Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27565
View in linear mode

Subject: "New D7100 and focus" Previous topic | Next topic
Andy47 Registered since 20th Aug 2011Mon 20-May-13 06:52 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New D7100 and focus"

Albuquerque, US

My D5100 was stolen so I decided to upgrade with a D7100. My problem is that photos of people are not sharp. For portraits, I typically focus on the eye, but the focus points on the D7100 are so large, I inevitably get a good part of the face. I don't know if this is the issue or not. I printed a focus chart and tested camera & lens. Sharp, both on the tripod and hand-held. I use only AF-S, single point of focus. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, please let me know.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New D7100 and focus
JosephK Silver Member
20th May 2013
Andy47
21st May 2013
kuzzy Silver Member
20th May 2013
Andy47
21st May 2013
km6xz Moderator
21st May 2013

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 20-May-13 09:15 PM
4164 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New D7100 and focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

Any chance you have an example photo with all the EXIF data that shows the circumstances you tend to find the problem in?

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

Andy47 Registered since 20th Aug 2011Tue 21-May-13 04:14 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New D7100 and focus"
In response to Reply # 1

Albuquerque, US

Well, as usual the error is behind the camera. I looked back at yesterday's test shot and realized I had failed to keep the camera parallel to the target for my 'far right' shot, so I did it over again today and all focus points appear to be sharp. So, Marc probably had the answer when photographing people, use AF-C to mitigate movement. Thanks.

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Mon 20-May-13 10:55 PM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New D7100 and focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

I am not sure how the D5100 worked but with the D7100 AF-S mode, once locked on focus will not adjust for any movement. Try AF-C focus priority, that may solve your problem. You may just have a little movement by either the subject, yourself or both causing the problem.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

Andy47 Registered since 20th Aug 2011Tue 21-May-13 03:34 PM
#3. "RE: New D7100 and focus"
In response to Reply # 2

Albuquerque, US

Thanks, Marc.

I redid my focus test using the focus point on the far right of the viewfinder (camera on the tripod) and the focus was not nearly as sharp as when I used the center focus point.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 21-May-13 09:47 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New D7100 and focus"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

What lens are you using? Most lenses fall off a great deal in resolving power at the sides compared to the center.
If the focus is off, something will still be sharply in focus, maybe not what you intended however. When corner softness is the cause, nothing is quite perfect.
Please post an image that demonstrates what you are getting so we can make suggestions.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27565 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.