Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27241
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?" Previous topic | Next topic
kkeesy Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2006Fri 10-May-13 12:39 AM
271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"

New Haven, US

DON'T NEED ANY LENSES,DOES ANYONE BEAT B&H $1199.00 BODY ONLY.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?
kstrongs
10th May 2013
billD80 Silver Member
10th May 2013
martinjp
10th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
10th May 2013
billD80 Silver Member
10th May 2013
unclemikey Platinum Member
10th May 2013
billD80 Silver Member
10th May 2013
JerryLoSardo Silver Member
10th May 2013
Ellis Feibush Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013
10th May 2013
kstrongs
10th May 2013
kkeesy Silver Member
10th May 2013
10th May 2013
micwrob Silver Member
10th May 2013
billD80 Silver Member
10th May 2013
10th May 2013
billD80 Silver Member
10th May 2013
11th May 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
11th May 2013
JerryLoSardo Silver Member
11th May 2013
six34sigma Silver Member
11th May 2013
father_fisch
15th May 2013
15th May 2013
plankowner110 Silver Member
18th Jun 2013
jjjfromcanada
01st Jul 2013
01st Jul 2013
NikonJohn2
04th Jul 2013
04th Jul 2013
kathiemt Silver Member
07th Jul 2013

kstrongs Registered since 04th Oct 2011Fri 10-May-13 01:26 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 10-May-13 03:44 AM by kstrongs

St. Thomas, CA

>DON'T NEED ANY LENSES,DOES ANYONE BEAT B&H $1199.00 BODY
>ONLY.
Try the web.
Sorry, don't mean to be rude, but B & H are reputable. That is worth a ton. I have not read a bad word about them.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 10-May-13 02:14 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>ONLY.

Milford Photo has the same price... That's where I got mine.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

martinjp Registered since 02nd Mar 2013Fri 10-May-13 02:44 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nikon and Canon control camera pricing. Authorized dealers can't discount. They can throw extras like memory cards and slightly discount some Nikon accessories. I would be suspect of any source that had too good of price on a body only sale.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 10-May-13 06:05 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

How does Nikon or Canon get away with not being sued? It has been illegal for manufacturers to dictate selling prices in the US since 1974. Margins on bodies is very narrow so there is little room for discounting if they wanted to.

Regarding where to buy, I always recommend locally owned pro shops, you might need direct service or advice someday. On-line sales can't provide the assistance or expertise that a locally owned, non-chain store can. You can go try the camera to see if it is really what you want. They have the same prices usually.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 10-May-13 12:01 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>How does Nikon or Canon get away with not being sued? It has
>been illegal for manufacturers to dictate selling prices in
>the US since 1974. Margins on bodies is very narrow so there
>is little room for discounting if they wanted to.
>
>Regarding where to buy, I always recommend locally owned pro
>shops, you might need direct service or advice someday.
>On-line sales can't provide the assistance or expertise that a
>locally owned, non-chain store can. You can go try the camera
>to see if it is really what you want. They have the same
>prices usually.
>Stan

Back in the '70's my local shop in NJ was several hundred dollars more on a given camera than B&H Photo. Now somehow I've heard that in order to protect smaller dealers, manufacturers have stipulated their items cannot be ADVERTISED below a certain price point.

Even so, our local folks here in CT have managed to remain price competitive while offering real hands on convenience. Actually B&H does as well, but I don't live in NYC.

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Fri 10-May-13 12:54 PM
630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 4

Henrico, US

>How does Nikon or Canon get away with not being sued? It has
>been illegal for manufacturers to dictate selling prices in
>the US since 1974. Margins on bodies is very narrow so there
>is little room for discounting if they wanted to.

Stan you are originally correct regarding price fixing. However a method used by many manufacturers here in the states is to put un cooperative retailers on back order for products they need to sell. Even if they fill orders for other retailers there is noting that can be done regarding this process.

