Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2756
View in linear mode

Subject: "anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
diogolp Registered since 01st Dec 2010Sat 04-Dec-10 05:54 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"

US

I was wondering if anyone has tried to take IR pictures using a filter with the d7000, and if so, how strong the IR filter seems to be.

I currently have an old point and shoot with the filter replaced for infrared, but if the d7000 is at least close in IR sensitivity to the d50 I'd be able to just carry around the one body.

weblen.deviantart.com
deogopoles.smugmug.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?
ericbowles Moderator
07th Dec 2010
egmonster Gold Member
02nd Apr 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
02nd Apr 2011
egmonster Gold Member
02nd Apr 2011
Remooc
26th Sep 2012
km6xz Moderator
26th Sep 2012
ericbowles Moderator
26th Sep 2012
Remooc
26th Sep 2012
ericbowles Moderator
26th Sep 2012
Remooc
26th Sep 2012
Remooc
26th Sep 2012
ericbowles Moderator
26th Sep 2012
ericbowles Moderator
26th Sep 2012
Remooc
02nd Oct 2012
ericbowles Moderator
02nd Oct 2012
Remooc
09th Oct 2012

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 07-Dec-10 01:57 AM
8510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I have the D7000 and an infrared filter, but conditions have not been right for a reasonable test. I'm not expecting it to work very well. Each succeeding generation of cameras has had better (or worse) filtering of IR wavelengths. Full sun exposures with the D300 were 30 seconds or more - and I expect the same or longer with the D7000. In comparison, my converted D200 has exposures at normal shutter speeds.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

egmonster Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2011Sat 02-Apr-11 01:31 AM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat 02-Apr-11 03:19 AM by egmonster

Egmont, CA

Hello everyone, I was just wondering, is the D7000 decent at Infrared right out of the box? I have read many speculations about it having "probably" having a very strong IR filter on the sensor but then i found this:

http://biozz.deviantart.com/art/D7000-Infrared-188915415

Can anyone else confirm this? I am just about to buy a D7000 and I was going to keep my D40 body to mess around with in IR but maybe I will just sell it.

Can anyone comment on the out of the box IR sensitivity of the D7000?
Cheers,
Michael

edit:
I found this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wade_bryant/5129675982/

and this:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/d7000-club/discuss/72157625662948190/?search=infrared

talking about hot pixels with infrared

weird, many pundits say the IR filter on the d7000 is very strong.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 02-Apr-11 01:39 PM
4208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 2

Alberta, CA

On your latter two links the photographer was shooting before the "hot pixel" firmware fix, and he states he will give it another try - it would be nice to know how he made out. Another poster commented as follows:

"Hey man. Just updated the firmware and it fixed the issue for me. I mean you can still se it if the lens cap is on but it doesn't show up in reasonable situations. "

Anyhow last time I checked LifePixel, I was pleasantly surprised the cost for IR Conversion had dropped way down to $250 for the standard and $300 for the enhanced. I plan to convert my D300 this fall.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

egmonster Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2011Sat 02-Apr-11 02:42 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

Egmont, CA

Yes I am very curious too. I have always loved the look of infrared. I just ordered a 77mm r72 Hoya (ouuuuuuuuuch!) and I'm looking forward to mucking around with it.

I was thinking of getting my d40 converted but apparently the lack of wb control options makes it of limited use. Drat!

I get a d7000 in a few days! Can't wait to mess with it! Hehe

Cheers
Michael

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Wed 26-Sep-12 11:26 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 4

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Hello,
New on here and this is my first post. After reading a lot on the web about the d7k IR issues, I ordered a filter for it anyway. Also being impatient, I ordered a D70 and filter as well. Before the D70 arrived I got to use the D7k with IR filter and was blown away with the images. After reading all the forums about it can't be done, I should've waited for the filter to arrive before ordering the D70. First day out with the D70 produced grainy noises shots with the first days shoot on the D7000 being far superior. I must add though I needed upto 3-4 second exposures on a bright sunny day with only a 720nm filter on.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 26-Sep-12 01:24 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

Welcome to the D7000 forum and Nikonians!
That is really interesting for those of us who are interesting in dabbling but not enough to convert a camera yet. I have always been fascinated by the IR images I see in art galleries and on web galleries.
We seem to have an innate curiosity about sounds, color and scales outside of our normal senses. When a little kid, I built a sound down converter so I could listen to ultrahigh frequencies transposed down to the audible range. It was really interesting to "hear" the sounds of everyday environments at a high range that some insects and animals could hear. Light spectrum sensitivity for insects, particularly those who seek colorful plans and end up pollinating them, are particularly sensitive to UV light.
Are you using low ISO to keep noise down or just trying to capture as much information as possible with higher ISO? Do you notice differences in coverage or hotspots among your lenses?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 26-Sep-12 02:08 PM
8510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

Welcome to Nikonians.

If you are getting grainy images on the D70, there must be something else going on to cause the problem. It could be applying excessive sharpening, contrast or using too high an ISO for the camera.

There is some benefit of resizing D7000 images that reduces noise, and there are other positives with the camera. But there is about 4 stops difference in exposures of the D70 vs. D7000. You can certainly get 3-4 second exposures on your D7000, but it requires some adjustment to camera settings and very bright light.

Both of these cameras can be used for IR under the right circumstances. I'd encourage you to do more testing. I find the sweet spot for IR images is around f/8 - wide open and the focus shift is hard to manage while stopped down tends to produce hot spots. You want to use base ISO - ISO 100 to ISO 200. And you need to watch your post processing technique to avoid creating noise.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Wed 26-Sep-12 06:13 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 7

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Thanks for the welcomes and the messages and info. I have just looked at the metadata for some of the better shots from the D7000 and for the best shots all values are between f/ 4.2 and f/8
2-4 seconds exposure
ISO between 100-400
For the D 70 f4 and 1/60th to 1/2 sec exposures but there's no info on ISO in the metadata. Most shots are grainy but some are at much lower noise levels . It was my first day out with the D70 though.

