Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2689
View in linear mode

Subject: "Live view question" Previous topic | Next topic
dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Thu 02-Dec-10 11:55 PM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Live view question"

US

When I go into Live View on the D7000, the screen is initially very dark. When I half press the shutter, it appears light (normal) for about three seconds during which time the camera is focusing, then it turns dark again and I can;t see much of anything. Especially bad for video, but the same happens when I am trying to shoot a still.
Is it possible I have chosen a setting that creates this behavior? I can;t seem to find anything that has to do with how long the screen stays illuminated, even for preview, but I would expect the screen to be bright the entire time I am trying to shoot.
Any thoughts/
Thanks much.
Dennis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Fri 03-Dec-10 12:01 AM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Live view question; addendum"
In response to Reply # 0

US

To add to this, if I take a picture while in Live vide, the image is also very dark, as I see it in the back screen. But if I switch out of LV and take the picture thru the viewfinder, the exact same image is much brighter, as I would expect.
So Live View is both looking and actually shooting dark??
d.

po6ept Registered since 27th Nov 2010Fri 03-Dec-10 05:23 AM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Live view question"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 03-Dec-10 05:34 AM by po6ept

Peoria, US

Have you tried pressing the ? button and then the top of the control wheel (up arrow) to brighten the LCD? This is described in the English language manual on page 49, item 10, Monitor Brightness.

Another suggestion might be found on p233. Is it possible that the aperture is so small in Live View mode that the sensor is getting too little light for the shooting conditions? Could you try manually setting the aperture to the widest setting prior to engaging Live View? It is worth noting that you cannot reset the aperture while Live View is active. You might also want to check to see if you accidentally changed setting f6.

If all else fails, you might try resetting the camera back to factory defaults to start over.

I tried to duplicate the condition with no success. Could you let us know what you find?

Bob

Bob
Phoenix, AZ

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Fri 03-Dec-10 12:34 PM
#3. "RE: Live view question"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks Bob, I had tried to raise the brightness (it was at 0) but that wasn't it, and it was dark at all apertures. Did a reset and indeed, all is well. But no clue how I got into that mode or what setting did the deed. Hope it isn't a chronic issue - I know most of the settings from my years wit ha D700,,,
Thanks for the suggestions.
Dennis

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2689 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.