Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27010
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7100 sharpness as compared to D5200" Previous topic | Next topic
stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Fri 03-May-13 01:46 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7100 sharpness as compared to D5200"

US

Greetings, Nikonians!
(My apologies if this has been posted already. I did a search on "D7100 sharpness" and couldn't find anything.)
I currently own a D5200, which I am quite pleased with in general. Please see attached hand-held image from the D5200.) However, I shoot landscapes and product, and image Sharpness and detail are my main concerns. Since the D5200 has no AF Fine Tune and the D7100 does (among other nice features like Commander mode, weather-sealing, more customization, etc.), I am very much considering exchanging my new D5200 for the D7100. My BIG Question is how MUCH sharper are the images from the D7100 over the D5200, all else (exposure, good technique, post processing, etc.) being equal? Thank you very much. Steve

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7100 sharpness as compared to D5200
Leonard62 Gold Member
03rd May 2013
briantilley Moderator
03rd May 2013
stevelink3
03rd May 2013
briantilley Moderator
03rd May 2013
stevelink3
03rd May 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
03rd May 2013
stevelink3
03rd May 2013
blw Moderator
03rd May 2013
stevelink3
03rd May 2013
NDGraham Silver Member
20th May 2013

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 03-May-13 03:02 PM
2937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7100 sharpness as compared to D5200"
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

Hello Steve,

I don't think you'll see any difference in sharpness between the two bodies. However I see you have AIS lenses. The D7100 will allow you to enter the non-CPU lens info in the setup menu which will allow metering with those lenses and the use of TTL flash. In general I think the D7100 will be a better fit for you. The only feature you lose is the articulating LCD screen.

Len

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 03-May-13 03:26 PM
28731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7100 sharpness as compared to D5200"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 03-May-13 03:27 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

>I don't think you'll see any difference in sharpness between
>the two bodies.

I would agree with that. There is no reason to think a D7100 would better a D5200 in absolute sharpness or resolution. The D7100 has other benefits over the D5200, but sharpness isn't one of them.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Fri 03-May-13 04:09 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7100 sharpness as compared to D5200"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>>I don't think you'll see any difference in sharpness
>between
>>the two bodies.
>
>I would agree with that. There is no reason to think a D7100
>would better a D5200 in absolute sharpness or resolution. The
>D7100 has other benefits over the D5200, but sharpness isn't
>one of them.

Thank you all, for your detailed responses! Regarding the comment about no sharpness difference, I remain puzzled though, as I thought that the absence of an AA filter on the D7100 would indeed provide higher sharpness than the same sensor (D5200) with the filter. I think some test sites like imaging resource or Hogan's may have mentioned this, particularly at higher ISO and/or low ambient light scenarios.
Otherwise, I agree that I think the D7100 would fit my needs better.
Much appreciated!
Steve

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 03-May-13 04:16 PM
28731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7100 sharpness as compared to D5200"
In response to Reply # 3

Paignton, GB

That's a good point!

The only real evidence we have so far on the absence of the AA filter are the D800 and D800E. The various reviews and impressions of those cameras that I have read suggest that the "E" does have a very slight edge if ultimate resolution is the aim, but everything else has to be pretty much perfect for the difference to be visible, and careful processing can make D800 images virtually identical to the "E".

By the same token, I wouldn't expect a real difference to be seen between D7100 and D5200 except in ideal conditions, and I personally wouldn't change to a D7100 just to improve sharpness.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Fri 03-May-13 04:38 PM
#5. "RE: D7100 sharpness as compared to D5200"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>That's a good point!
>
>The only real evidence we have so far on the absence of the AA
>filter are the D800 and D800E. The various reviews and
>impressions of those cameras that I have read suggest that the
>"E" does have a very slight edge if ultimate
>resolution is the aim, but everything else has to be pretty
>much perfect for the difference to be visible, and careful
>processing can make D800 images virtually identical to the
>"E".
>
>By the same token, I wouldn't expect a real difference to be
>seen between D7100 and D5200 except in ideal conditions, and I
>personally wouldn't change to a D7100 just to improve
>sharpness.

Point taken, Brian. Though sharpness is a major concern of mine, I think the overall feature set of the D7100 would suit my needs a bit better than the D5200. Thanks again sir! Steve

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Fri 03-May-13 05:42 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7100 sharpness as compared to D5200"
In response to Reply # 0

El Sobrante, US

I agree with the above comments, but I would add that the lens fine tune ability on the D7100 might, by itself, make this body a better fit for you, if, and it's a big IF, you have any lenses that back or front focus. I have a Nikon 85 mm f/1.8 G lens that I was never happy with on my D90. When I tested it on my D7100 using the lens-align tool, I found that it needed a +13 fine tune. Now it produces wonderfully sharp shots even at wide apertures. A couple of my other lenses also benefited from a fine tune adjustment, although their needs were smaller than the 85mm.

stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Fri 03-May-13 06:03 PM
#7. "RE: D7100 sharpness as compared to D5200"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>I agree with the above comments, but I would add that the
>lens fine tune ability on the D7100 might, by itself, make
>this body a better fit for you, if, and it's a big IF, you
>have any lenses that back or front focus. I have a Nikon 85 mm
>f/1.8 G lens that I was never happy with on my D90. When I
>tested it on my D7100 using the lens-align tool, I found that
>it needed a +13 fine tune. Now it produces wonderfully sharp
>shots even at wide apertures. A couple of my other lenses also
>benefited from a fine tune adjustment, although their needs
>were smaller than the 85mm.

