Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27090
View in linear mode

Subject: "Image designation" Previous topic | Next topic
fsudebbie Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2008Sun 05-May-13 05:59 PM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Image designation"

Port Charlotte, FL, US

This may be a silly question but here goes. I own a D50 and D7100. All my saved images from the D50 begin with the Nikon default designation DSC. If I use the same designation with images from the D7100, when the numbers coincide with those already saved on my computer, will they be overwritten? For example image DSC 0002 from the D50 and DSC 0002 from the D7100.

Debbie D. (Port Charlotte, FL)
Now shooting nice things for fun instead of gross things for a living.

Nikon D50, D7100, 28-80/3.3, 70-300/4, 300/4, Sigma 10-20/4, Kenko 1.4 TC, Manfrotto tripod & monopod, Werner ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Image designation
km6xz Moderator
05th May 2013
golfercat Silver Member
05th May 2013
kodiak photo Silver Member
05th May 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
05th May 2013
kodiak photo Silver Member
05th May 2013
fsudebbie Silver Member
06th May 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 05-May-13 06:36 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Image designation"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

They can be overwritten if in the same directory. Most import software gives the option to assign a more appropriate name for the entire upload batch so that would not be a problem even if you upload to the same directory. "Disneyland_102", "Disneyland_103" etc makes a lot more sense than DSC_002, DSC_003.
How are you importing your files to you computer? Lightroom, ViewNX2, DxO, CaptureOne, Aperture and others all allow assigning a prefix or suffix name or date for all the files for the upload, and will warn if there is a conflict with an existing file.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Sun 05-May-13 07:05 PM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Image designation"
In response to Reply # 0

Menifee, US

Not a silly question. Refer to page 226 of your manual for the File Naming option. You can select any 3 letters for file naming.
Have Fun

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Sun 05-May-13 07:12 PM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Image designation"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 05-May-13 07:16 PM by kodiak photo

Montréal, (Qc), CA

Hello Debbie,

<… will they be overwritten? > Not silly at all!

Once transferring files to your computer, the data becomes "computer managed".
Consequently, the computer will not accept two or more files with the same name
at the same place. For example, if there is already a file named DSC 002 on your
desktop, another one will not be accepted as is. Your computer will alarm you:
1• …this name already exist at this destination. Do you want to replace it with
the new one? or
2• giving you the options to either "replace", "keep both" (in which case the com-
puter will add a character to the new one), or "stop". I'm on Mac, don't know about
Window, but there should be something like that.

I adopted, for the sake of clarity and safety, a simple system to name the folder
that contains my RAW files.

My cameras use CF cards. These CF cards bare the name of the camera they are
used with (in my case Nikon D3X, in your case D50 and D7100 for example). On
these cards there is a folder that contains my RAW files. This folder is named also
with a designation that tells me it may come only from that card (card #8: 888D3X)
as that card is only used with this camera. I always copy this folder to my computer
and back it up before reformatting the card in the camera, ready to shoot again.

The individual files may have any name (D3X_1234.NEF) and, if another one already
exist at a given destination, since the new incoming files are in their own folder,
there is never any problem. That is, if I did not forget to rename the previous folder
with the event name or the subject name before I copied it to my archive and made
a back up.

I hope this is of some help.

Have a good time!

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Sun 05-May-13 09:55 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Image designation"
In response to Reply # 0

Maidenhead, GB

I've set the file naming on mine to D71_xxxx, so that they're distinct from my D7K_xxxx files from my D7000.

kodiak photo Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2013Sun 05-May-13 09:58 PM
734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Image designation"
In response to Reply # 4

Montréal, (Qc), CA

Nice way to do it! Well done.

Kodiak
Groovy Shootings
Image Média
www.kodiakmedia.at

fsudebbie Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2008Mon 06-May-13 01:09 AM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Image designation"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, FL, US

Thanks all. Great info and great ideas for organizing the files. I import using NikonTransfer into ViewNX2.

As I recall now when I used the D200 at work they had changed each file to our initials so they would know who's camera took which pictures. I had forgotten that. I don't think the D50 had that option.

Debbie D. (Port Charlotte, FL)
Now shooting nice things for fun instead of gross things for a living.

Nikon D50, D7100, 28-80/3.3, 70-300/4, 300/4, Sigma 10-20/4, Kenko 1.4 TC, Manfrotto tripod & monopod, Werner ballhead

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27090 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.