Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26989
View in linear mode

Subject: "I could use a little help. working on getting us anoth..." Previous topic | Next topic
JBD90 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2011Thu 02-May-13 08:44 PM
162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I could use a little help. working on getting us another Nikonian"

US

So a guy at work is looking to get a digital SLR. I have done a fine job locking him into a better Nikon. When he told me of his love of his
Olympus SLR and how he knows it is worthless I told him, "Not so fast"
and told him to google up converts. Success, he has found converts to F mount. I told him, you are good to go in manual mode. I do that with my D90. I am prepared to tell him the camera will verify focus with the green focus dot. I assume both 7000 and 7100 will do that as well. I thought I read somewhere, more than likely on one of our forums that these cameras can meter a manual lens. I guess that means you set the aperture and the camera will select a shutter speed. Any info on this would be great. I don't want to mis-inform him. I have also sent him our link to sign up himself and join the group. Thanks in advance. JB

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: I could use a little help. working on getting us a...
MEMcD Moderator
02nd May 2013
JBD90 Silver Member
03rd May 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
03rd May 2013
JBD90 Silver Member
03rd May 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
03rd May 2013
MEMcD Moderator
04th May 2013
billD80 Silver Member
03rd May 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 02-May-13 09:48 PM
25722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I could use a little help. working on getting us another Nikonian"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi John,

While the higher end bodies will meter with MF lenses, when using a Zuiko-OM lens on a Nikon body you will have to use stop-down metering on the D7000 series, D_00 series, and D_ series bodies.

If your friend shoots landscapes and static subjects stop down metering and manual focusing should not be much of a problem.

Best Regards,
Marty

JBD90 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2011Fri 03-May-13 01:27 AM
162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I could use a little help. working on getting us another Nikonian"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the reply, can you elaborate on "stopped down metering"
My D90 has no metering for a manual lens. I use my head, shoot, chimp and adjust.

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Fri 03-May-13 04:09 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I could use a little help. working on getting us another Nikonian"
In response to Reply # 2

Norwalk, US

A bit of history:

With the F, the lenses were labeled, "Auto," in reference to the fact that the lens will meter and allow you to compose at full aperture, but then stop down to the set aperture immediately before the picture is taken. It's one of the features that made the F so unique. However, this means that unless you were shooting wide open, the meter would receive far more light than the film would, so the meter would have to compensate for this in its readings.

Before 1977, lenses coupled to the meter using a set of forks that stuck out of it and engaged a pin on the camera. Post 1977, Nikon introduced AI lenses, which skipped this and communicated via a feeler that engaged the aperture ring. Either way, however, the camera's meter must know the set aperture in order for the meter to work properly.

When you cross-mount like that, the camera has no way of knowing what aperture the lens is set to. To get around this, you have to meter the way it was done before the F: by setting the lens to the taking aperture to meter. This is done by actuating the depth of field preview.

In short: those lenses will only meter properly when the depth of field button is depressed.

JBD90 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2011Fri 03-May-13 11:47 AM
#4. "RE: I could use a little help. working on getting us another Nikonian"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks, I guess I was wondering what feedback you get through the viewfinder. Does the camera auto expose? The old three leds' over under and sweet? JB

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Fri 03-May-13 04:41 PM
2953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: I could use a little help. working on getting us another Nikonian"
In response to Reply # 3

Hatboro, Pa, US

>When you cross-mount like that, the camera has no way of
>knowing what aperture the lens is set to. To get around this,
>you have to meter the way it was done before the F: by setting
>the lens to the taking aperture to meter. This is done by
>actuating the depth of field preview.
>
>In short: those lenses will only meter properly when the depth
>of field button is depressed.

You were OK up to this point. First prior to the F, Nikon cameras were rangefinder models that did not view through the lens except when using add on reflex mirror adapters and telephoto lenses. There was no DOF feature. The lenses were just preset to the desired aperture. Nothing was automatically stopped down. Other camera makers, like Exakta, were making reflex models long before Nikon and they did have ways to stop down the lens prior to fully pressing the shutter release. In the case of non-Nikon compatible lenses that used an adapter on a Nikon body, there is no linkage to the DOF preview lever so you had to manually stop down the lens to take the photo. Since this would darken the view making focusing difficult, you would focus with the lens wide open and then stop down the lens.

However I'm not aware of any Olympus to F adapters and if there was it would probably need a built in element to focus to ∞.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 04-May-13 04:00 AM
25722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: I could use a little help. working on getting us another Nikonian"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi John,

In simple terms, to focus the Aperture ring must be rotated to the maximum aperture (smallest f/#) to make the viewfinder as bright as possible to make focusing easier or even possible.

Then after focusing the lens you must rotate the Aperture ring on the lens to the desired f/stop setting, then take a meter reading and adjust the shutter speed, and ISO accordingly based on the meter reading. Then release the shutter and capture the image.

Then start the process over again to capture the next image.

Given that there is no way for the camera to determine the aperture setting on a Zuiko lens, or for the camera to stop-down the lens for that matter, you will be limited to Manual exposure mode.

Best Regards,
Marty

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 03-May-13 08:14 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: I could use a little help. working on getting us another Nikonian"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I went from an Olympus OM-4T to a D80, and never looked back.

I think he should sell his gear on eBay (perhaps piece by piece) and just move forward. If he goes to the D7100, he'll feel very good about the move.

He could also go a for a used D300s...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26989 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.