Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26877
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help with Long Exposure Shot" Previous topic | Next topic
mtwewerka Registered since 26th Apr 2013Mon 29-Apr-13 02:50 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help with Long Exposure Shot"

US

Hey everyone, I need a little help. Previously I had a Nikon D3100 and when I wanted to take a nice long exposure shots of a say, water rapids, I'd setup my camera, set my aperture and attach my shutter release cable and click (push up to lock) and wait a good 30 to 40 secs and boom, I'd get my results.

With my new D7100, that's not working. I'm using the same type of settings and the same cable release and my images just aren't coming out. I've messed with the "A" settings and "S" settings. I've tried bringing my shutter speed down and my images are getting whited out. I'm just confused as to why it worked on my D3100 and when doing the same thing on my D7100, it's not.

Any suggestions? As for the type of shots, I'm taking pictures of waterfalls, streams and rapids at local parks. They are typically shot around 2-3 pm with some tree coverage if that helps.

Thanks,

-MT Wewerka
mwewerka.tumblr.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Help with Long Exposure Shot
JosephK Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
mtwewerka
29th Apr 2013
aolander Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
JosephK Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
SheriB Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
nrothschild Silver Member
30th Apr 2013
colin1957 Silver Member
05th May 2013

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 29-Apr-13 08:22 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help with Long Exposure Shot"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

You are missing a setting somewhere, probably ISO.

Long exposures in bright daylight require some extra work.
Set the aperture to something very small, like f/16 or smaller.
Set the ISO to the base value or even "lo".
This might bring you down to the 1/4 second range.

You are still not going to get 30-40 seconds for good exposure without using neutral density filters, or at least a polarizing filter. Being within an hour of sunrise or sunset would help you.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

mtwewerka Registered since 26th Apr 2013Mon 29-Apr-13 09:09 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help with Long Exposure Shot"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Joe, I'll give that a shot. In the past, I've been using a polarizing filter on my lens, I do have some ND Grads on order, but they haven't shipped yet. As for ISO, I've been using 100, so I'll try going lower.

What do you think about going to bulb setting, what that just wipe it all out, with light I mean? Also, would you recommend shooting those in A or S mode?

Thanks!

-MT Wewerka
mwewerka.tumblr.com

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Mon 29-Apr-13 10:01 PM
3053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Help with Long Exposure Shot"
In response to Reply # 2

Nevis, US

Bulb won't be any different only that you control how long the shutter stays open. You need to pay attention to the exposure. There is one exposure (and its equivalents) for a given scene. If it's bright out and the correct exposure is f/16 at 1/100th second and ISO 100, you can't just open the shutter for 30 seconds using the same f/stop and ISO; it will be totally overexposed (white). You'd have to use a multi-stop ND filter to get the shutter speed down.

Your technique wouldn't have worked with the D3100, either, unless all the scenes were in low light situations. Changing modes will only change what gets the priority. The camera will still select settings to get the correct exposure. If you take over in manual and increase the shutter speed you will only succeed in getting overexposed images.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 29-Apr-13 11:38 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Help with Long Exposure Shot"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

>In the past, I've been >using a polarizing filter on my lens

I thought that might be the case. CP filters tend to eat about 2 stops of light, which would be very helpful for what you are attempting.

>As for ISO, I've been using 100, so I'll try going lower.

Since you are shooting at mid-day, "lo" might be the best option here.

Aperture mode or manual exposure is probably your best bet since you will need to set the aperture to very small without the camera overriding it. After that, the camera will recommend at shutter speed, which will be close to what you need to get the exposure right. If that speed is too fast for what you are looking for artistically, then filters will be needed to block out more light.

If filters are not available, give this a try if your long exposure is to get the milky water effect: set the multiple exposure settings to "on" (page 141 in the PDF manual). The resulting image will contained blurred water since it changes in each exposure while the rest of the static image is sharp. While I have not tried this, I have read articles of it working quite well in a pinch.

---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D700, D200, D70S, 24-70mm f/2.8, VR 70-200mm f/2.8 II,
50mm f/1.4 D, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR, 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Tue 30-Apr-13 11:01 AM
1461 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Help with Long Exposure Shot"
In response to Reply # 2

US

ND Grads may not be much help, They are usually used to even out exposure between say a bright sky, and foreground. You probably just want a ND filter, which just darkens the whole scene, so you can take long exposure shots in mid day

Sheri Becker

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Tue 30-Apr-13 03:23 PM
10834 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Help with Long Exposure Shot"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You may want to revisit the old photos you say you took on the D3100. Maybe post one with the EXIF data.

A 10 stop ND filter, with an exposure of around ISO 100, f/16, is required to get to the 30 second range in moderate shade, and sometimes that comes up a few stops short. Something is amiss here. The D7100 should perform the same, given the same settings, so it too will need a 10 stop ND filter.

my Nikonians gallery.

colin1957 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Feb 2009Sun 05-May-13 06:50 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Help with Long Exposure Shot"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Looking at the EXIF data for the D3100 shots, as Neil suggests, should definitely help to solve this.

You don't say specifically but it's assumed that you are using manual exposure M in both cases?

Is it possible that your cable release behaves differently on the 2 cameras as follows:

D3100 - cable release triggers camera which calculates and uses correct shutter speed, despite you locking the release?

D7100 - cable release triggers camera and now lock position actually does lock shutter open for 30-40 seconds, hence the overexposure?

Colin

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26877 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.