Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2683
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 movie focus question" Previous topic | Next topic
dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Thu 02-Dec-10 10:37 PM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 movie focus question"

US

Admittedly a new DSLR user (but not video), I have two questions:
1. I have a 50 mm 1.8 lens on the D7000, I am in AF-C mode and I am in Live View trying to make a video. The green focus square appears when I first get focus, but as I move the camera around to pan on different things at different distances from the camera, the green square stays on screen but the focus is definitely (and completely) lost - the object in the middle of the green square is out of focus, and there does not appear to be any updating by the camera of the lens to maintain focus (it;s like I had the AF-L button down, which I don't). Is this the normal behavior?
2. When I switch to manual focus, the green focus square does not ever appear - the object in the center of the square is in perfect focus to my eye, but the square stays red. Any thoughts on that one?

Thanks for the advice.
Best.
Dennis

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 movie focus question
pwscott61
02nd Dec 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
02nd Dec 2010
docjcf Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
Gamecocks Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
RRRoger Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
TakeTwo Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
TakeTwo Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
dhmiller Silver Member
04th Dec 2010
Gamecocks Silver Member
05th Dec 2010

pwscott61 Registered since 11th Feb 2006Thu 02-Dec-10 11:13 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 movie focus question"
In response to Reply # 0

Fairfiled County, US

I gather you are in AF-F mode since it's video right? It's either AF-S or AF-F I think, AF-C being for still images....anyway, this is how the manual describes AF-F:

Full time-servo AF: For moving subjects. Camera
focuses continuously until shutter-release button
is pressed. Focus locks when shutter-release
button is pressed halfway.

Isn't what you describe just what should be happening? ...i.e. the camera is focusing and refocusing until the shutter is pressed 1/2 way to lock it.

You don't mention pressing the shutter half way or at all so I gather you are not right?

http://philscottpgotography.com
http://pwscott.smugmug.com

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Thu 02-Dec-10 11:40 PM
750 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 movie focus question"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the note. Yes, I did mean Auto-F. I am sure I might be under a mistaken assumption but I am looking for a mode of operation similar to every video camera I have ever had where if I pan the camera, the new central image/object in the viewfinder automatically becomes the focal point and the camera refocuses so it is in focus. Is that possible with this or other DSLrs? Again, that is what I was hoping to accomplish with the camera.

I can press the shutter half way to focus, then the camera will maintain focus at the initial distance as I move to new subjects elsewhere. But those immediately appear out of focus in the viewfinder and I have to repress the shutter half way to achieve a new focus on those new objects, which can take a second or more. That isn't what I would call "auto focus," but again, I may have the completely wrong idea about the potential here. Feel free to set me straight!
best.

Also, any clue about why I never see a greeninfocus square when I am manual mode, adjusting focus by hand?
Dennis

docjcf Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd May 2007Sat 04-Dec-10 02:00 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 movie focus question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Dennis,

I had the same problem, have been playing with this. When u are on lifeview press the button for focus settings (left side of ring, near m/af lever) and move anterior wheel. You will see in your live view AFS and AFF. When u are on AFF it will continuously focus as u want it. If u press halfway the shutter, it will lock the focus at that point.Hope this helps.

Regards,

John

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 04-Dec-10 04:53 PM
3142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 movie focus question"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 04-Dec-10 04:56 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I suggest that you try two things.
1.f5 assign AE-L AF-L button to AF-ON
You can actually keep the button pressed while tracking stills and you do not have the problem of locking focus when you do not want to.
2. a8 use AF-S movie mode instead of AF-F
AF-F only works in the best of conditions.
In low light my lens would pump trying constantly to acquire focus.
The AF-S Nikkor 28-70 also makes noise that is picked up by the mic.
All works more better in AF-S.

