Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27197
View in linear mode

Subject: "New DSLR user, D7100 question" Previous topic | Next topic
NNT Registered since 08th May 2013Wed 08-May-13 10:54 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New DSLR user, D7100 question"

CA

Bought a D7100 as my first DSLR about 2 weeks ago, been playing around with it and overall and very impress with this camera. Run into my first question and cant seems find the answer.
When switch to manual focus (M on lens and Af on body), I can still move the focus point using the "Multi selector" like in autofocus. correct me if I am wrong but in manual focus whats the purpose of setting the focus point since i am focusing manually? the only reason I can thing of is when using spot metering which it will use that focus point to meter off center subject, assume i am using Matrix metering does that focus point serve any purpose?

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Wed 08-May-13 11:22 PM
4142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New DSLR user, D7100 question"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 08-May-13 11:25 PM by JosephK

Seattle, WA, US

By moving the active focus point, you can have the camera check your focus by using the in-focus dot and range-finder arrows in the lower-left of the view finder.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

NNT Registered since 08th May 2013Thu 09-May-13 04:03 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New DSLR user, D7100 question"
In response to Reply # 1

CA

Thanks

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 09-May-13 10:56 AM
8507 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New DSLR user, D7100 question"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

The focus point is used for metering. Even with Matrix metering, a higher weight is applied to the area with the focus point. The focus point is also the area that is "zoomed" when you are using Live View.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27197 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.