Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27332
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wow! Auto FP is the COOLEST!" Previous topic | Next topic
Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 13-May-13 12:49 AM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wow! Auto FP is the COOLEST!"

Omaha, US

I just discovered/figured out Auto-FP mode.

Is there anything these cameras can't do???

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wow! Auto FP is the COOLEST!
mklass Platinum Member
13th May 2013
Omaha
13th May 2013
Omaha
13th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
13th May 2013
Omaha
13th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
14th May 2013
Tucsonmr2
15th May 2013
DaddySS Gold Member
15th May 2013
Omaha
15th May 2013
tmcguire17 Silver Member
15th May 2013
Omaha
15th May 2013

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 13-May-13 03:38 AM
5818 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wow! Auto FP is the COOLEST!"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Make toast.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 13-May-13 12:55 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wow! Auto FP is the COOLEST!"
In response to Reply # 1

Omaha, US

>Make toast.
>

Searching through the menus now...

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 13-May-13 01:02 PM
#3. "RE: Wow! Auto FP is the COOLEST!"
In response to Reply # 2

Omaha, US

But in all seriousness, I found myself taking some informal, outdoor portraits over the weekend. I wanted an open aperture to isolate the subject, but the ambient light was way, way too bright for that at 1/250s shutter speed.

Somewhere I remembered reading about this magic "high speed sync" stuff. Looked it up, found the menu, dialed in 1/2000s on the shutter, and proceeded to take a bunch of shots with perfectly exposed fill flash.

Those Nikon guys are pretty smart, eh? I get the feeling these cameras just might catch on.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 13-May-13 01:30 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wow! Auto FP is the COOLEST!"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

As smart as the Nikon engineers are the still they still have not automated composition. It is still a manual hand craft.
Nikon's flash systems are so good it is like cheating. A few SB700 or 900's using wireless CLS iTTL is still envied by every off brand(Canon, Sony, Pentax, Leica etc):-).
Creative use of flash is usually far down the list of priorities for those interested by improving the photos by upgrading bodies.
Lighting and it effective use is not only the cheapest aspect of photography it is also by far the most improvement for time of learning effort investment. Attending a workshop on creative lighting is cheaper and more fun than any new lens or body and makes by far the most difference.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 13-May-13 01:51 PM
#5. "RE: Wow! Auto FP is the COOLEST!"
In response to Reply # 4

Omaha, US

>Nikon's flash systems are so good it is like cheating.

Absolutely 100% agree! I'm not sure its even possible to fool Nikon flashes into giving you a bad exposure. Ok, I'm sure its possible to fool Nikon flashes into giving you a bad exposure, but you'd probably have to try pretty hard.

And as someone who has way, way more invested in lighting than camera bodies, I agree with your sentiment entirely. Most of my rig consists of dedicated studio stuff...a bunch of studio strobes, as well as a home-made fluorescent setup designed to mimic Peter Hurley's Kino-Flo stuff. Of course, the big disadvantages of all that are that (a) they don't take advantage of Nikon's magic flash metering stuff and (b) they are woefully non-portable.

The future seems to be in LED gear. I'm thinking about trying out some of that stuff, but I'm also thinking about buying a few more speedlights so I can do more on-location flash work.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 14-May-13 11:14 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Wow! Auto FP is the COOLEST!"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

Within a month of getting my dslr,a d90, I designed and built a pair of 600 w/s strobes and large power supply. They work great but after starting my collection of SB900s I have only used the big strobes a couple times. I take the 900s everywhere and use then in daylight as often as night. When you need power however there is no substitute big strobes and modifiers.. it seem the places they are needed most are also a major hassle like at the beach a mile from the nearest road.
New users would be well served to put a sb700 on their list before getting caught up on a cycle of upgrading bodies. They often trade up before really exploring the real capabilities of the camera they already own.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Tucsonmr2 Registered since 08th Nov 2012Wed 15-May-13 07:14 AM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Wow! Auto FP is the COOLEST!"
In response to Reply # 6

AU

so what the hell is AUTO FP for the fools like me scratching their head....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80080326@N04

DaddySS Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006Wed 15-May-13 08:21 AM
799 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Wow! Auto FP is the COOLEST!"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed 15-May-13 08:26 AM by DaddySS

Woodcliff Lake, US

Still scratching....the link takes me to MR2 photos.

