Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26849
View in linear mode

Subject: "VR Question" Previous topic | Next topic
lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Sun 28-Apr-13 10:20 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"VR Question"

Panama City Beach, US

I have a D7000 with 18-200 lens. I have a question regarding when to use VR on the lens. There are a lot of differing opinions but mostly I hear keep the VR on unless you are on a tripod, then take it off. What do my fellow Nikonians think?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: VR Question
dm1dave Administrator
28th Apr 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
blw Moderator
28th Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
29th Apr 2013
lautry Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
ttc546 Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
Omaha
29th Apr 2013
lautry Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
dm1dave Administrator
29th Apr 2013
lautry Silver Member
29th Apr 2013
blw Moderator
29th Apr 2013
lautry Silver Member
29th Apr 2013

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 28-Apr-13 10:49 PM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: VR Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Generally VR becomes ineffective after you reach a shutter speed over 1/500s. Many people will recommend turning the VR with fast shutter speeds.

One reason a lot of people leave it on all the time is so that they don’t have to remember turn it on when you really need it.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Sun 28-Apr-13 11:08 PM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: VR Question"
In response to Reply # 1

Norwalk, US

>Generally VR becomes ineffective after you reach a shutter
>speed over 1/500s. Many people will recommend turning the VR
>with fast shutter speeds.

Not generally, it always becomes ineffective. VR samples at 1 kHz, or 1,000 times per second. According to Nyquist, that means the frequency that it can theoretically get rid of any vibration is at 1/500th of a second or slower, but above 1/500 there is zero effect.

This article breaks the entire thing down:

http://bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 28-Apr-13 11:46 PM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: VR Question"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

> but above 1/500 there is zero effect.

Literally yes, but more systemically, VR has no effect unless you botch it up and don't let it settle. In that case, VR actually gets you worse results than having it disabled. That's why I disable it unless I'm going to be in the zone where I need it. I end up shooting without it more than with, but others may shoot in less bright environments more often and may have the reverse situation.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 05:54 AM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: VR Question"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

It does not have Zero effect, sampling theory would say that its effectiveness for intended purposes would cease but at smaller slices of time, artifacts are generated, called aliasing. To eliminate aliasing, bandpass is usually limited to 1/2 the sampling rate in most systems(servos, digital audio, camera sensors and such information systems) but in the case of a camera's shutter speed not being limited intentionally to 1/2 the sampling rate, aliasing is accepted as a trade off to allow higher shutter speeds. That is the reason it should be turned off at faster shutter speeds, it can and does make the image less sharp if left on.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Mon 29-Apr-13 01:03 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: VR Question"
In response to Reply # 4

Panama City Beach, US

Thanks for the replies, but my question may need refinement. I take from the replies if my shutter speed is 1/500 or greater take it off (if you can remember in the heat of the shoot) but my tripod question remains. I am interested in portrait photography and I have purchased the "nifty 50" Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens. I suppose I would be shooting on a tripod with a shutter speed of less than 1/500. So----would you take it off? Please forgive this amateur if the lens I ordered does not have VR as I assumed it did, but if I have the 18-200 mounted on a tripod and my shutter speed is less than 1/500, would you leave the VR off?

ttc546 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Mon 29-Apr-13 01:20 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: VR Question"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 29-Apr-13 01:24 PM by ttc546

Camberley, GB

Yes, leave it off. VR is not really needed on a tripod. VR is intended to stabilise minute movements of the lens/camera generated through handholding. With a tripod, the lens is stable, and therefore VR is not required. In fact, having VR can make your photos a little soft as the VR will be trying of its own accord.

Apart from which, I didn't think the nifty 50 had VR..

This is assuming that your tripod ground is without its own vibrations ...

Chris

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 29-Apr-13 01:47 PM
527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: VR Question"
In response to Reply # 5

Omaha, US

That lens (the 50) does not have VR.

And for carefully composed, tripod-mounted portraits, you won't need it anyway.

One thing you might try is getting a remote release (Nikon ML-L3...less than $20 at any camera store). Handiest gizmo ever.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Mon 29-Apr-13 02:41 PM
#8. "RE: VR Question"
In response to Reply # 7

Panama City Beach, US

Thanks. I actually have the remote you mentioned, but could not get it to work consistently. On the tripod with composed shots I use the timer. I will try again with the remote. I'm pretty sure it was operator error, but I will change the battery and try again. I also hear mirror up is a good option but I don't remember if that works in conjunction with the remote.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 29-Apr-13 02:59 PM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: VR Question"
In response to Reply # 2

Lowden, US

I am not going to look it up but we had a Nikonian who ran some testing and could visually see improvements in image sharpness as fast as 1/800s.

Also, VR can help stabilize the viewfinder image helping to keep the subject under the active focus point. This can help with initial focus and with tracking a moving subject.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Mon 29-Apr-13 07:08 PM
#12. "RE: VR Question"
In response to Reply # 2

Panama City Beach, US

Thanks for sharing this link. I just finished reading the article and it makes a lot of sense.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Mon 29-Apr-13 05:01 PM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: VR Question"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Turn vR off when on a tripod unless one of the following exceptions applies:

- your lens has a tripod mode vR. That's mostly the supertelephotos and the 200-400/f4.
- you aren't locking the system down, for example on a wimberely gimbal head, which is intentionally left loose to track subjects, say birds.

I leave vR on when I am using a monopod, which is like the wimberly case.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

lautry Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2011Mon 29-Apr-13 05:13 PM
#11. "RE: VR Question"
In response to Reply # 10

Panama City Beach, US

Thanks to all. VR on until 1/500 or greater, VR off on tripod with fixed head. These forums are wonderful and have provided this beginner with much good info, well worth the cost of membership. I have never failed to get a question answered to my satisfaction.
Larry

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26849 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.