Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26882
View in linear mode

Subject: "Upgrading from a D80" Previous topic | Next topic
MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Mon 29-Apr-13 04:56 PM
381 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Upgrading from a D80"

jacksonville, US

I've been toying with the upgrade for a while now,
from a D80 to the 7000, and i was in fact ready to "pull the trigger" so to speak. lo and behold, for another $400, the 7100. has appeared on the scene.

I do mostly landscape and some snapshot type of prtraits, and spectator sports shots. in fact i'm planning on shooting the Bristol race in august. that's where the dilemma comes in. I am very unhappy with the D80 in low light. it seems to have an unaceptable amount of noise at anything above ISO 200. obviously the increased pixel gain is a good thing with the 7100, but what other improvements are there over the 7000 to make it worth the extra $400?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Upgrading from a D80
wlwakefield
29th Apr 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
Clint S Silver Member
05th May 2013
Marg R
29th Apr 2013
sabbey51 Silver Member
02nd May 2013
mjhach Silver Member
09th May 2013
edt_nz Gold Member
03rd May 2013
micro Silver Member
07th May 2013
dslater Silver Member
06th May 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
07th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
07th May 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
07th May 2013
km6xz Moderator
09th May 2013
gfinlayson Silver Member
09th May 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
10th May 2013
nihonbashi Silver Member
28th May 2013
RRowlett Silver Member
28th May 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
29th May 2013
SteveInReno
30th May 2013
MarkM10431 Silver Member
31st May 2013

wlwakefield Registered since 21st Jan 2007Mon 29-Apr-13 05:34 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Irving, US

I also upgraded from a D80. The low light performance is noticeably better, but for me, the frame rate and focus system (straight from the D800) are killer features.

Check out DPReview.com for their Gold rating on the 7100...

http://www.wlwakefield.com

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Mon 29-Apr-13 09:03 PM
381 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 29-Apr-13 10:01 PM by MarkM10431

jacksonville, US

so you went 7100?

EDIT I found the answer to my questions with this article:

http://www.nphotomag.com/2013/02/21/nikon-d7100-vs-d7000-13-things-you-need-to-know/

i was unaware of the wireless and app. I can use my ipad to store the images and use it as a remote

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Sun 05-May-13 05:30 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 2

Chula Vista, US

The WU-1a wireless transmitter has not had glowing reviews and you will probably only want to send smaller jpeg files to you mobile device, smaller file sizes transfer quicker.

You might want to do a little more research before purchasing. The D7100 does offer other benfits over the D7000 that may make worth your money.

I do like the D7100 better than my D7000, but if the D7000 had not been stolen I would have been plenty happy with it.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Marg R Registered since 08th Apr 2013Mon 29-Apr-13 10:06 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Hi, I often shoot in misty conditions and my D7000 has excellent focussing. I bought it for shooting in low light(before the D7100 was introduced) and the noise levels are very low. I am very pleased with it.
I think that the camera is a great buy at the current price but
of course you get a lot of extra pixels with the D7100.

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Thu 02-May-13 09:48 PM
534 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 3

Saddle river, US

I went D80 to D7000 and was blown away at the improvement in ease of use from the better light sensitivity and focusing. The D7100 can only be better and I would go that way if I was buying now.

But that's just me. Only you can decide if its worth $400 to you. It not worth the $600 or $800 it would cost me to upgrade from the D7000 to the D7100.

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 09-May-13 12:40 AM
489 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 4

Simcoe, CA

Ditto these remarks.

edt_nz Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2008Fri 03-May-13 08:34 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Auckland, NZ

I've upgraded from a D80 to a D7100.

I decided to stick with that level of camera as the reduction in controls on the lower end cameras (my wife has a D5200) was forcing me to play more with the camera than getting the shot. I also have a great range of DX glass and didn't want to make the jump to FX.

As for using the D7100, there is a great improvement in the quality of the shots and the shots are much, much sharper to my eye.

However, that sharpness is a double edged sword. The D7100 is quite unforgiving for sloppy camera technique and I find I need to take care in shooting to get a satisfactory result. This typically means a higher shutter speed and possibly a higher ISO for what I'd use on the D80. Luckily the ISO performance of the D7100 is a world away from the D80!

I now refer to me D7100 as my scalpel, its razor sharp and will cut the user to shreds when used incorrectly

--et

micro Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2008Tue 07-May-13 12:55 AM
504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 5

walkertown, US

>I've upgraded from a D80 to a D7100.
>
>I decided to stick with that level of camera as the reduction
>in controls on the lower end cameras (my wife has a D5200) was
>forcing me to play more with the camera than getting the shot.
>I also have a great range of DX glass and didn't want to make
>the jump to FX.
>
>As for using the D7100, there is a great improvement in the
>quality of the shots and the shots are much, much sharper to
>my eye.
>
>However, that sharpness is a double edged sword. The D7100 is
>quite unforgiving for sloppy camera technique and I find I
>need to take care in shooting to get a satisfactory result.
>This typically means a higher shutter speed and possibly a
>higher ISO for what I'd use on the D80. Luckily the ISO
>performance of the D7100 is a world away from the D80!
>
>I now refer to me D7100 as my scalpel, its razor sharp and
>will cut the user to shreds when used incorrectly
>
>--et

I agree 100%. the d-7000 has so much more resolution than the d-80 that even the slightest camera movement shows up big time.I'm having to work harder on my technique than learning the camera itself.fortunately,I still have my d-80's for the real important stuff until I feel more confident with my d-7000.but once I get to that level,its going to be so nice,so lovy dovy.lol

there is no problem to big or small that can't be fixed with brute strength and ignorance visit my gallery

dslater Silver Member Charter MemberMon 06-May-13 07:19 PM
220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 06-May-13 07:29 PM by dslater

Hollis, US

If I were you, I'd go with the D7100. You'd hate to buy the D7000 and find out a few years from now, you can't get something repaired due to a lack of parts.
Also, the new AF system in the D7100 is a considerable improvement. I think it gains a stop over the D7000 in low light performance - something that may be important to you given that you're looking for better low light performance.