Here's Russ' explanation:

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/03/10-auto-fp-high-speed-sync-explained.html

Now I've got it!

Richard

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Wed 15-May-13 05:08 PM
#9. "RE: Wow! Auto FP is the COOLEST!"
In response to Reply # 7

Omaha, US

It breaks down like this:

These cameras have two-curtain shutters. That means that upon firing the camera, the first shutter curtain is pulled out of the way (thus exposing the sensor), then the second curtain is pulled over the sensor (thus ending the exposure).

Snap, snap. One opens. One closes.

Cool part of that is that at very high shutter speeds, the second ("closing") curtain starts closing before the first ("opening") curtain is fully out of the way. The two curtains work in tandem. The net effect is like having a narrow opening (call it a slit) passing over the sensor.

When you are using a flash, the flash burst only lasts a finite amount of time. POP! Pretty close to instantaneous (although there is a certain amount of "warm up" and "cool down" on the flash element that extends it a slight amount. But for our purposes here, you can think of the flash as being instantaneous. Zero seconds.

The problem comes in when you try to use the flash at high shutter speeds. Since at those speeds only a small sliver of the sensor is exposed at any moment in time, if you apply the flash, you will end up with that sliver getting flashed, while the rest of the sensor does not.

That's what "maximum sync speed" is all about. "Maximum sync speed" (1/250sec on my D7000) is the fastest shutter speed at which the opening curtain is fully out of the way BEFORE the closing curtain starts to close. Its the fastest speed at which the entire sensor is exposed at the same instant. Any faster, and the closing curtain starts before the opening curtain finishes.

That's also what the "rear" flash mode is all about: These cameras give you the option of firing the flash as soon as the opening curtain is out of the way (front flash, which is the standard) or waiting until just before the closing curtain starts to close (hence the name "rear" flash).

Back in the old days (with manual cameras) we would do this by accident from time to time: Run the flash, while forgetting to set the shutter to its "sync" speed. The result was partially black images.

New cameras are electronically controlled, so they don't let us make that mistake anymore. But we still have the problem of only being able to use flash at relatively slow shutter speeds.

This is where Auto-FP mode comes in. What it does is extend the duration of the flash itself so that it can be used with high shutter speeds. Instead of a "zero seconds" flash, you get one that lasts long enough to cover the full period of time from when the opening curtain first opens to when the closing curtain finally closes. Extremely nifty.

In my case, what it allowed me to do was to use fill flash on some outdoor portraits while still running a wide-open aperture (to isolate the subject).

And this Nikon stuff is absolute magic. It couldn't be easier to set up: I put the camera in "M" mode, opened the aperture all the way, then used the viewfinder's light meter to set the shutter speed until the meter read "0". IIRC, I ended up with something like 1/2000s at ISO 100. I was looking at the general direction of the background for my shot at the time. I took a few test shots (no flash), and checked them visually and with the histogram to make sure I liked it.

Then, having turned on Auto-FP mode in the menus, I turned on the flash and took some shots. I ended up deciding on turning down the flash exposure 1/3 stop (hold down the "flash" button on the side and spin the front control wheel) based on a quick visual inspection. Turned out perfect.

That's where Nikon magic is so amazing. You dial in the exposure for everything else, and it just automatically nails the exposure of the flash stuff. I was watching a webinar the other day where a photographer was explaining his flash techniques. He uses manual strobes, and was all about calculating distances and stops and inverse-square law and all that. Nothing wrong with that, but Nikon has already done all of that for you. Just set the flash and BOOM! You about can't help but nail the shot!

tmcguire17 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jun 2012Wed 15-May-13 05:13 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Wow! Auto FP is the COOLEST!"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Only downside that Ive had with it is it wont work if the flash is not on the camera. Mount my SB800 on the camera perfect take it off no go capped at 250.

Tim

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Wed 15-May-13 05:28 PM
#11. "RE: Wow! Auto FP is the COOLEST!"
In response to Reply # 10

Omaha, US

Interesting. I just tried a couple of quick tests with my SB-700 and it seems to work fine combining "Auto-FP" with commander mode.

At least the remote flash fires. I didn't look at the resulting images to see how well they were exposed.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27332 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.