Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27049
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 ODOR" Previous topic | Next topic
NIKKORMAT LOVER Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2008Sat 04-May-13 01:12 PM
135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 ODOR"

NORTH DIGHTON, US

Here is an off-the-wall question. I recently bought a used D7000 body, which smells like it came from a smoker's home. Is there any way to get rid of that odor? Thanks. If this is in the wrong forum, please move it. Thanks again.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 ODOR
Puddlepyrate2013 Silver Member
05th May 2013
kentak Silver Member
05th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
05th May 2013
EZRDRZ
05th May 2013
kentak Silver Member
05th May 2013
Cousin Silver Member
05th May 2013
NIKKORMAT LOVER Silver Member
05th May 2013
EZRDRZ
06th May 2013
kentak Silver Member
06th May 2013
six34sigma Silver Member
05th May 2013
Omaha
05th May 2013
SaskPhotog
05th May 2013
dm1dave Administrator
05th May 2013
Omaha
06th May 2013
Tucsonmr2
07th May 2013
Puddlepyrate2013 Silver Member
08th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
09th May 2013
Patrick604
11th May 2013
Castlk
12th May 2013

Puddlepyrate2013 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2013Sun 05-May-13 02:02 AM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 0

Portsmouth, US

After 21+ years of doing pro photography, this is the first for me. You could try putting the camera into a paper bag with an open box of baking soda. The baking soda absorbs odors and might work or spray a rag with Febreeze and put it in a paper bag taking care not to let the two touch.
If all else fails, just tell people you have a smoking camera!

Bob

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 05-May-13 03:10 AM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I might try wiping the camera thoroughly with a fuzzy microfiber cloth sprayed lightly with a scented organic based cleaner, such as the excellent Method brand all purpose cleaners. Something with a citrus cent would be my choice. Pay special attention to the areas where a smoker's hands would grip the camera.

BTW, this would bug the hell out of me.

Kent

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 05-May-13 08:51 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 05-May-13 08:52 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

There are lots of effective ways: Mix water white wine vinegar in a 3:1 ratio and wipe down the rubber surfaces. A rubber restorer, which works as a deoxidizer, also works if you want to buy something.
Putting the camera in a box or plastic bag with materials that absorb and neutralize odor such as un-brewed coffee grounds in an open container, vanilla extract poured in a low sided dish, open container of baking soda or activated charcoal.
The rubber is the main site of absorption on a camera but the plastic is not immune by any means. So rubber restorer a good long term maintenance item to have in your kit because Nikon rubber, probably Neoprene, is subject to damage by sun block, some people's skin chemistry, and many other chemicals that cause the rubber to swell, stretch, turn whitish grey, and fall off eventually. DEET insect repellant is pretty rough on the rubber also. A good rubber restorer can counter those effects but will also eliminate odors and keep the rubber parts pliable and soft, besides looking new.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

EZRDRZ Registered since 20th Jan 2013Sun 05-May-13 09:53 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Hi,

What a strange story.

Nevertheless I would say the baking soda idea is a good one it is good for absorbing smell/odor.

I would say leave it in a seeled container thats obviously big enough to contain the camera and I suppose at LEAST 500g baking soda in a bowl...

Befor doing this I would suggest you could wipe the camera with a clean but dampened cloth- taking care not to get too much dampness on the buttons etc, the D7000 IS SUPPOSED to be quite "well sealed", but I know it obviously isnt water proof or even water tight. I have got my D7000 quite wet in the rain and it went into error and shut down untill it had time to dry an everything it back to normal. So its not very splash proof either. But once you feel its been cleaned you could try wiping it with PTFE lube or silicone thats been sprayed onto a cloth. Again take care not to get too much on. This would also help expell the ODOR, I would say even the odor of PTFE lupe is better than the smell of cigarette fingers .

Maybe somebdoy has comments on the use of PTFE lube or silicone on Nikon Rubber? But I am sure a bit will be ok as a suggestion.

Regards

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Sun 05-May-13 10:54 AM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>Maybe somebdoy has comments on the use of PTFE lube or
>silicone on Nikon Rubber? But I am sure a bit will be ok as a
>suggestion.
>
>Regards

My concern for using those products would be 1) leaving the rubber slippery--not good for a camera grip, and 2) possible softening of the adhesive under the rubber.

While baking soda will absorb odors in the air, I'm not sure it will "pull" odors off of surfaces to which they have adhered. Won't hurt to try, at least.

As a last resort, attach the camera to the top of your car and go through an automatic car wash a couple times. Or, take up smoking.

Kent

Cousin Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2011Sun 05-May-13 11:44 AM
134 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 5

Kilmore, AU

If the above ideas don't work, see if you can find a good flood/fire restorer (carpets, building contents etc) in your area
They generally have some very good solutions to this very problem

Michael

NIKKORMAT LOVER Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Aug 2008Sun 05-May-13 12:41 PM
135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 6

NORTH DIGHTON, US

Thanks for all the good ideas. I am a former two-pack-per-day smoker, and it's a nuisance. Thanks again.

EZRDRZ Registered since 20th Jan 2013Mon 06-May-13 11:46 AM
60 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

>My concern for using those products would be 1) leaving the
>rubber slippery--not good for a camera grip, and 2) possible
>softening of the adhesive under the rubber.

Obviously I would have thought that anybody would NOT use as much to cause this (slipperyness/loosening adhesive. Just enought to cleanse the odor to a degree. A little goes a long way

>While baking soda will absorb odors in the air, I'm not sure
>it will "pull" odors off of surfaces to which they
>have adhered. Won't hurt to try, at least.

