Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27355
View in linear mode

Subject: "Issues with my D7100 at the worse time" Previous topic | Next topic
Chuckv Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2009Mon 13-May-13 08:55 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Issues with my D7100 at the worse time"

Lafayette, US

I'm in my second week of a two and half week trip in France now, then London, and then Ireland. I brought a new D7100 with a new 18-200 VRII as my light weight walk around, and my D4 with my 17-35, 24-70, and my 70-200 for my detail serious shots. Last Thursday evening I got the dreaded err on the D7100 and hit the shutter again and it cleared. Then on Saturday it started again and then would clear, and then do it again. Some pictures turn out black even though the data shown it ViewNX2 all seems to be correct.

I've reviewed all settings, nothing there, tried changing memory cards and I tried different lens and it still did it.

Any ideas??? Might require sending back to Nikon, but I hate to lose it at this point of the trip!!!

Chuck

Chuck Vincent, Nikon F100, P7000, D100, D7100, D700, D4

Nion Lens- 50 1.8, 17-35 F/2.8, 28-105 F3.5-4.5D Macro, 28-300, 24-70 2.8, 85 1.4D 70-200 2.8, 18-200 VRII

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Issues with my D7100 at the worse time
km6xz Moderator
13th May 2013
kstrongs
14th May 2013
Chuckv Silver Member
14th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
14th May 2013
Chuckv Silver Member
14th May 2013
Chuckv Silver Member
20th May 2013
B19K56 Silver Member
19th May 2013
briantilley Moderator
19th May 2013
Kjdnikon Silver Member
14th May 2013
Chuckv Silver Member
14th May 2013
Puddlepyrate2013 Silver Member
17th May 2013
Chuckv Silver Member
17th May 2013
kstrongs
17th May 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 13-May-13 09:49 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Issues with my D7100 at the worse time"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 13-May-13 09:56 PM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

Have you tried it with the other lenses to narrow down the possible causes? Are the black images really black with no recoverable data is boosted in post?
I would guess that you already tried different SD cards since that is an err that usually relates to card or lens contacts. It is possible you are holding the camera is such a way as to put a little pressure on the lens release button? That has turned out to be a common cause of the err and lockup.
If the fault is not consistent, only occurring occasionally, it might be a wasted trip to Nikon. An intermittent problem is one most hit or miss repair conditions. The bench tech is not going to sit hours taking photos to see if the problem can be reproduced. He can't guess what you meant and devote much time in trying combinations if it works for him.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

kstrongs Registered since 04th Oct 2011Tue 14-May-13 03:07 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Issues with my D7100 at the worse time"
In response to Reply # 1

St. Thomas, CA

More info please.
What lens on the D7100? You have a D4, how are the lens on the D4?
Have they failed on the D7100 as well? Are you formatting the sd card in the camera or on a computer?
Always format memory cards in camera.
Is the new lens the problem?
Again, more info please.

Chuckv Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2009Tue 14-May-13 07:47 AM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Issues with my D7100 at the worse time"
In response to Reply # 2

Lafayette, US

>More info please.
>What lens on the D7100? You have a D4, how are the lens on the
>D4?
>Have they failed on the D7100 as well? Are you formatting the
>sd card in the camera or on a computer?
>Always format memory cards in camera.
>Is the new lens the problem?
>Again, more info please.

As I mention on my original post, I had a new 18-200VRII on the D7100 when it was doing it tried the 17-35 2.8 from the D4 and it still did it. I tried changing memory cards (I always format on the camera) and it still did it. I reseated the lens several times, and I also tried putting the camera in manuel mode, all to still no avail in fixing the problem.

The last time I used it was Saturday, and it was doing it quite often, So I don't believe the tech will have a hard time producing the problem.

Chuck

Nion Lens- 50 1.8, 17-35 F/2.8, 28-105 F3.5-4.5D Macro, 28-300, 24-70 2.8, 85 1.4D 70-200 2.8, 18-200 VRII

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 14-May-13 08:55 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Issues with my D7100 at the worse time"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

Did the shutter sound the same as usual? This might be a shutter problem with no exposure taking place but creating the 28k jpg file.
The suggestions made were covering the majority of problems with Err messages (except the two button reset) so there really is not too much that can be done in the field and a trip to Nikon is probably in the future for this camera.
I downloaded the larger of the two files to see if any data for luminance was recorded and there wasn't any.
Good luck
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Chuckv Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2009Tue 14-May-13 09:01 AM
#5. "RE: Issues with my D7100 at the worse time"
In response to Reply # 4

Lafayette, US

>Did the shutter sound the same as usual? This might be a
>shutter problem with no exposure taking place but creating the
>28k jpg file.
>The suggestions made were covering the majority of problems
>with Err messages (except the two button reset) so there
>really is not too much that can be done in the field and a
>trip to Nikon is probably in the future for this camera.
>I downloaded the larger of the two files to see if any data
>for luminance was recorded and there wasn't any.
>Good luck
>Stan
>St Petersburg Russia

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

Thanks Stan, I appreciate your support! I have come to the same conclusion after trying every thing I could throw at it, that it must be internal of the camera.

Chuck

Chuckv Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2009Mon 20-May-13 04:13 AM
#13. "RE: Issues with my D7100 at the worse time"
In response to Reply # 4

Lafayette, US

>Did the shutter sound the same as usual? This might be a
>shutter problem with no exposure taking place but creating the
>28k jpg file.
>The suggestions made were covering the majority of problems
>with Err messages (except the two button reset) so there
>really is not too much that can be done in the field and a
>trip to Nikon is probably in the future for this camera.
>I downloaded the larger of the two files to see if any data
>for luminance was recorded and there wasn't any.
>Good luck
>Stan
>St Petersburg Russia

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

Stan,

There is a difference in the shutter sound when I get the err, but at times when there are other issues, such as a black screen I can't always detect a difference.

