Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27511
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using "scenes" on my D7100" Previous topic | Next topic
Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Sun 19-May-13 04:37 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using "scenes" on my D7100"

Reston, US

Hello all, I know that many Nikonians are professional photographers who know their cameras inside and out and who can adjust settings quickly to meet conditions at hand. This may be taboo to you guys
(and gals) but don't the scenes settings provide a quick way to get close to the best settings when amateurs like me have just a short time to catch a shot. What am I losing? What adjustments would you recommend to enhance these settings --and maybe store them in U1 and U2? I know that I have to adjust exposure adjustment to keep from blowing out highlights but what else? Thanks Stephen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 19-May-13 07:42 PM
25572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using "scenes" on my D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Stephen,

While I have only two bodies that have Scene exposure modes I never use them. That said, Nikon Engineers worked hard to optimize the settings that the camera selects for each one of the Scene modes to maximize the probablity of capturing very well exposed image for a given subject. In Sports mode, the camera will keep the shutter speed as high as possible in order to minimize blur due subject motion. It also sets the AF mode to Continuous AF allowing the photographer to track the movement of the subject. So Yes, the Scene modes provide a quick way to get a quality image without having to think about it.
Since I don't use Scene modes, I am not sure if Exposure Compensation will work when using them.

Best Regards,
Marty

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 19-May-13 09:30 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using "scenes" on my D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Hi Stephen,

You are correct, the scene modes are designed to quickly get settings that generally work well for the chosen scene. There is no reason not to use the scene modes while you are learning.

What you give up with the scene modes is a certain amount of control. As you learn and become more experienced in the photography style of your choosing you will find things that you can do better by choosing all of your settings.

I recommend that a new photographer should use the scene modes regularly and then experiment with other settings. As you move along you can use the scene modes less often as you figure out what works best in your common shooting situations.

Also, Check out this thread – D7000 Configuration Settings and Set-Up Spreadsheet V.2.2 – The settings listed here can help you learn important settings for various subjects - the settings are for the D7000 but they will translate easily to your D7100.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Mon 20-May-13 02:23 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using "scenes" on my D7100"
In response to Reply # 2

Reston, US

Great. Thank you for the thread info. Stephen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27511 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.