In 2011, a handbag manufacturer stopped selling to an upscale retail store in California because of price discounting. That store owner sued the manufacturer and initially won the case in California. However, not being satisfied with the outcome, the handbag manufacturer took the case to the California Supreme Court and eventually all the way to the US Supreme Court. He won there. It would appear that the Judges ruling was governed by a precedent regarding physical and intellectual property. Price fixing is still illegal in the US but there are other methods to make a retailer miserable. Therefore it is easier for the retailers to allow themselves to be governed by the manufacturer and create an almost even playing field then to fight for merchandise.
>
>Regarding where to buy, I always recommend locally owned pro
>shops, you might need direct service or advice someday.
>On-line sales can't provide the assistance or expertise that a
>locally owned, non-chain store can. You can go try the camera
>to see if it is really what you want. They have the same
>prices usually.

This is good advice but here in Richmond Virginia my local shop is not staffed with quality people. I recently spend several thousand dollars with B&H while getting back into digital photography and needed some advice on several items. I called and got to speak with a sales rep who was knowledgeable, friendly, and extremely helpful. His advice helped me make a good decision and save many dollars on the items I needed. He could of just as well sold me the more expensive brand and I would have gone for that.

I'm sticking with B&H as I've found they are at least competitive if not lower in price and allow me to use my own UPS shipped number saving me money on shipping.
>Stan
>St Petersburg Russia

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 10-May-13 03:13 PM
#8. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>This is good advice but here in Richmond Virginia my local
>shop is not staffed with quality people. I recently spend
>several thousand dollars with B&H while getting back into
>digital photography and needed some advice on several items. I
>called and got to speak with a sales rep who was
>knowledgeable, friendly, and extremely helpful.

I sold cameras for Macy's to help get through grad school... Our prices were 1/3 higher than the B&H establishments blossoming in NYC. BUT we spent tons of time with customers who needed advise (which back then many high volume/low price vendors would not do).

The mistake Macy's made was not offering straight commission, thus driving quality salespeople out... which is how you wind up with unmotivated employees behind the counter. In 1981, I was selling over $250.00 an hour for Macy's, making $6.50/hr (actually Minolta offered me a sales rep. position). I sold the first Minolta X700 (it was the demo we'd just received).

If I'd really wanted to stay in retail, I'd have left Macy's and gone elsewhere (probably to B&H!). I'm not sure if Macy's even sells cameras anymore. Too bad. If local merchants don't treat sales people and customers right, they deserve what they get.

Anyway, Milford Photo has the D7100 body for $1199.00, and I got it from them, as I did the D7000 for the same price in 2010.

JerryLoSardo Silver Member Charter MemberFri 10-May-13 08:59 PM
876 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 4

Frederick, US

I would love to buy from a locally owned shop--if one existed in my town. The closest one is a Penn camera almost 40 miles away.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

Ellis Feibush Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2009Tue 02-Jul-13 11:11 PM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 4

Summit, US

For some time now both Nikon, Canon and Sony and I believe other major camera manufacturers have had a policy that stipulates all authorized dealers must sell at current MSR prices. Only when a product is discontinued and is no longer in the manufacturer's catalogue and current price list may the dealer sell these discontinued products at discounted prices. One of the major reasons customers buy at reputable online dealers such as B&H is to save the sales tax. 7% sales tax on an $ll00. camera is considerable, especially if the customer adds a lens, battery and other accessories. Also these reputable online dealers are shipping large sales items freight free.
Unfortunately, this type of price protection is a little too little and too late to protect the store front camera dealer, many, at least in my area (Northeast USA) who have gone out of business.
Also, I heard from an unreliable source, that these top camera manufacturers prefer that no one be in a position to sell their products lower than the customer can buy directly from the manufacturer onlilne.
I really feel sorry for today's camera stores; not only do they face competition from online sellers, but they must also directly compete with the camera manufacturers themselves. Not a happy situation. No wonder so many camera stores have gone out of business. In the old days when there were camera stores in every town, you couldn't even buy a roll a film or a camera from Kodak directly. Now you can buy almost anything directly from the mfg. What a sad state of affairs.

efeibush

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Fri 10-May-13 12:55 PM
630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 0

Henrico, US

>ONLY.