I sent a message to Nikon yesterday, and hoping to get an answer today. Departing London today and heading to Cork and then Dublin in a couple of days, and then home on Thursday. My thanks to all that have tried to help!

Chuck

B19K56 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2012Sun 19-May-13 02:42 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Issues with my D7100 at the worse time"
In response to Reply # 1

Manchester, US

>Have you tried it with the other lenses to narrow down the
>possible causes? Are the black images really black with no
>recoverable data is boosted in post?
>I would guess that you already tried different SD cards since
>that is an err that usually relates to card or lens contacts.
>It is possible you are holding the camera is such a way as to
>put a little pressure on the lens release button? That has
>turned out to be a common cause of the err and lockup.
>If the fault is not consistent, only occurring occasionally,
>it might be a wasted trip to Nikon. An intermittent problem is
>one most hit or miss repair conditions. The bench tech is not
>going to sit hours taking photos to see if the problem can be
>reproduced. He can't guess what you meant and devote much time
>in trying combinations if it works for him.
>Stan
>St Petersburg Russia

Visit
>my
[br />>Nikonians gallery].

This seems like an earlier defect Nikon had with the Coolpix 5700. It had to be sent to the Nikon repair facility to be corrected see below

5700 Service Bulletin IMPORTANT:
http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images...y/coolpix.html The link above is to a Service Advisory for - Nikon D2H, D70, N55, Coolpix 3100, Coolpix 5700, Coolpix SQ. Yesterday there were several posts concerning the COOLPIX 5700 regarding the COOLPIX 5700 regarding "black screen."

Please be advised that Nikon is taking care of this. Please go to NIKON web site at above link and print the Service Advisory Prodcut Return Form. I called Nikon to determine the legitimacy of the advisory - it is legitimate.

I hope this is not the same issue with your camera. If I remember correct it started out intermittent like yours, than nothing. It took about 2 weeks to fix. The above link does not work anymore but a google search you will see the results.

I really wish Nikon would take more time in product testing. The quality control seems to not be there, or do they care. They seem to think they have a corner, with Cannon. They better wake up. The issues with the new cameras are really beginning to make me think. I have a D3 and takes great pictures, and the D7000.

Attachment #1, (nikonusa file)

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 19-May-13 03:10 PM
28735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Issues with my D7100 at the worse time"
In response to Reply # 11

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians!

>The issues with the new cameras are really
>beginning to make me think. I have a D3 and takes great
>pictures, and the D7000.

If you look at the big picture, you'll find a certain amount of complaints about any new camera model, of any brand. When it was new, the D7000 that you are apparently happy with attracted numerous complaints of poor focus, unsharpness and incorrect exposure

By the way, your link does not work.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Kjdnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2013Tue 14-May-13 12:33 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Issues with my D7100 at the worse time"
In response to Reply # 0

Batavia, US

I ran across a thread that stated you may be able to clear this condition by removing the battery, waiting for about a minute, reinstalling the battery and powering up... Good luck

Chuckv Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2009Tue 14-May-13 12:48 PM
#7. "RE: Issues with my D7100 at the worse time"
In response to Reply # 6

Lafayette, US

>I ran across a thread that stated you may be able to clear
>this condition by removing the battery, waiting for about a
>minute, reinstalling the battery and powering up... Good
>luck

Thanks, did remove it, but didn't wait long, will try again for 1 min.
Chuck

Puddlepyrate2013 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2013Fri 17-May-13 02:21 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Issues with my D7100 at the worse time"
In response to Reply # 7

Portsmouth, US

Chuck, have you tried taking a can of air and blowing the card slots with a gentle burst. I had a similar incident with my d90, I did searches for the err and as Stan stated it is due more times then not to the card. I blow a little air in the card slot and it has taken care of the problem.
Just an idea, I do hope that despite this,you are still enjoying your vacation.

Bob

Chuckv Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2009Fri 17-May-13 06:38 PM
#9. "RE: Issues with my D7100 at the worse time"
In response to Reply # 8

Lafayette, US

>
>Chuck, have you tried taking a can of air and blowing the card
>slots with a gentle burst. I had a similar incident with my
>d90, I did searches for the err and as Stan stated it is due
>more times then not to the card. I blow a little air in the
>card slot and it has taken care of the problem.
>Just an idea, I do hope that despite this,you are still
>enjoying your vacation.
>
>Bob
>

I haven't done that since it's a new camera, but have done anything else you can imagine! I've figured out that is's a processing issue that I can duplicate somewhat no matter what else has been done the eliminate it. When I get a totally dark picture, its because the camera has set the shutter up to an xxxxxxxxx number, no matter what I've commanded it to do. If I place it in totally manuel mode I can override it most of the time and still get a decent picture, but if you look at what is displayed it makes no sense.

I've been using my D4 most of the time, but when i do use the D7100 it's a lot of work to get it right.

Thanks to all for the input.....

Chuck

kstrongs Registered since 04th Oct 2011Fri 17-May-13 08:44 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Issues with my D7100 at the worse time"
In response to Reply # 9

St. Thomas, CA

Could it be the firmware? I would replace the firmware but can not find the firmware for the D7100 on Nikons site.
Maybe a phone call to service could get you the firmware file. Then I would format a new memory card, copy firmware to card, update firmware on camera. See if problem disappears.
Most of the functions of the camera are controlled via software. The fact that you have tried other hardware type fixes suggest to me that software, (called firmware) could be the fault in this case.
If not firmware, I would send the camera to Nikon. Could be a flaw in the microprocessor circuit, part of hardware.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27355 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.