Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26858
View in linear mode

Subject: "Slip in Saving Images to Cards" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 29-Apr-13 01:32 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Slip in Saving Images to Cards"

Los Angeles, US

Why should I end up with both D7000 cards recording JPEGS when I distinctly remember setting SHOOTING MENU>ROLE OF 2nd CARD to RAW+JPEG ?

It isn't the end of the world, but I went out specifically today to 3 bridges under construction near my home in the Westwood section of L.A. Two are already spanned, the other is pylons only. The roadway is being built on the ground and then it will be hoisted over the pylons on a weekend when traffic is slow.

I used ViewNX2 to ingest the two cards. And I ended with only one flavor. Could it have been a faulty setting on ViewNX2? Or is it a camera setting?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Slip in Saving Images to Cards
km6xz Moderator
29th Apr 2013
MEMcD Moderator
29th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
29th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
MEMcD Moderator
29th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
MEMcD Moderator
29th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
29th Apr 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 05:44 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Slip in Saving Images to Cards"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

There are two settings of interest to accomplish what you sought. First set the Quality in the shooting menu for RAW+JPG-Fine (or other JPG quality). Then set the role of 2nd card to RAW. If the Quality is not changed to RAW+JPG is will store every image in JPG alone.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 29-Apr-13 05:57 AM
25573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Slip in Saving Images to Cards"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 29-Apr-13 06:34 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Gary,

>Why should I end up with both D7000 cards recording JPEGS
>when I distinctly remember setting SHOOTING MENU>ROLE OF
>2nd CARD to RAW+JPEG ?

When you have Raw + Jpeg selected in the Image Quality menu and have Slot 2 set to Back up the camera will write both Raw/NEF and Jpeg files to the card in slot 1 and to the card in slot 2.

If you set the Image Quality to Raw + Jpeg and have Raw Slot 1 - Jpeg Slot 2 the camera will write the NEF file( with an imbedded Jpeg) to the card in Slot 1 and write the Jpeg file to the card in Slot 2.

Best Regards,
Marty

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 29-Apr-13 06:30 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Slip in Saving Images to Cards"
In response to Reply # 2

Los Angeles, US

After I posted, I formatted both disks, and then set the shooting menu > role of slot 2 to Raw in #1 jeg in#2. And that's what I ended up with on the cards (confirmed in Playback w/ exposure data displayed)

It's a little late, so it will be morning before I can follow your directions. Normally, I don't care much about raw images. But due to the time of day, the position of the sun, and the deep shadows under the bridge, I'll wan't to pull up the shadow detail in PP.

The work being done is progressing real fast. Today, being Sunday, the traffic was light, so few cars spoiled the view and I got in the middle of the road to get some shots. Not possible on a weekday without getting killed.

And I have to be fast in getting a historical record. The spend a lot of effort building the pylons. Then, they pour span on the ground. When dry, they wait for a night with little traffic, and block the roads and hoist the span up and into position with a crane. So, literally in the morning there are only supports visible, and overnight a nearly complete bridge is in place.

As I learn some of the deeper detail about D7000 menus and controls, the more if feels like a computer. Currently I'm reading The D.A.M. Book by Peter Krogh, so that's why the image of a computer stuck in my head. Truly an amazing book for anyone with a digital camera.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 06:55 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Slip in Saving Images to Cards"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

>
>When you have Raw + Jpeg selected in the Image Quality menu
>and have Raw Slot 1 - JPEG Slot 2 the camera will write both
>Raw/NEF and Jpeg files to the card in slot 1 and write a Jpeg
>file to the card in slot 2.
>
Hi Marty, I might be misunderstanding your comment above but are you saying that when that both a JPG and a raw file will be recorded on Card 1 and 1 JPG alone to the Card 2? Is that new on the D7100, all other models record one Raw files with its embedded thumbnail JPG to the slot assigned to be the primary slot and the second slot's function can be selected as overflow, copy or JPG when Quality is set to RAW+JPG.
According to your description 2 JPG files are created and 1 raw file. Or did I missread it?

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 29-Apr-13 04:49 PM
#5. "RE: Slip in Saving Images to Cards"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon 29-Apr-13 04:50 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

This morning I tried to get this right on my D7000. Again, using the menus I went to SHOOTING>ROLE OF CARD #2> Raw+JPEG, In the submenu I selected RAW + FINE. This time I was shooting a painting on the wall with two remote strobes.

Same result. FINE + FINE on the 2 cards. No RAW. I checked the image data midstream and then, instead of making alterations using the Shooting Menu, I hit the QUAL button and rotated the main command wheel. Bingo. I got RAW and FINE on the two separate cards.

I'm not going to try to understand this further or rant about the Nikon programmers. I'm going to avoid the menu method and use the dedicated buttons. What a mystery! The buttons are quicker anyway.

Thanks for all your input.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 29-Apr-13 06:13 PM
25573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Slip in Saving Images to Cards"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Stan,

I thought it was strange too when I read page 89 in the D7000 Users Manual.

Though after reading it again three times, I misinterpreted what was written.
Something gets lost in the translation from Japanese to English.

Best Regards,
Marty

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 29-Apr-13 06:44 PM
#7. "RE: Slip in Saving Images to Cards"
In response to Reply # 6

Los Angeles, US

Aside from what the manual says, navigating to the Shooting Menu the settings are clearly stated. What could be simpler than selecting Raw & Fine for the two cards. Something isn't working as it should. Either programming or hardwiring in the camera.

I mean just this morning, following the Menu route and pushing the buttons yielded opposite results.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 29-Apr-13 08:38 PM
#8. "RE: Slip in Saving Images to Cards"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Gary,

Are you using a PC or a Mac?

Are you using a Card Reader or downloading directly from the camera via a USB cord?

If you are using a PC and a Card Reader, open the Memory Card with Windows Explorer. Then open the two folders in the card until the image files are displayed.

Set the Views to Details.
If you set Type in the Details it should display NEF files in one card and Jpeg files in the other card.

Best Regards,
Marty

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 29-Apr-13 10:37 PM
#9. "RE: Slip in Saving Images to Cards"
In response to Reply # 8

Los Angeles, US

I use a card reader on my Macintosh. I do the ingest with Nikon ViewNX2. So I can see all the EXIF data.

But just to double check myself after aI saw no RAW files, I did a drag-drop to the desktop from both card. If I then click on each of those folders, the computer shows me a directory and list of the folder contents. No NEF or Raw documents. Just as in ViewNX2.

It is possible that in the renaming process during ingest, i could have mistakenly clicked a little box and converted the files of one card from NEF to JPEG. Who knows. One thing for sure, from here on in, whenever I shoot I will run through a checklist first. I felt safe because I thought all those parameters were memorized by the camera in U1/U2 & Saved Settings.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26858 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.