Same price I paid for my d-7100 and was unable to find a better price anywhere.

kstrongs Registered since 04th Oct 2011Fri 10-May-13 08:07 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 7

St. Thomas, CA

I also agree with buying locally if you can. I could of saved over 150 dollars ordering mail order from a reputable store in British Columbia. The local Henrys here are genally helpfull and dropped their price $100.00 as there was another vendor in Toronto with a $100.00 lower advertised price than Henrys and they matched that.
It is a lot easier returning product locally if needed and if we don't support our local stores, they eventually disappear.

kkeesy Silver Member Nikonian since 05th May 2006Fri 10-May-13 08:57 PM
271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 0

New Haven, US

Called B&H today got the body a Sandisk 16gb a NIKON extra battery for $1,269.00 shipped.I think I got a break because of the countless $$$$ I've spent with them over the years.Thanks guys.

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Fri 10-May-13 09:02 PM
#12. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 10

Henrico, US

>Called B&H today got the body a Sandisk 16gb a NIKON
>extra battery for $1,269.00 shipped.I think I got a break
>because of the countless $$$$ I've spent with them over the
>years.Thanks guys.
Wow that does sound like a good deal.

micwrob Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Aug 2009Fri 10-May-13 09:44 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 12

Appleton, US

Best Buy has the D7100 for the same price plus 18 mos 0% financing. As much as I like B&H I also like BB's financing plus in many case you can drive over and pick up the item.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 10-May-13 09:50 PM
#14. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 13

US

>Best Buy has the D7100 for the same price plus 18 mos 0%
>financing. As much as I like B&H I also like BB's
>financing plus in many case you can drive over and pick up the
>item.

Finance a camera? No.

Not unless you're a pro who will pay it off in 6 months, based on actual bookings.

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Fri 10-May-13 10:09 PM
#15. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 14

Henrico, US

>>Best Buy has the D7100 for the same price plus 18 mos 0%
>>financing. As much as I like B&H I also like BB's
>>financing plus in many case you can drive over and pick up
>the
>>item.
>
>Finance a camera? No.
>
>Not unless you're a pro who will pay it off in 6 months, based
>on actual bookings.

Personally BillD80, I can understand how you feel but that is really a good deal. If someone is able to pay cash for something and the vendor will allow you to pay it out over an 18 month period with no interest, I say go for it. Divide the total by 16 or 17 and make the payments.

Most of us do that with a car and we're not race car drivers. I did it with my kitchen appliances when my wife and I redid the kitchen and I'm not a chef. If one can afford the payments this seems to me to be a great way to upgrade equipment.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 10-May-13 11:06 PM
#16. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 15

US

If someone is able to pay cash for
>something and the vendor will allow you to pay it out over an
>18 month period with no interest, I say go for it. Divide the
>total by 16 or 17 and make the payments.
>
>Most of us do that with a car and we're not race car drivers.
>I did it with my kitchen appliances when my wife and I redid
>the kitchen and I'm not a chef. If one can afford the payments
>this seems to me to be a great way to upgrade equipment.

A car gets us to work, and kitchen appliances relate to how we eat. Upgrading to a non-professionally intended use camera by making payments over 18 months?

Looked at as a single purchase for business (wedding photography) it may make great sense. But the approach we're talking about is often used when money is tight elsewhere, in which case one wonders why the need for a D7100, or any camera is so strong.

It's a camera, not an oven.

But indeed, it beats buying one on a card and paying the large interest accrued over the same time period. Whatever floats the boat.

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Sat 11-May-13 12:07 AM
#17. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 16

Henrico, US

>If someone is able to pay cash for
>>something and the vendor will allow you to pay it out over
>an
>>18 month period with no interest, I say go for it. Divide
>the
>>total by 16 or 17 and make the payments.
>>
>>Most of us do that with a car and we're not race car
>drivers.
>>I did it with my kitchen appliances when my wife and I
>redid
>>the kitchen and I'm not a chef. If one can afford the
>payments
>>this seems to me to be a great way to upgrade equipment.
>
>A car gets us to work, and kitchen appliances relate to how we
>eat. Upgrading to a non-professionally intended use camera by
>making payments over 18 months?

Agreed!!
>
>Looked at as a single purchase for business (wedding
>photography) it may make great sense. But the approach we're
>talking about is often used when money is tight elsewhere, in
>which case one wonders why the need for a D7100, or any camera
>is so strong.
We're still in agreement basically. I don't think anyone should over extend themselves for any reason. However, IMHO, I'm thinking members of this group most likely could make the single payment and if so why not take advantage of this offer. I think the last line of your RE is in agreement. Am I wrong?

