Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27434
View in linear mode

Subject: "D200 upgrade confusion -- still -- IQ" Previous topic | Next topic
Patish Registered since 20th Apr 2013Fri 17-May-13 12:40 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D200 upgrade confusion -- still -- IQ"

US

I am still confused about upgrading from my D200 for bird photography -- my longest lens is the Nikon 300mm f/4 and have the TC17e II -- so, the question remains -- DX or FX -- say, the D600 or the D7100.
D600 or D7100????
Interesting thought – same lens, same subject, from D600 and from D7100 – both cameras have the same megapixels – but D600 is FX while D7100 is DX – so, the image on the FX sensor will be smaller than on the DX – we crop both so that the image will be 8x10 – the FX had to be downsized more than the DX to get to that size – therefore, since both cameras had the same megapixels, the DX would have better IQ – since it didn’t have to be “downsized” as much???

Am I correct? If yes, then the D7100 would be the choice for ME????

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

singlerosa Silver Member Charter MemberFri 17-May-13 01:11 AM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D200 upgrade confusion -- still -- IQ"
In response to Reply # 0

St. Louis, US

I agree with your conclusion. I have a 600 and a 7000 and, for that lens with birds, would get the 7100. Unless you want to give up 1/3 of your reach for better dynamic range and shallower DOF. Since getting the D600, my D7K + 70-300VR is dedicated to backyard work with the local birds.

Jim Singler D600/D7K with a bunch of lenses and other assorted stuff

Patish Registered since 20th Apr 2013Fri 17-May-13 02:45 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D200 upgrade confusion -- still -- IQ"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>I agree with your conclusion. I have a 600 and a 7000 and,
>for that lens with birds, would get the 7100. Unless you want
>to give up 1/3 of your reach for better dynamic range and
>shallower DOF. Since getting the D600, my D7K + 70-300VR is
>dedicated to backyard work with the local birds.
>
>Jim Singler D600/D7K with a bunch of lenses and other assorted
>stuff
--------------------
Thanks Jim -- I also have to re-read the articles on DX vs FX -- for birding -- there may be something about the size of the pixels in each format and the location of the focusing points on each camera -- whether those things impact IQ.
As a Newbie here, I don't know how to post an image I took at a Seal Watch cruise -- with the D7100 and IC17e II -- from a forward moving and rocking boat -- then members could actually see a couple of photos and critique sharpness, etc..

BTW, on my D200 I walk around with the Nikon 28-300 VR -- it has given me very good results. (and I keep a wide angle in my photographer vest -- the Nikon 12-24mm)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27434 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.