on the market that the d7k has some duds out there, but by and large these are almost certainly rare.

The hot pixel issue is an interesting one. It is certainly not surprising to see hot pixels in HD video shot on a DSLR analog sensor at high ISOs. It is more problematic when they are appearing at low ISOs or in unacceptable quantities. Canon has been dealing with this for a few years now and has not completely fixed the problem. I will be interested to see if Nikon does. It is odd that if this is a problem inherent to the camera that some people have it and some people do not. This might be a product of the numerous variables that go into hot pixels forming.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ggriswold Registered since 05th Aug 2007Sat 04-Dec-10 04:03 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Important posting re: focus issues and hot pixels"
In response to Reply # 4

Metairie, US

I have spent two days chasing down what the cause of the focus/ sharpness issues could be. Initially I believed that it was auto focus accuracy as did/do many others, but that is not what I found except with a few lenses (and very slight).
Mostly it comes down to technique and execution of the capture.
CURE:
Faster shutter speeds
Smaller f-stops

With the higher resolution of the sensor it will reveal with less mercy softer shots due to shake, soft focus or shallow DOF. I shoot with a high rez MF back and you really have to stay on point to get the most out of any imager as pixel count increases. I have found even with good FX Nikon (zooms and primes) that the old f2.8-f4 just won't cut it... you really have to move up to 5.6-f11 keeping an eye on diffraction limitations of each lens.

On a tripod you may have some benefits shooting in the Quiet Mode where the mirror comes up, pauses and then the shutter trips. Haven't tried that, just a thought.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 05-Dec-10 01:03 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Important posting re: focus issues and hot pixels"
In response to Reply # 5

Kingston, CA

>With the higher resolution of the sensor it will reveal with
>less mercy softer shots due to shake, soft focus or shallow
>DOF.

Hello,

That statement makes no sense to me. That is, unless you make an apples and oranges comparison between two camera bodies in that you compare two different magnifications of a scene.

Peter

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 05-Dec-10 01:38 PM
3149 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Important posting re: focus issues and hot pixels"
In response to Reply # 6
Sun 05-Dec-10 01:42 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Peter,
He is referring to MegaPixels.
The camera with a 16+ megapixel sensor reveals user error more.

A 12 MegaPixel Sensor is much more forgiving.

I had this same learning problem when I upgraded from the 4mp D2h to the 12mp D2x.
It seems even worst with the 16mp D7000 than it was when I got my 22mp 5D2,
perhaps due to grater pixel density?

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sun 05-Dec-10 04:40 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Important posting re: focus issues and hot pixels"
In response to Reply # 7

Kingston, CA

>A 12 MegaPixel Sensor is much more forgiving.

Hi. It is this paragraph which makes no sense:

"...have shot nearly 4000 images since purchasing the D7000 and i must admit its doesn't seem as easy to get a critically sharp image as with say the 12mp Nikon bodies, I think this is due to the size and amount of pixels on the sensor but after some playing around with settings i have found that by using a faster shutter speed than i would normally get away with sorts the image softness and in fact many people on forums saying that they are having focus problems can be easily cured by using a higher shutter speed and refining your technique "

The writer of this is not comparing apples with apples. It appears he or she has higher expectations of the higher resolution sensor. I'm guessing they are viewing images from each camera at 100%. Expecting the same sharpness when doing this means one's acceptable degree of sharpness (e.g., as described by a circle of confusion in millimeters) has changed in between bodies. That's a methodology flaw when making a comparison. This suggests the user does not understand some fundamentals. Explained another way, 100% viewing of an image from a higher resolution sensor is viewing an object at a higher magnification. One shouldn't conclude from this that it is harder to get a sharp image from a higher resolution sensor! This is subtle but critical to understand.

Peter

Dreaux Registered since 30th Nov 2010Sun 05-Dec-10 03:22 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Important posting re: focus issues and hot pixels"
In response to Reply # 5

US

What about shooting video? We are pretty much forced to you 1/60th or 1/50th for a shutter speed.
I will be primarily using the 7K for video.

Ray S Registered since 30th Oct 2010Sun 05-Dec-10 02:01 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "How does this issue effect flash"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I am getting pretty good images by following what many people have suggested her but my flash pictures still seem either a little soft or blurred. Does the concept of increasing the shutter speed work to make flash images sharper also?

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 05-Dec-10 03:09 PM
1988 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How does this issue effect flash"
In response to Reply # 8

US

I believe the answer to that will be maybe yes and maybe no.

Reason being is that there can be two possible light sources in flash photography, ambient light and flash. The flash duration is sufficiently short to be able to stop motion blur. But if the ambient light is strong enough and your shutter speed slow enough there could be a slight amount of blur noticeable in the image. The flash portion of the exposure will create sharp detail but the ambient portion could capture some motion blur that would give the appearance of softness. So if the shutter duration is short enough to eliminate the ambient light from the exposure with the flash being the sole source of illumination then shutter speed becomes irrelevant (as long as sync speed is maintained). But if the exposure includes ambient light then shutter speed will become important and to slow a speed may show motion blur.

At least I believe I explained that correctly.

Pete

Pete

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2759 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.