Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27066
View in linear mode

Subject: "Jump from one card to the other in Preview?" Previous topic | Next topic
doppler_fto Registered since 23rd Mar 2013Sun 05-May-13 04:05 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Jump from one card to the other in Preview?"

US

Howdy, y'all

The D7100 is my first camera with two memory card slots, so forgive me if I'm missing something simple. If I'm somewhere in the previews, is there a straightforward way for me to jump to the beginning of the current card, or to the end of the other card?

My actual usecase is this: I have a portable printer (the Polaroid Pogo). I'm trying to print only specific images to it wirelessly, and the only way I can think of is to use my smartphone as an intermediary.

So I have my normal (class 10) SD card in slot 1, and I have an EyeFi class 6 card in slot 2. I have the camera set to write RAW images to slot 1 and JPEGs to slot 2. This is because (1) I only have one EyeFi card, so if it fills up, I can no longer print, and (2) I need RAW files for my normal processing workflow.

So I have the EyeFi set up to only transmit images to my phone when I mark an image as Protected. My phone, acting as a WiFi hotspot, receives those specific images, and lets me do any cropping or whatever and then send the image to the printer via Bluetooth.

This all works pretty well, except that after I take an image, Preview shows me the NEF copy, and I have no easy way to jump to the JPEG copy of that image. If I could jump to the end of card2, or jump to the beginning of card1 and then go back one, this would be easy.

The workaround I've been using so far is to just eject card1, at which point the camera jumps to the end of card2 and I can mark that image as Protected. This is pretty risky, though, because if I eject the card while the camera is writing, I could corrupt the entire filesystem and lose all of those images. That's a big risk that I'd really rather not take.

------------------------------------------------------------
I make prints
  of moments
    that people love.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Jump from one card to the other in Preview?
km6xz Moderator
05th May 2013
doppler_fto
06th May 2013
Canuck 1 Silver Member
05th Jun 2013
km6xz Moderator
05th Jun 2013
jerryray Silver Member
07th Jun 2013
elec164 Silver Member
07th Jun 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 05-May-13 07:44 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Jump from one card to the other in Preview?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Why not just select the #2 slot for preview?

In preview mode press the Bracket button while pressing the UP multi-selector to choose which slot you are viewing.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

doppler_fto Registered since 23rd Mar 2013Mon 06-May-13 04:35 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Jump from one card to the other in Preview?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

That's what I was looking for; thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------
I make prints
  of moments
    that people love.

Canuck 1 Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Sep 2007Wed 05-Jun-13 03:06 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Jump from one card to the other in Preview?"
In response to Reply # 1

Tumbler Ridge, CA

>Why not just select the #2 slot for preview?
>
>In preview mode press the Bracket button while pressing the UP
>multi-selector to choose which slot you are viewing.
>Stan
>St Petersburg Russia

Visit
>my
>Nikonians gallery>.

Thank You for that Stan. I did not know that either.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Wed 05-Jun-13 11:28 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Jump from one card to the other in Preview?"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

These darned cameras are getting so filled with features that no one knows them all, probably no one at Nikon does either. That is one reason I do not suggest upgrading until there is a real reason to, since few people really get to know their camera before it is replaced with one with even thicker manual.
I still learn about new features or functions every week on my D7000, despite reading the manual cover to cover before using it. When I got the D800, I left the manual in its plastic wrapping and headed off on a trip, and never did read it. I am sure there are features that might be useful but if I have not thought of it or missed it, I probably did not need it in the first place;>)
Contrary to popular opinion, I like the Nikon manuals, lots of areas covered in a compact form. If someone reads it, they will know a great deal about their camera and its use.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

jerryray Silver Member Charter MemberFri 07-Jun-13 05:14 AM
319 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Jump from one card to the other in Preview?"
In response to Reply # 3

NYC, US

Stan, was that in the manual anywhere?

>>Why not just select the #2 slot for preview?
>>
>>In preview mode press the Bracket button while pressing
>the UP
>>multi-selector to choose which slot you are viewing.
>>Stan
>>St Petersburg Russia

Visit
>>my
>>Nikonians gallery>.

>Thank You for that Stan. I did not know that either.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 07-Jun-13 02:54 PM
1896 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Jump from one card to the other in Preview?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Stan, was that in the manual anywhere?
>
>>>Why not just select the #2 slot for preview?

In lieu of Stan, it's on page 186 of the D7100 manual (pg 164 of D7000).

I only have a D7000 not aD7100, but the instruction appears the same. So unless I'm missing something (or they changed the way the D7100 functions), selecting the card slot in that manner puts you at the first image of that folder, and the choice is not sticky.

But to accomplish the OP's goal, you use the bracket button with the up arrow of the Multi-selector and re-choose slot 1 which dumps you to the first image of the NEF folder, then just back up one to get to the last image of slot 2 JPEG folder.

Pete

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27066 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.