Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27249
View in linear mode

Subject: "Top information panel stays lighted too long." Previous topic | Next topic
Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009Fri 10-May-13 02:30 AM
264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Top information panel stays lighted too long."
Fri 10-May-13 02:31 AM by Ellis Feibush

Summit, US

It seems the top information panel stays lighted too long on my D7000. I must have touched something because this wasn´t happening before. Any suggestions as to how to shut this off and be able to turn it on manually? I was always able to do this before, but I must have touched something that´s causing this to happen. I´m sure it´s a simple procedure but it eludes me for the moment. Any help much appreciated.

efeibush

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Top information panel stays lighted too long.
Bravozulu Silver Member
10th May 2013
Ellis Feibush Silver Member
17th May 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
17th May 2013
26th May 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
27th May 2013
28th May 2013

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 10-May-13 03:14 AM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Top information panel stays lighted too long."
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

Navigate to this menu & submenu. You can specify the length of time any display —top-back- Viewfinder —remains on.

Custom Settings>C4 This gives you option to time the "ON' viewing of most of the camera displays. To save battery power. The biggest voltage hog is the large LCD screen on the back. People who are fond of shooting and then looking at a preview of the image and/or Histogram can burn up a lot of battery power.

You do know, don't you, that the Control Panel on top tends to stay on a big even after the camera is switched off?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009Fri 17-May-13 08:55 PM
264 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Top information panel stays lighted too long."
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 17-May-13 08:59 PM by Ellis Feibush

Summit, US

Thank you Bravozulo. Knew there was a correct way to time out the top display light, just forgot it at the moment. <my top panel does not stay on after the camera on off switch is turned off. The top display panel light goes out when the camera switch is shut off. Thank you for your prompt response.

efeibush

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Fri 17-May-13 09:21 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Top information panel stays lighted too long."
In response to Reply # 2

Los Angeles, US

What else did you forget? I spent 5 months learning ( I naively thought) this camera and am now on a second cycle relearning everything once again.

In commercial aviation, we used checklists in the cockpit. Now I see why.

Another insidious battery hog are a few of the options for viewfinder icons. The viewfinder still throws up icons and info even with the camera switched off. I believe Viewfinder Grid and Viewfinder Warning are two of the worst culprits. D2&D4. Monitor Off Delay (C4) is real bad in this regard. Set it as low as is comfortable.

Good luck.

Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009Sun 26-May-13 08:22 AM
#4. "RE: Top information panel stays lighted too long."
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 26-May-13 08:24 AM by Ellis Feibush

Summit, US

Thanks for the tips Bravozulu. I still cannot seem to find the timing control for the top information panel, which would allow me to turn on this top panel light manually by turning the round switch clock wise to the "light" when I need this panel lighted. Before, it used to stay off all the time until I turned the switch on.

efeibush

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 27-May-13 01:19 AM
#5. "RE: Top information panel stays lighted too long."
In response to Reply # 4

Los Angeles, US

Menu C2. Auto Meter Off delay.

Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009Tue 28-May-13 10:33 AM
#6. "RE: Top information panel stays lighted too long."
In response to Reply # 5

Summit, US

Thanks Brovozulu for your responses however I was able to find the correct answer to this question. Perhaps I expressed the original question incorrectly, however, the answer to the problem was under the customs settings menu - d10. When set to the default setting of "off" the top information panel will light only if you manually turn the top switch to the right past "on", to the little light bulb picture. If you set d10 to "on" then the top information panel will stay lighted for a period of time. I believe it will stay on a little past the exposure meter time. Somehow I inadvertently set the switch to the "on" position. I meant to set this switch back to the "off" position.
Continual lighting of the top panel and the back monitor will help to use up battery power more quickly.
Thanks again for your interest in this problem.

efeibush

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27249 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.