Toby, thanks for your comments regarding the usefulness of the D7100's AF Finetune function! I actually had similar experience with my previous Pentax K-5, and a few Pentax DA and FA Limited optics. The K-5 had a similar AF Micro-Adjustment feature, which made a big difference in terms of image sharpness with a given lens.
That said, I am getting great sharpness out of the D5200, as you see from my image attached to my first post. But being the sharpness/detail fanatic I am, I strive for optimum sharpness, and that AF Fine Tune would no doubt come in handy.
It would be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison between these cameras under my own shooting conditions, given the sometimes conflicting findings on the various teat sites. Thanks, Steve

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 03-May-13 06:20 PM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: D7100 sharpness as compared to D5200"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

The points about the AA filter are valid - however, note that diffraction closes the difference on the D800/D800e very quickly, so that it's primarily of interest if you shoot wide open or fairly close to it.

In landscapes, that virtually never occurs (or at least it never does in my landscape work), so I would think that you'd see pretty close to no difference at all due to the AA filter or the lack thereof.

I'm not 100% certain of what you mean by "product" but if that means macro-like stuff, that too is going to be a discipline in which you just can't be shooting wide open very often, so again I'd say that you will get little if any sharpness/resolution benefit to switching from the D5200 to the D7100.

In fact, I don't think you'll do any better even with a D800/D800e, since you are already at higher pixel density. (The D800 has 50% more pixels but they are spread out over 250% more area.)

The other features, such as AF Fine Tune, metering with AI/AIS lenses, commander mode, more customization, etc are all reasons to do an upgrade, if they make financial sense.

Note that I did NOT include weather sealing. First, there are no Nikon cameras that are weather sealed, other than the long-defunct Nikonos. The higher spec cameras have more weather resistance, but NONE of them are SEALED, even if they have some or more "seals." If there's water inside, Nikon will simply bill you for it - there is NO warranty - at all - about weather, on any of the cameras. As someone else put it, they're sealed - until they're not. If the weather is your issue, rather than upgrade the camera, spend $130 and get a ThinkTank Hydrophobia rain cover. Then if you don't invert it (and thus collect the water) or have such massive water that it gets into the front element of your lens, you'll be as safe as you reasonably can be without an underwater fitment. Chances are that by the time you get to this, your camera will be comfortable in as bad weather as YOU are comfortable, and that would be even with the lowest-spec models all the way up to a D4.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

stevelink3 Registered since 20th Apr 2013Fri 03-May-13 06:54 PM
#9. "RE: D7100 sharpness as compared to D5200"
In response to Reply # 8

US

>The points about the AA filter are valid - however, note that
>diffraction closes the difference on the D800/D800e very
>quickly, so that it's primarily of interest if you shoot wide
>open or fairly close to it.
>
>In landscapes, that virtually never occurs (or at least it
>never does in my landscape work), so I would think that you'd
>see pretty close to no difference at all due to the AA filter
>or the lack thereof.
>
>I'm not 100% certain of what you mean by "product"
>but if that means macro-like stuff, that too is going to be a
>discipline in which you just can't be shooting wide open very
>often, so again I'd say that you will get little if any
>sharpness/resolution benefit to switching from the D5200 to
>the D7100.
>
>In fact, I don't think you'll do any better even with a
>D800/D800e, since you are already at higher pixel density.
>(The D800 has 50% more pixels but they are spread out over
>250% more area.)
>
>The other features, such as AF Fine Tune, metering with AI/AIS
>lenses, commander mode, more customization, etc are all
>reasons to do an upgrade, if they make financial sense.
>
>Note that I did NOT include weather sealing. First, there are
>no Nikon cameras that are weather sealed, other than the
>long-defunct Nikonos. The higher spec cameras have more
>weather resistance, but NONE of them are SEALED, even if they
>have some or more "seals." If there's water inside,
>Nikon will simply bill you for it - there is NO warranty - at
>all - about weather, on any of the cameras. As someone else
>put it, they're sealed - until they're not. If the weather is
>your issue, rather than upgrade the camera, spend $130 and get
>a ThinkTank Hydrophobia rain cover. Then if you don't invert
>it (and thus collect the water) or have such massive water
>that it gets into the front element of your lens, you'll be as
>safe as you reasonably can be without an underwater fitment.
>Chances are that by the time you get to this, your camera will
>be comfortable in as bad weather as YOU are comfortable, and
>that would be even with the lowest-spec models all the way up
>to a D4.and yes, I remember the awesome Nikonos.
Good points again, sir. Yes, by "Product", I mean tabletop product photography, and I never shoot those wide open. I usually shoot at f/8-11 to minimize any diffraction effects. I still think I will upgrade to the D7100, if not for any sharpness increase, then for the more expansive feature-set. Now to sell some Pentax-related items (Metz AF52 (Pentax) flash to afford the upgrade! Thanks again!
Steve

NDGraham Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2007Mon 20-May-13 01:19 PM
612 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7100 sharpness as compared to D5200"
In response to Reply # 0

Dorval (Montreal), CA

I agree with other posters that you will likely not notice much difference in sharpness between the two bodies. There are some reviews now posting that suggest that removing the filter improves sharpness at the cost of incurring moiré in subjects of regular dimensions such as clothing or architecture.
One thing that comes to mind is that these new bodies will show up the limitations of cheaper lenses so you could consider looking at your glass to see where you might bite the bullet to get the results you need.
Neill
Proud to be a Montreal Nikonian
http://picasaweb.google.com/NeillDGraham

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #27010 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.