Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27527
View in linear mode

Subject: "Memory card question (in D7000) re: card speeds" Previous topic | Next topic
SteveInReno Registered since 18th May 2013Mon 20-May-13 12:28 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Memory card question (in D7000) re: card speeds"

Reno, US

Hi, all! Got a general "Whatcha think?" question about a memory card issue I saw just this afternoon.

So, I'm out shooting, warm outside, camera never sitting in the direct sunlight, cards (main and backup, slot B acting as backup for slot A), and suddenly I start getting a flashing "err" on the display. Now, I just installed the second 32G flash last night, reformatted it after installing it; never a single issue with the other camera it was in (D90). Removed that second card, continued shooting.

Fast forward to home: after dumping cards to LR, I popped Slot A, dropped in the "bad" card, reformatted, and it looked fine. But this was when I saw something that made me want to post here...

Slot A card (original): SanDisk Extreme 32G Class 10 card (30MB/s)
Slot B card (new-ish): Sony 32G Class 10 card (94mb/s)

The SanDisk shows cap for 899 shots, the Sony 913 shots.

Given the speed differences of the card, could this have been a cause for an issue? Maybe some sort of timeout or checksum internally? I had the slower card in Slot A and the faster in Slot B, so I'd assumed that wouldn't be an issue. Maybe swap the two around so the primary card is the faster of the two? Haven't really read anything about speed differences being an issue in the D7000, but who knows. Just wondering what you guys thought...

Thanks for your thoughts!
Steve

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Memory card question (in D7000) re: card speeds
Sixmileman
20th May 2013
SteveInReno
20th May 2013
Chomper
20th May 2013
SteveInReno
25th May 2013
Dgastrong Gold Member
26th May 2013

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Mon 20-May-13 12:43 AM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Memory card question (in D7000) re: card speeds"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Could it be that something happened in the D90? Neither brand of 32GB card is listed by Nikon as an approved 32GB card for the D90.

SteveInReno Registered since 18th May 2013Mon 20-May-13 12:47 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Memory card question (in D7000) re: card speeds"
In response to Reply # 1

Reno, US

Thanks for replying!!

Well, I hadn't used it in the D90 that much; really only about 100 actuations (it's relatively new), and never saw a single issue with it. It was formatted once I installed it in the D7000, and I just reformatted it again after d/l'ing the images into LR this afternoon. Anything is possible, I guess, but I haven't seen any indications of any issues thus far.

I could have sworn the Sony was approved, but I'll definately double-check the "official" Nikon list. Thanks for that!

Steve

Chomper Registered since 29th Mar 2013Mon 20-May-13 02:18 PM
15 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Memory card question (in D7000) re: card speeds"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Most likely because those cards came out AFTER the D90 was released hence why you won't see it on any approved list. In cases like those, I would go to a camera shop and see if they have a spare I can try or check out forums like here to see if the card in question will work.

SteveInReno Registered since 18th May 2013Sat 25-May-13 10:45 PM
#4. "RE: Memory card question (in D7000) re: card speeds"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 25-May-13 10:49 PM by SteveInReno

Reno, US

Well, here's what some experimenting and today's shooting showed me...

Today I was using the SanDisk 32G class 10 SDHC card in my D7000. It wasn't/isn't on the Nikon approved cards list (http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17061/~/approved-memory-cards---d7000), but has been working great for the last year or so without any problems. The second card was just some 4G card I was using for overflow, which I never really hit (32G = 899 RAW images).

2 Weeks ago I replaced the 4G with a Sony 32G HDSC card, which *is* on the approved list. The new card was placed in Slot B, and I reconfig'd the layout for backup/duplication. Shortly thereafter I started seeing the errors that originally reported.

Well, today I started having errors again. I immediately removed the *new* SanDisk from Slot B, and continued shooting. 5 minutes later, an "ERR" popped up! I pulled the Sony out and replaced it with the SanDisk, and continued shooting. No further problems.

I'm thinking that (first) there might have been some kind of sync issue between the two cards during the write operations. Rather than the buffer being written twice, maybe the backup is written from the first?? Dunno...

I'll be replacing the Sony with a SanDisk of the same type and testing further. The Sony will probably be dropped in my small point-and-shoot to see if it's damaged or just questionable.

That's kinda where it sits right now, if anyone is interested!
Steve

Dgastrong Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Oct 2012Sun 26-May-13 06:33 PM
862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Memory card question (in D7000) re: card speeds"
In response to Reply # 4

Sonoita, US

Good post Steve. I have always used Sandisk 64gig (SDXC) and 32gig (SDHC) in my D7K with no issues. I had an older Panasonic camera and a Sony card and had troubles... May be just a coincidence?

Dale

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27527 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.