>
>It's a camera, not an oven.
>
>But indeed, it beats buying one on a card and paying the large
>interest accrued over the same time period. Whatever floats
>the boat.

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Sat 11-May-13 12:41 AM
381 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 17

jacksonville, US

I'll me hitting up Amazon. I'm a Prime subscriber so the 2 day shipping and the slight ($3) discount works for me

JerryLoSardo Silver Member Charter MemberSat 11-May-13 09:43 AM
876 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 18
Sat 11-May-13 09:17 PM by JerryLoSardo

Frederick, US

Depending on where you buy, there are other factors in play which, while not lowering the price, do offer incentives. For example, you can buy from Amazon through their credit card (assuming you pay the entire balance at the end of the billing period) and receive a 3% bonus in points which can be applied to a future purchase. And if you buy through Best Buy's credit card, instead of 0% financing over 18 months you can pay the entire balance in 30 days and receive an enhanced cash back bonus that equates to 5% of the cost of the camera, which can also be applied against any future purchase.

Jerry LoSardo
Frederick, Maryland

six34sigma Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2010Sat 11-May-13 11:12 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cumming, US

Right now all pricing seems to be about the same. Some financing offers over 18 months suppose that might offer a small advantage to someone that wants that sort of thing. Also noticed 2% rebate offers, effectively $24 if you pay for it now. Think BH offers this.

Regards,
Sanjay

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. - Nicomachean Ethics

father_fisch Registered since 15th May 2013Wed 15-May-13 06:41 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 20

US

I bought mine from B&H for that price. Reputation was a big deal considering how little difference I found in body-only prices...

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Wed 15-May-13 08:20 PM
#22. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 21

Henrico, US

Saw the D-7100 Kit box in Costco the other day. (They already have the D-600 and D-5200 and D-3200 Kits).

The lens is the 18-200 VR and there is the wireless connector and some other things.

plankowner110 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Apr 2004Tue 18-Jun-13 04:57 AM
469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 22

Ohio, US

I just purchased my new D7100 from Campus Camera and Imaging in Kent, Ohio for the going price. In addition, I received some freebies that sweetened the deal, plus I got a very generous trade-in on my pristine D300. I have the confidence that they stand behind the products they sell, and all the staff members are professional photographers who are a wealth of information. It pays to be a long-time loyal customer when you have an excellent full-service Nikon dealer in town.

Bill
D7100
Nikon since 1970

jjjfromcanada Registered since 29th Jan 2012Mon 01-Jul-13 01:17 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 23

Chaozhou, CN

I bought a D7100 body last week at one of the big box stores in Hong Kong for $1170. Included a few accessories including a 16gB memory card.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30889557@N05/sets/

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Mon 01-Jul-13 01:57 PM
#25. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 24

Henrico, US

>I bought a D7100 body last week at one of the big box stores
>in Hong Kong for $1170. Included a few accessories including a
>16gB memory card.

That is a good reasonable price but if you can you should really check out prices on glass. Last time I was in Hong Kong I found I could get much better prices on lenses than I could on cameras.

NikonJohn2 Registered since 23rd Jun 2013Thu 04-Jul-13 05:29 PM
87 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 25

US

I recently bought a new lens from B$H at retail price and it was open boxed, sloppily packaged with mangled owners manual. I was very disapointed in them.

unclemikey Platinum Member Nikonian since 29th Apr 2013Thu 04-Jul-13 08:54 PM
#28. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 27

Henrico, US

>I recently bought a new lens from B$H at retail price and it
>was open boxed, sloppily packaged with mangled owners manual.
>I was very disapointed in them.
If you call them they will exchange it in a heartbeat.

kathiemt Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Sun 07-Jul-13 09:11 AM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: D7100 WHO HAS THE BEST DEAL?"
In response to Reply # 0

Selby, AU

I'm in Melbourne Australia and would love to know where to get the 7100 from. Checked out Ted's Camera yesterday but they seem to be more expensive than Camera House. I was told about one company I can buy online, and they get it from Singapore but I'd want to be sure I was covered by warranty and local support before deciding to go that way.

Kathie M. Thomas
Nikon D90 & D60, 35mm, 60mm, 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 70-300mm and...
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kathiesphotos
Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Melbourne-Nikon-Lovers/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27241 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.