Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27188
View in linear mode

Subject: "Question about monitor on D7100" Previous topic | Next topic
cbertel Registered since 08th May 2013Wed 08-May-13 04:29 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Question about monitor on D7100"

Blacksburg, US

I just bought a D7100, upgrading from the D5100, on which I basically learned about photography. One thing that I liked about the D5100 was that the monitor/control panel was on a little screen that flipped open and shut AND it also displayed the camera's current settings quite clearly, when I ppressed the shutter button half-way down. On the D7100, I can see that sort of display, but only when I push the "I" button. Is there any way to see this sort of display other than by pushing the "i" button? I get it that the control panel up top seems to be taking the place of the D5100's version of the panel, but still it would be nice to have this feature available more easily. Since the Nikon manual is not completely user friendly (i.e., on choosing autofocus points), I just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Cindy

Cynthia D. Bertelsen
Discover something new every day. ~~ James Still
Gherkins & Tomatoes: Meditations and Photographs about Food History, Cooking, and Life
Author of forthcoming Mushroom: A Global History (Reaktion Books, UK, Fall 2013)
Twitter: twitter.com/gherkinstomato
Facebook: www.facebook.com/cynthia.bertelsen
Pinterest: pinterest.com/cdbertel/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 09-May-13 11:44 AM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Question about monitor on D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

I don't own a D7100, but rather a D7000 so take this information with a bit of flexibility. It appears that Live View, when used for still photography, only shows the shooting settings when you push the "i" button.

In general, as you go up the Nikon line of DSLRs, reliance on Live View for photography diminishes (and logically Live View features as well). I doubt you'll see a swivel screen on a D4-level camera any time soon.

One thing you might pursue is using a smartphone for monitor and control of the D7100. That might give you display of the shooting settings without having to press the "i" button. I'm not familiar with the apps out there so you'd have to do your own research.

Welcome to the Nikonians, enjoy your new D7100 and good luck.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

cbertel Registered since 08th May 2013Thu 09-May-13 03:11 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Question about monitor on D7100"
In response to Reply # 1

Blacksburg, US

Thank you, I will look into your suggestions and see if they work for me.

I am getting used to pushing the "i" button and also the control panel.

Cynthia D. Bertelsen
Gherkins & Tomatoes: Meditations and Photographs about Food History, Cooking, and Life
Author of forthcoming Mushroom: A Global History (Reaktion Books, UK, Fall 2013)

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Thu 09-May-13 04:41 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Question about monitor on D7100"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 09-May-13 04:46 PM by gfinlayson

Maidenhead, GB

The only way to get the full LCD panel up is with the 'i' or 'info' buttons. The D7000 is able to be configured such that turning the on-off switch to the illuminated setting would show up the info screen by setting it in custom menu f1. This feature seems to have been dropped from the D7100 though.

You will get used to the D7100. The nice thing about having the controls on the body is that you can adjust almost anything on the fly without having to resort to the menu, which I found very frustrating with the D5100. Eventually, most of it will become so intuitive that you'll be able to change most settings without taking your eye away from the viewfinder.

Choosing autofocus points is really easy on the D7100. As long as you're not in Auto area AF, and as long as the lock dial around the OK button is not set to L, you can change the focus point by pressing the multi-selector in which ever direction you want to move the focus point. You can choose from any one of the 51 available points this way.

If you need to change focus points really quickly, it's often easier to reduce the manually selectable focus points to 11 in menu a6. I tend to use this when shooting wildlife - scrolling around all 51 points takes too long and I miss shots.

cbertel Registered since 08th May 2013Fri 10-May-13 01:03 AM
#4. "RE: Question about monitor on D7100"
In response to Reply # 3

Blacksburg, US

Thank you,gfinlayson. I am finding my way around a little better with this camera, the D7100. Getting used to it, not unlike learning how to use a new computer!

Cynthia D. Bertelsen

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27188 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.