I was more than happy with the shots from the D7000 and disappointed with the D70 but as it was my first IR shoot with both cameras there is still a lot to learn.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 26-Sep-12 07:04 PM
#10. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 9

Atlanta, US

How are you processing the images? Are you using Auto levels or anything similar. How do the look unprocessed in the camera LCD?

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Wed 26-Sep-12 08:29 PM
#11. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 10

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

I am swapping the red and blue channels and changing the levels. They obviously look reddish in the LCD as a 720nm filter still let's some of the red levels of the IR spectrum through. Will try to post a photo soon after having a look to see how it's done.

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Wed 26-Sep-12 08:46 PM
#12. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 11

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

I have put a IR photo in my gallery for you to see, please ignore the blurred trees as it was a windy day. Let me know if you and all can view it as already stated I am new to this site.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 26-Sep-12 09:58 PM
#13. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 12

Atlanta, US

The image looks good. I think what is taking place is the IR filter on the sensor of the D7000 is letting enough red spectrum come through to create a reasonable exposure. This may be a change from earlier models. While IR wavelengths are blocked almost completely, near IR in the red spectrum is permitted to pass. The red spectrum for visible light normally ends around 650nm, but you still get some red all the way to 780nm.

I'm not seeing the glowing IR effect on the trees, or the dark lightless skies, which suggests it is false IR or red spectrum.

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. It makes for some very nice images, and by swapping channels you can work with color. Just enjoy it and have fun.

If you were to try a strong IR filter as in my test, you would see no visible spectrum and much longer exposures.

We have a separate IR forum and you can see the difference in some of the images posted there.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 26-Sep-12 02:52 PM
#8. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Okay - I just did some testing with my D7000. I used a strong IR filter - a B+W 87C filter which is around 810nm. I also tested using my converted D200 which has a Lifepixel Deep IR filter - approximately 810nm.

I used a Nikon 50mm f/1.4 lens.

The scene was a test landscape scene - 50% blue sky and 50% trees in full sun.

As a baseline, my converted D200 produced a correct exposure at 1/160 sec, f/8, and ISO 200.

My D7000 with no filter produced a correct exposure at 1/200 sec, f/8, ISO 200.

Using Manual Priority and the IS filter at an exposure of 1.3 seconds, f/8, and ISO 200 - the scene was nearly black.

Using Manual Priority, a timed bulb exposure of 60 seconds, f/8, and ISO 200, my scene was underexposed.

Using Manual Priority, a timed bulb exposure of 120 seconds, f/8, and ISO 200, my scene was appropriately exposed.

Now the scene could mean some variation, and a weaker filter would permit more visible light leakage, but it appears that the only way you get 2-4 second exposures is with a wide open aperture, increased ISO - maybe even Auto ISO, and probably some pretty severe light leakage from the visible spectrum.

The Deviantart link posted above in this thread shows a good bit of false IR - a little IR and a lot of leakage from the red end of the spectrum. A pure IR image would have much more contrast between the sky and sunlit grasses.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Tue 02-Oct-12 11:37 AM
#14. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 8

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Thanks for the info Eric, I've got a 850 nm filter on order and was wondering if the images come out the camera with no red colour (as with the 720nm filter) like shown in the galleries. I'm looking at getting the D70 converted and not sure to go with 720nm or higher. I would like to get the images like in the IR galleries but with no colour swapping. My thoughts are, if the images come out of the camera with no colour then I would go with the stronger filter and still be able to use the D7000 for the images you saw. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Martin .

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 02-Oct-12 01:24 PM
#15. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 14

Atlanta, US

If you can set and store a white balance in the camera, you will get images without any red cast. Many of the newer cameras do not permit a WB to be set due to the long exposure, so you may not be able to set a WB and therefore may have a red cast in RAW images.

The D70 is very good for IR. The question you will wrestle with is putting $250 into converting an older body worth just $200. You might be better to sell the D70 and pick up a D200 for conversion. It's a little more expensive but a newer body and handles IR nicely. Either camera would be a very good choice.

The D7000 is more likely to have issues with a custom WB. Lifepixel has been telling me it won't work. Since you have RAW images, you can choose a monochrome picture control for the camera and get an idea of what it might look like with a proper white balance. But it won't be exactly the same since a WB would turn the red areas white while B&W might make them gray.

Take a look at the Lifepixel site for some examples of different conversions and how they look straight from the camera and white balanced. Keep in mind you can always use a moderate conversion like 720nm and then add a stronger opaque filter if needed.

One approach with newer cameras is to simply remove the UV and IR blocking of the high pass filter (referred to as "full spectrum" conversion). That means the camera can be used conventionally or with filters for IR and UV. Of course, the filters are opaque and you still have to deal with the different focus of IR and UV. But Live View makes that a non-issue.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery

Remooc Registered since 25th Sep 2012Tue 09-Oct-12 10:52 AM
#16. "RE: anyone tried infrared filter with d7000?"
In response to Reply # 15

Newquay, Cornwall, GB

Thanks for all the info Eric, I have just received the 850 nm IR filter and looking forward to a sunny day to try it out on both the D7000 and the D70.

The cost of conversion is also a lot more here in the UK, and yes I was questioning the cost against the value of the body. The D200 does look like a more capable camera, so after some tests with the D70 and the 850 nm filter, I will be in a better position to decide on which body to convert.

Once again, thanks for all the info.

Martin.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2756 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.