Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27135
View in linear mode

Subject: "New 85 f1.8g lens" Previous topic | Next topic
jerryray Silver Member Charter MemberMon 06-May-13 04:38 PM
319 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New 85 f1.8g lens"

NYC, US

Will the new Nikon 85 f1.8 work ok in my D7100?
Do I need 1.3 mode on?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 06-May-13 05:18 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New 85 f1.8g lens"
In response to Reply # 0

US

ALL FX or full-frame lenses will work on the D7100, without using the crop mode. I use the 85/1.8 on my D7100, and the results are tack sharp.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

jerryray Silver Member Charter MemberTue 07-May-13 01:44 AM
319 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New 85 f1.8g lens"
In response to Reply # 1

NYC, US

Thanks, just trying to find a lens. Everyone is out of stock.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 07-May-13 07:10 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New 85 f1.8g lens"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

It is in high demand since it is one of the true bargains in lenses. The f1.8 G version is just a notch below the 85 1.4G in bokeh but actually lower CA. A lot of D800 shooters are using it as a portrait lens on FX while being $1200 less than its big brother 1.4G. On Dx, it has the narrower field of view making it more of a head shot lens and with the 1.3 crop mode it becomes a seriously good telephoto with the same field of view as a 170mm on FX.
It is so good that when Nikon introduced the IQ champ D800, some of their promo sample shots released to the press were done with the 85 1.8G.
You will enjoy it, if you can find one.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27135 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.