Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27470
View in linear mode

Subject: "Portrait pictures on a tripod" Previous topic | Next topic
lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Sat 18-May-13 04:33 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Portrait pictures on a tripod"

Panama City Beach, US

I am fairly new to photography and own a D7000 with Manfrotto tripod and ballhead. When I mount the D7000 on my tripod and rotate the camera to portrait position it is hard to "lock in" the camera without some additional camera movement, especially with the mb-d11 grip attached. I saw in a photog magazine where a camera was mounted in the portrait position on top of the tripod. Is there an accessory you can attach to my camera to mount it this way? It looks like it would be much more stable. Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Portrait pictures on a tripod
km6xz Moderator
18th May 2013
lautry Silver Member
18th May 2013
PerroneFord Silver Member
18th May 2013
lautry Silver Member
18th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
19th May 2013
lautry Silver Member
19th May 2013
RLDubbya Silver Member
19th May 2013
lautry Silver Member
19th May 2013
espeto68 Gold Member
19th May 2013
lautry Silver Member
19th May 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 18-May-13 04:49 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Portrait pictures on a tripod"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 18-May-13 04:51 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

You are probably referring to an "L" bracket. It gets its name from simply being a rigid angle cast from aluminum and machined with accurate slots and threads for permanent mounting on the camera thus allowing the camera+ L Bracket to slide into the mounting receiver in either portrait or landscape orientation. If you are going to do a lot of tripod work, it is really handy, and adds stability. I have never taken a portrait from a tripod so I do not have one but if I did portrait orientation tripod work, I would certainly get on.
I find that being able to move to positions that have a more interesting or flattering angle of view is a lot more effective than positioning the model to fit the position of the camera/tripod. Even 1 inch lateral shift can mean the difference between a flattering image and a mug shot. Others like the stability for longer exposure shots that the tripod allows.
You can see a good selection of suitable L Brackets by visiting the Nikonian's Shop on the menu at the top of the forum page.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Sat 18-May-13 05:20 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Portrait pictures on a tripod"
In response to Reply # 1

Panama City Beach, US

Thank you Stan. I will check this out right away. I was concerned about camera shake, so I was planning on shooting portraits on a tripod. You make a good point, however, about good being so close to mug shot. Maybe my new 50mm 1.8 will help me get the shutter speed up a bit so I can hand hold some of the shots. My only other lens is a 18-200 that I have a bit of a problem with shutter speed when trying to take portraits in less light. I hope my new 50mm will help me out.
Larry

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Sat 18-May-13 05:16 PM
2509 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Portrait pictures on a tripod"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, US

Sounds like the ballhead may not be up to the task. Which head are you using? Even with my D800, grip, and 70-200 I get no movement in portrait mode from my setup.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Sat 18-May-13 05:35 PM
#4. "RE: Portrait pictures on a tripod"
In response to Reply # 2

Panama City Beach, US

The model number is 498RC2, a Manfrotto.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 19-May-13 03:18 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Portrait pictures on a tripod"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

If you are getting camera shake or model movement the problem is probably light. What conditions and settings are involved?
My own shooting often involves a mix of ambient and flash/strobes/reflectors and shutter speeds of 1/250 or faster with an 70-200, 85 1.4, Sigma 50 1.4 or 50 1.2. And shake is not a problem hand held
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Sun 19-May-13 02:36 PM
#6. "RE: Portrait pictures on a tripod"
In response to Reply # 5

Panama City Beach, US

Actually I was trying to minimize the chances of camera shake ergo the tripod. For instance, when I have the 50mm on, I try to have a shutter speed of at least 1/100. If I hand held in a portrait lighting situation that did call for a flash (I have an SB700) my shutter speed goes to 1/60 and it appears to do so automatically, so I was thinking if I have to shoot with a flash at 1/60 why not shoot with a tripod to minimize my chance of shake. I guess I am a sharpness freak, but I never thought my 18-200mm was that sharp. I am not blaming the D7000 and I constantly try to improve my technique. I am curious as to how you got 1/250 using a flash.
I have high hopes for my 50mm and I will post one of the first shots I took with it hand held. It really didn't look any sharper to me than the 18-200.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

RLDubbya Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Dec 2011Sun 19-May-13 03:03 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Portrait pictures on a tripod"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>The model number is 498RC2, a Manfrotto.

I have that ballhead in the RC4 version. It's rated to 17lbs, and is a "midi" ballhead.

Reading into your post a bit: once you get the camera positioned and the ballhead locked, it's pretty solid, correct? The problem is getting it oriented precisely, and locking it into that position.

At least, that's my experience with the D7000, MBD11, and 70-200/2.8 .

A couple things: dial in more friction on the ballhead, so that when your positioning, it's not as loose. Sometimes what I'll do is loosen the friction, make the big adjustment, then crank the friction down a bit, position a little better, then lock the head. This helped me immensely, however...

It's still a bit of a PITA. Too much friction, and you overshoot moving the head; too little, and you can't control it at all.

I also have one of the 057 Magnesium Ball Heads, the fullsize version, rated to 33lbs. It's night-and-day difference in terms of precisely positioning a heavy setup easily. It's smoother, it just feels "right".

So, while the 498 is rated at 17lbs...I'm thinking we're getting at the limit of what that head can do.

Hope that helps.

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Sun 19-May-13 04:01 PM
#8. "RE: Portrait pictures on a tripod"
In response to Reply # 7

Panama City Beach, US

You are right on. I have to position the camera a little high to allow it to "settle into" position when shooting portraits. The "L" bracket solution looks good, but they want $179 for the D7000 w/ MBD-11 grip. I can always do the straighten horizon trick in post op.
People ask me if I take portrait shots and I decline because I frankly don't know squat yet about the correct procedure and posing technique. One woman approached me at a bellydance photo shoot and asked me to e-mail some shots to her because "I know you take good shots because you have the biggest camera here" So, I guess in photography size does matter in the minds of some. The D7000 with grip and 18-200 lens is quite a load and does look impressive.

Meanwhile I am practicing portrait shots on my wife and I am looking into backdrops, soft boxes etc, henceforth my questions about camera shake and position when shooting portraits. As Stan put it earlier, I don't want to take "mug shots"

Thanks for your input.

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Sun 19-May-13 04:37 PM
450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Portrait pictures on a tripod"
In response to Reply # 8

Oeiras, PT

Hi Larry,

I'm one of those who use L-brackets with my gripped D700/D90, and it works really well.
Though pay attention that if you're planning to use a cable release it won't work in portrait orientation, as the cable is connected on the left side of the camera, the same as my D90.
If i'm not wrong, only with "pro" models like D300/D700/D800 you can connect a cable on to the front side of the camera.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, D70s(IR), F100, F80, F Photomic FTn

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Sun 19-May-13 07:36 PM
#10. "RE: Portrait pictures on a tripod"
In response to Reply # 9

Panama City Beach, US

Thanks for the response. I have a remote release so hopefully that would not be a problem.
Larry

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27470 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.