Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27497
View in linear mode

Subject: "trouble opening pix in Capture NX2" Previous topic | Next topic
Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Sun 19-May-13 02:16 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"trouble opening pix in Capture NX2"

Reston, US

Hello all, I tried to open some RAW shots taken with my D7100 in CNX but got an error message saying I couldn't do so. I noticed that the SD card also had RAW shots from my D80. I thought I reformatted the SD card but maybe not. Is the fact that I maybe did not reformat the SD card causing the problem? Any way around the problem? Thanks. Stephen

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: trouble opening pix in Capture NX2
six34sigma Silver Member
19th May 2013
Seragone Silver Member
19th May 2013
briantilley Moderator
19th May 2013
Seragone Silver Member
19th May 2013
briantilley Moderator
19th May 2013
Seragone Silver Member
19th May 2013
dm1dave Administrator
20th May 2013
six34sigma Silver Member
20th May 2013
Seragone Silver Member
20th May 2013

six34sigma Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2010Sun 19-May-13 02:37 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: trouble opening pix in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 0

Cumming, US

This seems to be a consistent problem with the D7100 and CNX. What I have found is that if you are using Nikon Transfer that corrupts (or does something) to the D7100 files. Would try this:

1. Delete CNX (and Nikon Transfer) from your system.
2. Install CNX2 (Nikon Transfer 2) from the CD that came with the D7100.
3. Upgrade to the latest version 2.7.5 (Help - Check for upgrades)
4. Format your card in the camera, take some shots .... and let us know how it goes.

Good luck.

Sanjay

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. - Nicomachean Ethics

Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Sun 19-May-13 03:19 PM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: trouble opening pix in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 1

Reston, US

Thanks Sanjay but now I am really confused. I already downloaded an upgraded version of my CNX2 program to 2.3 from a site recommended by Nikon tech help. So, what is 2.7.5?? The CD that came with the D7100 is ViewNX2. Is this the Nikon Transfer that you wrote? My first attempted download worked so I really was surprised when the second attempt failed. S

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 19-May-13 03:29 PM
28745 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: trouble opening pix in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

>Thanks Sanjay but now I am really confused.

Let me try to alleviate the confusion caused by the previous reply

Nikon Transfer was originally a standalone program, but it has since been incorporated as Nikon Transfer 2 into Nikon View NX2. The original standalone version is incompatible with NEF files from any recent Nikon camera, including the D7100, and will corrupt the files if you try to use it.

The latest versions of Nikon software are Capture NX 2.4.2 and View NX 2.7.5. Both will open NEF files from the D7100. Capture NX 2.3 is quite old, and won't. Check this thread over in our Nikon Software Forum for up-to-date download links

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Sun 19-May-13 04:09 PM
#4. "RE: trouble opening pix in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 3

Reston, US

Thanks Brian. I just spoke with a Nikon tech who is sending the internet address to download 2.4.2. I actually called Nikon tech in anticipation of the issue (before trying to transfer images) and was told that 2.3 was all I needed!! S

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 19-May-13 04:21 PM
28745 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: trouble opening pix in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 4

Paignton, GB

>Thanks Brian. I just spoke with a Nikon tech who is sending
>the internet address to download 2.4.2. I actually called
>Nikon tech in anticipation of the issue (before trying to
>transfer images) and was told that 2.3 was all I needed!!

Capture NX2.3.0 was released in late 2011, well before the D7100. The first version of Capture to support D7100 NEF's was NX2.4.1.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Sun 19-May-13 04:29 PM
#6. "RE: trouble opening pix in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 5

Reston, US

All works now! It is frustrating that I got bad info right from Nikon about the proper version to use. Really great to have you guys to help me through the quagmire. I was happy the files were not corrupted. Thanks again. S

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 20-May-13 03:30 AM
11302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: trouble opening pix in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 20-May-13 03:32 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

You should ask questions here first anytime that you run into a problem. There are very few problems that this group has not experienced and we are happy to help everyone out - that is what we are here for.

The phone techs at Nikon are probably working from a basic trouble shooting script and trying to cover every Nikon camera from the last 7 or 8 years.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

six34sigma Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2010Mon 20-May-13 01:26 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: trouble opening pix in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 2

Cumming, US

Apologies for the bad info and confusion. I started discussing capture NX2 when I should have been saying view NX2. Pleased others could step in and correct my bad post and things are working for you.

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. - Nicomachean Ethics

Seragone Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2012Mon 20-May-13 02:20 AM
#8. "RE: trouble opening pix in Capture NX2"
In response to Reply # 7

Reston, US

All is good. Thanks Stephen

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27497 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.