Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27466
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 focus question" Previous topic | Next topic
Artilleryman33 Registered since 31st Dec 2012Sat 18-May-13 03:02 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 focus question"

Lakewood, US

I was the photographer for a ceremony at mt job I am in the military. When the parade passes it is a little blurry and not crisp. I am using the lens that came in the bundle 18-105 VR what settings should I have used?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 focus question
km6xz Moderator
18th May 2013
NDGraham Silver Member
20th May 2013
MEMcD Moderator
19th May 2013
Artilleryman33
20th May 2013
Kidkett Silver Member
20th May 2013
NDGraham Silver Member
20th May 2013
Omaha
20th May 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 18-May-13 05:33 PM
3301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 focus question"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 18-May-13 05:42 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

Hi Raymond,
First off, this image is not blurry and it is well exposed. The small scale of the posted photo prevents critical evaluation, and blowing it up to 100% results in only a small number of pixels across each face.

As general suggestions:

The 18-105VR lens is "just a kit lens" many will say but I think it is pretty darn good and well suited for the shot you took.
You have a little working against you, the sky is bright clouds so metering will be dominated by that in Matrix Mode. but in Matrix, the spot under the focus point influences the Matrix calculation. The faces will be darker shooting against the bright sky because the camera tries to prevent over exposure of the sky by lowering light transmission either by shortening the exposure time or stopping down the aperture, or lowering ISO if you are using AutoISO mode..
They are moving and your angle to them increases the need for deeper depth of field.
Considering all that I would use:
AF-C mode
1/500-1/1000 (Although they are moving relatively slowly, increasing the shutter speed would be needed to stop motion blur"
Turn VR off if using that high of shutter speed.
Matrix metering, using a focus point that is fairly close to mid-tone.
To get enough DOF, f/8 or smaller(higher numbers).
Turn on Active D-Lighting to Auto to prevent the sky from blowing out while trying to bring up the shadows a bit.
Shoot RAW so you can work with the shadows in post processing to bring the face illumination up a bit.
And, set exposure mode to Manual and Auto ISO to Auto. The reason for manual mode is you want to control shutter speed AND DOF so manual will allow that and let exposure be adjusted by Auto-ISO

The shutter speed should reduce motion and camera blur, and the depth of field increased by a stopped down aperture, and exposure taken care of by Matrix metering and Auto-ISO
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Mon 20-May-13 12:49 PM
612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 focus question"
In response to Reply # 1

Dorval (Montreal), CA

Excellent recommendations, Stan.
Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 19-May-13 08:27 PM
25745 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 focus question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Ray,

When you get a minute, please upload an image with the Exif data intact. It will be very helpful in diagnosing the problem.

Even the kit lenses are optically excellent.
For moving subjects, I would recommend using Continuous AF (AF-C) mode, with a shutter speed of about 1/250th sec. or faster as a starting point.

Best Regards,
Marty

Artilleryman33 Registered since 31st Dec 2012Mon 20-May-13 05:49 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 focus question"
In response to Reply # 2

Lakewood, US

I could not load the photo in it kept saying file to large. I am the photographer for my military unit with no training but they think I am the best they seen. I see the reason the photographer before me had the original cannon T2I. I just started doing this the last couple months due to sequester we cant buy a paid photographer. Most of my pictures are ceremonies, sporting events we do and military training. What do I need to set the camera at to get the pics could fit on here

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Mon 20-May-13 08:51 AM
434 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 focus question"
In response to Reply # 3

Campo, US

Hi Ray,

What Stan told you is right it is a good photo, it is just a little over exposed but can be taken care of when you process it. I processed it a little in Nikon Capture NX2, you can do much better with the whole file. You might want to think about shooting in RAW format or RAW + JPEG so you can do a lot better and more processing when you don’t get your exposure just right. You will be able to do so much more with your edits in RAW. You also might want to try Center Weighted Area for your exposure setting. I find that I like it; you can try it and see how it works for you. If not change it to something else that works for you. If you get the JPEG right you can delete the RAW file, no harm done. If not you can process the RAW file.

To post your photo here just make sure they are smaller than 1200 X 1200 and smaller than 300 KB, anything bigger than that, they will not upload like you found out.

Good Luck,
Bill

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Mon 20-May-13 12:55 PM
612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 focus question"
In response to Reply # 0

Dorval (Montreal), CA

Hi Raymond,
Your photo looks pretty good! Good color rendering and composition.
Did you shoot .nef or .jpg and did you try to sharpen it up in post processing? If you shot a RAW (.nef) file, you should be able to improve it to your satisfaction. Give it a try and let us know how you made out.
Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 20-May-13 02:11 PM
537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 focus question"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

Looks like a good shot to me! Certainly usable.

I'm a big believer in using fill flash for outdoor shooting. A camera-mounted speedlight will help the subjects "pop" a bit more. Be sure you are using "rear" curtain sync for moving subjects like this.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that I like to create a bit more drama in composition. In particular, I like to get down low to the ground and shoot up at the subject. The resulting perspective is different from the typical eye-level view that people are accustomed to. I think it tends to make the shot more interesting.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27466 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.