Most people use it in dirty smelly fridges for example? Not sure what you mean by "in the air"...if its in the air its because its on something... If you leave an open bowl of baking soda in a container thats closed it (the baking soda in the bowl) obsorbs the smell from within that container.

>
>As a last resort, attach the camera to the top of your car and
>go through an automatic car wash a couple times. Or, take up
>smoking.

???

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Mon 06-May-13 01:24 PM
#13. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Again, it's *my* concern that silicone or PTFE, even in modest amounts, might make the grip area of the camera slippery. I've used these kinds of products a lot and would not want them on an expensive piece of gear I would rather not drop. In addition, those products often are combined with a solvent vehicle that, as unlikely as it may be, could migrate to the adhesive under the rubber.

Baking soda, or other odor absorbers like activated charcoal, work by absorbing the odiferous molecules circulating in the air--they won't deodorize the item giving off the odor. Putting baking soda in your refrigerator with stinky food may make the air in the fridge less stinky, but the stinky fish will still be stinky. The odor won't be "pulled" off the fish. Ditto the camera.

Kent

six34sigma Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2010Sun 05-May-13 02:13 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 0

Cumming, US

Once purchased a HP12C made in the USA calculator from a smoker. Fact that it came from a smoking household was unknown to me at the time.

1. The smell will dissipate, it took quite some time but the smell is completely gone. Don't recall now but it was in the order of months like 3. Soft cover was the primary issue, hard plastic less so. But will say I was not holding the calculator close to my nose as you will with the D7000.

2. Tried cleaning products designed to eliminate smoke odor including baking soda. They helped but are not a miracle cure.

My other concern would be the internals of the camera. If you have been in the house of somebody that smoked heavily white walls turn a bit brown ..... not saying that the individual has damaged the camera through smoking, but I wonder if a good cleaning from Nikon is in order.

Good luck with it.

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. - Nicomachean Ethics

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sun 05-May-13 04:02 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 8

Omaha, US

Back in my bar band days, we frequently played in some of the smokiest places you'd ever have the pleasure of going. My gear, particularly my acoustic, was thoroughly smokified after being in that environment for five hours at a time.

Took several years for the smell to fade.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

SaskPhotog Registered since 07th Mar 2013Sun 05-May-13 07:44 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 9

CA

OMG, I have to weigh in on this one. I am a smoker and frankly, this thread takes the cake. Sheesh, I'd be more concerned about nicotine/tar deposits than smell.

Besides, this is Nikon gear. It's tough stuff. Why else would you buy Nikon?

I've just returned from a 10 day sortie to Cuba. Eh, guess what! You can smoke pretty much everywhere there! Loved it!

This is definitely not the forum to rant about smoking. So I'll stop here.

Wow, livid!

Guy

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 05-May-13 08:14 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 10
Mon 06-May-13 01:16 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

>> “This is definitely not the forum to rant about smoking” .

You are quite correct.

This discussion is about removing an unwelcome odor from some camera gear.

>>“So I'll stop here.”

Thank you.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 06-May-13 01:36 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 10

Omaha, US

Makes me want to visit Cuba. Maybe take a photo tour.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Tucsonmr2 Registered since 08th Nov 2012Tue 07-May-13 02:04 AM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 14

AU

TRY THIS

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical_Guys_CLD_103_Green_Clean_p/cld_103.htm

this will not make the camera rubbers or plastics slippery
i use this on almost anythign i want to clean at home or in the car, does a great job
hopefully will remove the smell as its probably in the rubbers mostly
cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80080326@N04

Puddlepyrate2013 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2013Wed 08-May-13 11:49 PM
101 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 0

Portsmouth, US

I know I suggested baking soda, and it has created a little debate, for that I am sorry, wasn't my intention, just wanted to help. But I have kept up with all the other suggestions, and would like to offer one more I just thought of because I just used it in my car. It is Amour All cool Mist Air Freshening Multi Purpose Cleaner (for car interiors). I used it on my plastic dash board and rubber trim and it cleaned great. It is NOT the Protectant Amour All that makes the dash board shiney and slippery, it is just a great cleaner.

Good luck

Bob

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 09-May-13 04:13 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 16

St Petersburg, RU

Actually the baking soda suggestion was very good. It does work, I use it when refurbishing precision studio microphones that have been used by smokers. The 4-6 micron thick gold sputtered diaphragms are to delicate and valuable for normal cleaners. I put the mic in a bowl inside a paper bag that has a box of baking soda spread on the bottom of the bag an 12-24 hours later remove the bowl with mic and toss the soda.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Patrick604 Registered since 24th Jun 2012Sat 11-May-13 04:32 AM
83 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 17
Sat 11-May-13 04:34 AM by Patrick604

US

This is a well known problem to amateur radio operators (ham radio) where some guys will sit and smoke while using their radios for hours on end. The only sure fire way to avoid the nasty lingering odors is to ask your seller if he/she smokes before you make the purchase. If they smoke, move along and buy from someone who doesn't. I know this really doesn't help the OP, but perhaps it will give future buyers of used equipment a heads up.

Link to my Nikonians Gallery

Castlk Registered since 06th Apr 2013Sun 12-May-13 02:48 AM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: D7000 ODOR"
In response to Reply # 18

Farmingville, US

I have had good success using pre-moistened lens cleaning clothes for eyeglasses.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27049 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.