Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26973
View in linear mode

Subject: "Transferring pix from D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
kcscubamom Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2013Thu 02-May-13 02:07 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Transferring pix from D7000"

Victoria, CA

Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer pix from a D7000 directly to a portable hard drive? I am going on a cruise next week and will also be taking an Everglades tour. I normally backup my pix each day on the cruise to my iPad, but I plan to shoot in RAW and don't know if there will be room on the iPad (16 GB). I know I can't transfer from the iPad to the hard drive.
Thanks,
Kathy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Transferring pix from D7000
four eighty sparky Silver Member
02nd May 2013
kippford Silver Member
02nd May 2013
kcscubamom Silver Member
02nd May 2013
mudman2 Silver Member
02nd May 2013
pslaughter
02nd May 2013
kcscubamom Silver Member
02nd May 2013
kippford Silver Member
02nd May 2013
kcscubamom Silver Member
02nd May 2013
kcscubamom Silver Member
03rd May 2013
tpalfai
14th May 2013
Nikon32250 Silver Member
16th May 2013
sabbey51 Silver Member
17th May 2013

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Thu 02-May-13 02:55 AM
1394 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Transferring pix from D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 02-May-13 02:56 AM by four eighty sparky

US

I've never heard of any device that allows you to directly transfer images from a memory card to an ordinary hard drive (other than the obvious computer), but there are devices that will do what you want that are self-contained.

http://www.adorama.com/DFPP35500.html?kbid=64628

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Thu 02-May-13 03:05 AM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Transferring pix from D7000"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 02-May-13 03:08 AM by kippford

falkirk, GB

I have no experience of it but this might do it.
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-Hard-Drive-for-iPad-1TB-version-p/hdip-1tb.htm
Or this and supply your own hard drive.
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-Hard-Drive-for-iPad-casing-only-p/hdip-000.htm
Probably cheaper to get an Android tablet though.

Colin.

kcscubamom Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2013Thu 02-May-13 03:28 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Transferring pix from D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Victoria, CA

Thanks for the suggestions. Will look at the different options that way.

mudman2 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th May 2009Thu 02-May-13 01:09 PM
166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Transferring pix from D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Jamison, US

http://www.adorama.com/ICDHDCSO500.html?kbid=64628

pslaughter Registered since 24th Apr 2013Thu 02-May-13 02:20 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Transferring pix from D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If you plan to shoot RAW (which I would think you would want to on a trip like this) you will not be able to transfer them to your iPad, I believe the iPad SD adapter will only transfer JPEG files.

kcscubamom Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2013Thu 02-May-13 02:28 PM
#6. "RE: Transferring pix from D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

Victoria, CA

Thx. I will check that out before I leave - sounds like Plan B is in order!
Kathy

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Thu 02-May-13 11:49 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Transferring pix from D7000"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 02-May-13 11:55 PM by kippford

falkirk, GB

I am fairly sure I have transferred raw files to my wifes IPad using the Camera Connector Kit. I am at work at the momment so am unable try it.

Colin

kcscubamom Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2013Thu 02-May-13 11:50 PM
#8. "RE: Transferring pix from D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Victoria, CA

I also plan to try it when I get home.

kcscubamom Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Apr 2013Fri 03-May-13 04:59 PM
#9. "RE: Transferring pix from D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

Victoria, CA

I just transferred RAW files from my SD card to my iPad, using the Camera Connection kit. So it does work.
Thx to everyone for their posts. My budget doesn't extend (at this time) to the $400-$500 for a photo backup storage and viewer device, but something to consider down the road. Will just have to transfer as many pix to the iPad as it will hold, and then keep the full cards in the safe in my room.
Kathy

tpalfai Registered since 14th May 2013Tue 14-May-13 04:48 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Transferring pix from D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

HU

Please consider using the second memory card slot on your D7000 as a backup, and bring enough cards to last for your trip. No other device needed and the SD card is a very robust, compact and weather-proof place for your shots.

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Thu 16-May-13 01:36 AM
3453 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Transferring pix from D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

St. Augustine, US

I use an old Epson P3000 which allows you to insert the SD (or CF) card directly into the unit. It will transfer both jpg and NEF files. It has a 3 1/4" X 2 1/2" viewing screen. Epson doesn't make them any more, but they work real well if you can find a used one. You cans some images of the unit here.

<http://www.dslrsales.net/camera-photo-video/handheld-digital-photo-viewers/epson-p7000-160gb-multimedia-storage-drive-photo-viewer-and-audiovideo-player-with-4inch-lcd-com/>

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Fri 17-May-13 02:00 AM
480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Transferring pix from D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

Saddle river, US

+1 for using card 2 for backup. I did exactly this on a month long national parks trip last year. Two SD card wallets, one in my camera bag and one in my suitcase. 3700 raw images; lost one SD card but no data.

I loaded a few images to my iPad each evening for editing and posting to a blog I wrote for friends and family. Worked great.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26973 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.