Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2736
View in linear mode

Subject: "MB-D11 Batteries?" Previous topic | Next topic
wkramer Registered since 03rd Dec 2010Fri 03-Dec-10 08:06 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"MB-D11 Batteries?"
Fri 03-Dec-10 08:44 PM by wkramer

Port Washington/New York, US

I just got mine today and found out that it only holds 1 Nikon battery instead of the 2 my D80 grip held. Not a real problem.

Can you have a battery in the camera and in the grip simultaneously? Would the camera use up the one in the camera first and then use the one in the grip. I'm assuming not since there is no mention in the MB-D11 instructions about leaving a battery in the camera.

Thanks,

Did some more searching on the web and found out you can use a battery in the camera and in the grip at the same time. Have not yet discovered if both are used at the same time or if they switch when one gets low.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: MB-D11 Batteries?
briantilley Moderator
03rd Dec 2010
Obes Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
mort Gold Member
04th Dec 2010
OpticalSerenity
04th Dec 2010
ricphoto
04th Dec 2010
billD80 Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
waldo647 Silver Member
06th Dec 2010
FutureLook Silver Member
05th Dec 2010
mrginhop
05th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
05th Dec 2010
richardd300 Silver Member
06th Dec 2010
rodsky77
06th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
06th Dec 2010
yelcab
06th Dec 2010
rodsky77
06th Dec 2010
waldo647 Silver Member
17th Dec 2010

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 03-Dec-10 09:13 PM
28331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

If you have batteries in the camera and in the grip, they are used in sequence, not both at once. I believe it's possible to specify which of them gets used first in the camera menu. When the first one gets too low, the camera automatically switches to the other.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Obes Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 01:38 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 1

Brisbane, AU

Which means you have to remove the grip everytime you recharge the battery.

I liked the old grip design a lot more.

mort Gold Member Nikonian since 21st May 2007Sat 04-Dec-10 04:15 PM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 2

Aylesford, GB

I have the MB-D10 attached to my D700. The order of the batteries is grip first, camera second. When the battery in the grip gets low I take it out and charge it. On the rare occasions that it runs out whilst out using it, the camera uses the switches to the second battery. However because I will charge the grip battery at the first opportunity and the camera then switches back to using it, the battery inside the camera only needs charging every 6-8 months.

Stephen

D700 - D80
F4s for B&W film
Assorted lenses

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Sat 04-Dec-10 04:51 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 3

Atlanta, US

It takes the regular EN-EL15 right? Anyone have it in stock?

ricphoto Registered since 29th Aug 2006Sat 04-Dec-10 05:06 PM
260 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 4

Seattle, US

Call Doris at RobertsImaging.com main store...they've had a good supply

...Ric

Ric Kasnoff | Photographer
ric@ricphoto.com
http://www.ricphoto.com

http://www.twitter.com/ricphoto
http://www.vimeo.com/ricphoto

Adobe Certified Instructor | Apple Certified Trainer

Member: APA (National VP) | NANPA | NPPA | PLUS

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 04-Dec-10 07:12 PM
2120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

However because I
>will charge the grip battery at the first opportunity and the
>camera then switches back to using it, the battery inside the
>camera only needs charging every 6-8 months.

Based on reports on the D7000 battery life, it could be years before you'd have to charge the one in the body...

At the are I'm using it, my battery looks like it will stay charged between 2500-3000 actuations.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

waldo647 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2007Mon 06-Dec-10 02:50 AM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 1

SF Bay Area, US

Plus, you can select which one gets used first (presumably the one in the grip). It's in the owner's manual. I don't have my D7000 yet, but I downloaded the manual from Nikon, and have been reading in advance.

The old grip with 2 batteries, as on the D80, is nice, but it's kind of an ordeal to remove it, replace the battery door, etc. So I tended to leave it on all the time. This newer system seems to be a lot more flexible. Only once have I used the second battery, during a one-day shoot of 1,200 images.

FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Sun 05-Dec-10 10:42 AM
486 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 0

Miami, US

Pitman Photo Supplies in Miami has a healthy stock of EN-EL 15 batteries. Phone 305-256-9558

Visit my website: http://www.futurelookphotography.com

mrginhop Registered since 29th Mar 2009Sun 05-Dec-10 01:25 PM
98 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 7

Newfields, US

B&H has batteries as well.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 05-Dec-10 01:44 PM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 8

Monterey Bay, US

I am wondering if there will be an aftermarket 2 battery unit made which also gives us a greater frame rate?

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 06-Dec-10 11:46 AM
3104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 9
Mon 06-Dec-10 11:47 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

I prefer the setup you describe and it is used in the D300/700. Yes, you can set it to use the MB-D11 first, then the in-camera battery. It means that you can have easy access to the D11 battery for re-charging, However, I have marked the batteries 1 & 2 and every now and then I swop them around as batteries have a longer life if you cycle them.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

rodsky77 Registered since 08th Jan 2008Mon 06-Dec-10 11:55 AM
345 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I don't believe that there has been any other aftermarket battery
which has increased the frame rate for the previos version. A set of NiMh
batteries in the grip would do that. I would not play with the aftermarket
stuf anyway - remote shutter release - ok, grip from a different vendor - ok as
well, but anything that would supply the camera with a higher level or
an unreliable level of "juice" - I would stay away from that stuff - risk of
possible leakage or damage. I may be wrong, but i have
3 Nikon batteries of the previous generation for 4 years now - and they
still show as new in the battery menu of my D300 and D700.

Cheers,
Kevin
>I am wondering if there will be an aftermarket 2 battery unit
>made which also gives us a greater frame rate?

New Jersey Nikonian

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 06-Dec-10 03:30 PM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 12

Monterey Bay, US

I don't doubt that an aftermarket battery or a set of them in the add-on grip could increase camera performance.
When I added a large acid battery to my Kodak DC760, that camera literally came to life.
It not only increased the frame rate but also speeded the focusing.
If you can get a hold of the data, you will find due to the nature of any battery a camera will operate at a fairly wide range of power level.

I have used plenty of them successfully,
but plan on using Nikon batteries because of all the proprietary information required by the camera.
For my use the Nikon batteries are also relatively cheap at $60.

My questions have to do with the aftermarket Grips.
1. Do you think they will come out with one that holds two EN-EL 15 batteries
or one EN-EL 4a (D3) battery?
2. Would this provide more performance or just more battery life?

yelcab Registered since 30th Nov 2006Mon 06-Dec-10 04:35 PM
911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 13

San carlos, US

That MB-D11 is way too expensive as it is with respect to a $1200 camera. If they add more functionality, may be the price will be $500 and that is a no-deal.

rodsky77 Registered since 08th Jan 2008Mon 06-Dec-10 05:17 PM
345 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

From what I've seen, it will just add more battery.
I have the MB-D10 for my D700 - and this just adds more
battery - now, if you stick an EN-el4a (a $105 battery from Nikon)
into the grip - it provides the same frame rate as the NiMH batteries -
this brings it up by 1.5-2 fps, I think.

Cheers,
Kevin

New Jersey Nikonian

waldo647 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2007Fri 17-Dec-10 07:30 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: MB-D11 Batteries?"
In response to Reply # 15

SF Bay Area, US

Picked up my D7k a few days ago. Yes, it has a place on the grip to put the rubber cover. What it doesn't have is a place to put the white plastic cover that goes over the connector slot on the grip. Maybe that piece is just for shipping, but I plan to use when the grip is not in use. Also, as mentioned, this grip is easier to remove and replace, so I'll probably be taking it off occasionally. On my D80, I leave it on all the time.

There is a setting to use the grip's battery first. As suggested, it's probably a good idea to rotate the batteries to even out usage. The grip was $269 and the battery $72, at my pro shop.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2736 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.