Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26867
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 aftermarket focusing screens?" Previous topic | Next topic
Googlyelmo Registered since 10th Oct 2012Mon 29-Apr-13 10:51 AM
113 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 aftermarket focusing screens?"

Seattle, US

I have run across aftermarket manual focusing screens for the D7000 on eBay. They are from Chinese vendors, come cheap ($20), and appear to be copies, functionally, of the 'P' type screens (microprism collar around RF split-image set at 45 degrees) made for the F3, F4, and other film SLRs. The listings carry instructions, which appear simple and safe, but I wonder? Anyone have any experience using these in the D7000 , or other cameras (the screens are made for a lot of cameras). Basically, are these safe to use, do they work well (interfere with AF?), and can the original screen be put back securely later on? I have a growing number of manual focus Nikkors, and I pine for the ease of focus on fully mech bodies. Thanks.

--Will

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gfinlayson Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Jan 2011Mon 29-Apr-13 12:47 PM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 aftermarket focusing screens?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 29-Apr-13 12:53 PM by gfinlayson

Maidenhead, GB

I have used one bought from http://www.focusingscreen.com/. It's made from a genuine Nikon type K3 screen and has the split prism and micro-prism. It's more expensive than the $20 variants though, but every bit as good as the katzeye I had for my D700.

All of the installation tools were supplied, plus a few shims for fine-tuning the focus. It works well, and doesn't interfere with AF at all. The only issue to be aware of with these types of screens is that they will overexpose in spot metering mode because of the prisms.

With fast lenses, the difference is minimal, but on slower lenses, the difference can be as much as one and a half stops.

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Mon 29-Apr-13 06:06 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 aftermarket focusing screens?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/page--Custom-Focusing-Screens--store.html

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26867 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.