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Tue 07-May-13 02:57 AM
#9. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 7
Tue 07-May-13 12:31 PM by MarkM10431

jacksonville, US

aww hell I just got an offer for a D7900 for $500. the owner says there is a "glitch" where the shutter will hang then reset intermittently. she sent it back to Nikon who said there is nothing wrong with it. She upgraded to a 600, and is willing to let it go for the proverbial song.

at how many shutter actuations should I pass?

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 07-May-13 06:59 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 9

St Petersburg, RU

Asking in the D700 forum would probably get some informed opinions of what it would cost to replace the shutter assembly or whatever is the source of the problem. $500 for a D700 is too good to pass up if you have the lenses but is a questionable deal if needing to replace a current collection of DX lenses with FX lenses. That is where the real investment in photography is. Bodies are cheap, lens collections are serious investments. I would guess the average lens investment for amateur photographers shooting FX is about $10,000 unless they are BIF shooters which then increases a lot.
A wild guess for a shutter replacement would be $450-500..
If you have DX lenses you like now and shoot sports or wildlife you might prefer to stay with DX and currently the best DX camera on the market is the D7100. If portraits, landscape, low light and not printing large are more your thing, the D700 would be tempting.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Tue 07-May-13 12:30 PM
#11. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 10
Wed 08-May-13 12:19 AM by MarkM10431

jacksonville, US

ah darn mistype. it's a 7000. still a darn good deal. I'm going to pick it up, if for no other reason than to flip it

Edit looks like she realized she was low on the price now it's 650 body only

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 09-May-13 03:53 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 11

St Petersburg, RU

With the correction I would have to modify my recommendation from from a "yes" to a "no". A questionable D7000 is not a true bargain a $500. If you can afford it get the newer D7100 because it is clearly the better deal with better performance plus easier to get great images in all conditions. At $1200 it is the best bargain going today
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Thu 09-May-13 04:12 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 9

Maidenhead, GB

As Stan says $650 is too much for a questionable D7000. I'd go with a new D7100 if it were me. I own one of each and still use them interchangeably for lots of things, but when I need to crop, or when I want the faster AF and the ability to focus in low light, the D7100 is the one I turn to.

It does everything as well as the D7000 and does some things considerably better.

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Fri 10-May-13 10:34 PM
#15. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 14

jacksonville, US

That's my thought as well. I was only abdout $250 dollars away (400 away now since i decided to invest in a 35mm Prime. @ 500 i was willing to take the chance. at 650, I can get used from B&H and Adorama all day, and really, i want the bells and whistles of the 7100. as much as I would love an FX camera, I think i need to squirrel away at least 5K before I can make that jump, since it include new glass requirements

nihonbashi Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Sep 2002Tue 28-May-13 07:46 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

As far as my Nikon gear is concerned, I went from a D80 to a D7100. No regrets there, though there is a heavy learning curve to overcome. I still have, and use, my old film SLRs.

Good luck!

RRowlett Silver Member Charter MemberTue 28-May-13 11:54 PM
1087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, US

Agree with all of the previous comments. I just upgraded from a D100 to a D7100, which is pretty a stark transition. With the D100, image quality was limited by the sensor and anti-alias filter, and sloppy technique or so-so glass was not very obvious. With the D7100, the intrinsic resolution is 4X better, and in-camera metering and processing is much improved. With the D7100, image quality may be limited by your glass, and certainly your technique.

The biggest change I have noticed is that the D7100 sensor is acceptably good for my purposes (up to A3 prints) up to at least ISO 800. For casual available light snaps, I would have no qualms up to ISO 1600 or higher. With the D100, ISO 400 started to show noticeable noise, so ISO AUTO was just out of the question. With the D7100, I've started to come around to the idea of ISO AUTO (limited to ISO 800 or so), and combined with VR lenses, I might just ditch the tripod for much of what I do. I'm getting very good hand-held VR shots outdoors in any reasonable lighting with ISO AUTO even with f/4.0-5.6 glass, and without having to twiddle. The D7100 is a sea change for my thinking, which is rooted in ISO 100-400 film. (Hence the tripod, often.) I don't know how good the D80 is, but the resolution and high-quality ISO range of the D7100 are very convincing.

Cheers.

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Wed 29-May-13 01:08 AM
328 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 17

Lynnwood, US

I went from a D80 to a D7000, I'd get a D7100 if I were doing it today.
Now I'm awaiting the D400.

my website

SteveInReno Registered since 18th May 2013Thu 30-May-13 10:14 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 30-May-13 10:15 PM by SteveInReno

Reno, US

I upgraded from the D90 to the D7000, and have been very happy with it. I recently picked up a used D80 (to do an infrared conversion on it) and have been using it for macro shooting, and I have to say I actually prefer the D80 over the D7000 for specifically macro work. Maybe it's a lens issue, but I just can't get images as sharp on the D7000 (tripod or IS) as I can with the D80.

But overall, if you don't NEED the features of the D7100, I'd stick with the D7000, since you'll probably be able to get it for a much better price after the D7100 rollout gets more widespread. Hope that helps!

SteveB

MarkM10431 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2013Fri 31-May-13 02:55 PM
#20. "RE: Upgrading from a D80"
In response to Reply # 19

jacksonville, US

Well, after a lot of anticipation, I did spring on a 7100. as others have said I will need to tote both cameras around to "make sure" I got the shots.

it's going to be a long night playing with the new toy, figuring out what settings work for me for now.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26882 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.