Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27526
View in linear mode

Subject: "Distance to subject" Previous topic | Next topic
Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 19-May-13 11:53 PM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Distance to subject"

Aventura, US

If I focus on an object, is there a way to determine how far away the object is? I'm talking about either before or after the shot but not in post processing. Do I need to buy a separate piece of equipment? I am interested in accurately determining hyperfocal distance. My lens (18-300) has very view distance markings.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Distance to subject
Kidkett Silver Member
20th May 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
20th May 2013
Kidkett Silver Member
20th May 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
20th May 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
20th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
20th May 2013
WD4MLA Silver Member
22nd May 2013

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Mon 20-May-13 11:39 AM
433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Distance to subject"
In response to Reply # 0

Campo, US

Hi Steve,

It was great with the old manual focus lenses that were marked on the lens and easy to set. I still have a 24mm that this works great with. But here is a link that you should read that will make more since to you.

http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html

Good Luck,
Bill

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 20-May-13 12:25 PM
290 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Distance to subject"
In response to Reply # 1

Aventura, US

Thanks for responding. I had actually seen that article and bookmarked it. It has a lot of good information but left me a little confused because it had so many options. After reading it I came to the conclusion that I just need to go out and experiment with some of the techniques. I actually tried a shot yesterday where I estimated the hyperfocal distance and it came out reasonably well. I'm not sure about the very far elemets. It was shot with an IR converted D7000.18-770 mm lens at 55mm, f16, 1/750s, ISO 640.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Mon 20-May-13 02:25 PM
433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Distance to subject"
In response to Reply # 2

Campo, US

OK Steve I would suggest that you buy one of the old manual focus lens at the focal length that you like. You can get them at great prices that are still in great shape. I would think the 24-35mm would work great on your camera with great depth of field at f8-22 that the old lens had. If you like that 55mm range the 35mm will put you very close to it on your camera. But the 24mm at f11 is all in focus from three feet to infinity and at f22 it’s 1.7 feet to infinity. The 24mm will be the same as the 35mm lens on your camera. I think that is the best way for you to go as you’re not going to use the long end of your lens anyway for this kind of shot.

Unless you want to mark your lens but that would be a nightmare at the different focal lengths. Check KEH.com and see what they have that doesn’t cost a lot. I trust them and you can return the lens if you don’t like it and I think they have a six month guarantee now.

Happy Shooting,
Bill

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 20-May-13 12:38 PM
2889 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Distance to subject"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hi Steve. Even if you buy an accurate external rangefinder, since your lens has very few distance marks you'll still be guessing at where to set the focus ring. It's not just your lens but most AF lenses that are deficient in this area. As already mentioned you can't beat the old manual focus lenses that had extremely good distance markings. As an example the AF 24mm f2.8 lens has only 4 markings throughout it's focus range where the manual focus 24mm f2.8 has 11. It was reduced in the newest AIS lens to 7. What forced the fewer marks is the much reduced focus ring throw in order to speed up focusing.

Len

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Mon 20-May-13 01:26 PM
#4. "RE: Distance to subject"
In response to Reply # 3

Aventura, US

You're right. So it seems as if you should auto focus on something that is approximately at the hyperfocal distance, then lock the focus or switch to manual focus, recompose and take the shot. That seems like it would work as long as there's a suitable contrasty object in the right place.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 20-May-13 03:51 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Distance to subject"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

That is what I do, very few of my lenses have useful distance markings so using AF-On and AF-C I find something that would be suitable hyperfocus point, and do not touch the AF-On button again when recomposing. It is so fast and intuitive that I never think about distance values, just visual ratio.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

WD4MLA Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Wed 22-May-13 06:27 PM
896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Distance to subject"
In response to Reply # 4

Sylva, US

Steve, It works very well to estimate the distance to the Hyperfocal point and switch to Manual. Too many folks think this is an exact science and want to get out the tape measure. I do this all the time

Jerry Jaynes
Great Smoky Mountains
of North Carolina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/by_jerry_jaynes/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27526 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.