There is a new Nikonians group: DSLR Video

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 06:09 PM
#5. "RE: D7000 movie focus question"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks, I'll tried that but the problem below is keeping me from seeing the LCD screen... wouldn't I hear the focusing mechanism kicking in and around as I change what the camera is pointing at? And do you tend to use Wide or Normal for the area mode?
I have a another problem right now - when I switch into Live MOde, the screen is initially very dark, then when I press the AF-L button, it illuminates to the brightness I would expect long enough to grab focus, then turns dark again, so dark that I can;t even see the image in bright daylight.
Using a 70-300 NIkon 4.5 = I had this problem before, reset all the commands, and it fixed it, but it's back today. Didn;t change anything at all except the AF-on as you suggested above.
Any clue about that?
best.
d

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 04-Dec-10 06:59 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 movie focus question"
In response to Reply # 4

Joanna, US

Roger,

When I changed settings as you suggested is the focus square suppose to be white instead of a "blinking" green? In the AF-F mode when I have my shutter half depressed and zoom in either direction I get a red square until I release the shutter and re-focus. Trying to get where the movie doesn't go in/out of focus.

Thanks,

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 07:05 PM
#7. "RE: D7000 movie focus question"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I just switched to his settings:
1.f5 assign AE-L AF-L button to AF-ON
You can actually keep the button pressed while tracking stills and you do not have the problem of locking focus when you do not want to.
2. a8 use AF-S movie mode instead of AF-F

and now the camera does exactly what I want - it automatically updates focus as I move or pan (with lots of lens pumping). It will always go in and out of focus momentarily if you are panning or the object is moving around, but I wonder if you have to hold down AF-L to keep it from doing so, effectively defeating auto-focus. Is that what you want to accomplish?

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 04-Dec-10 08:11 PM
3142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 movie focus question"
In response to Reply # 7
Sat 04-Dec-10 08:58 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Sound like I am supposed to be the expert (defined as knowing more than average).
Actually I am quite the amateur at video.

Until a few minutes ago, most of my experience has been making indoor Church service videos.
I started many years ago with a super 8 Video camera, tried the Sony mini DVD, and a Canon tape cam.
I gave them away when I got my D90.
I did a few Nursery (I have 12 acres) walk arounds and a few interviews at Events.
I then got a 5D2 for HD video and hiking.
That is when I first started doing Church Videos.
Now the D7000 is better for both.

I did my first D7000 walk around today.
Surprised how well it focused and worked hand held while I walked, even with the Sigma 18-250 lens.
Actually I walk very fast and need to slow way down as it looks like I am more like running.
Another thing, I need to loose that Black Rapid strap while videographing.
The swivel clicking noise is picked up and is very annoying in playback.

Answering dhmiller
I am not getting a lot of noisy pumping anymore.
After changing from AF-F to AF-S, the AutoFocus is much smoother and quieter.
I rarely use or need the AF-ON button when shooting a video.
Sometimes I will zoom in on the LiveView and manually (Nikkor set to MA) focus before starting the Video Recording.
Then I will usually let the camera automate the shoot.

About that green square.
Is your camera set to manual on the AF mode switch, mode dial, lens, or all the above?

I used Wide for the WalkAround, but use face for indoor videos of a speaker.
I would try Subject Tracking for my GrandKids Socker game.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 04-Dec-10 11:31 PM
#14. "RE: D7000 movie focus question"
In response to Reply # 8

Monterey Bay, US

I have my camera in front of me to play with.
The AF mode switch is AF
Release mode Cl
Mode dial A
EV = 0
Reset AE-L/AF-L to AF-ON
Movie mode AF-S
AF-area mode = wide
lens set at MA

I flip the LiveView and pan the room which is quite bright with Auto ISO max at 6400 and a AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 lens.
The camera AutoFocus is very slow, much slower than Face Priority or Subject tracking.
I hit the zoom button.
I hit the AF-ON button for fast and accurate refocus.
I hold it down and pan the room and it refocuses much faster than on it's own.
I test while recording and this works for me!

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 10:07 PM
#13. "RE: D7000 movie focus question"
In response to Reply # 3

US

"When u are on AFF it will continuously focus as u want it. "

That's just not happening at this point. I thought I had this figured out having adjusted the a and f settings in the menu that were provided in an earlier post. I saved those to U1 ( I think, as there is no indication to that effect in the Custom Menu - it still just shows ---- where I chose Save, even though I pressed thru OK enough times). So I must have changed a knob or control that changed my ability to auto update focus as I moved the camera. Love to get the full scope of controls for that.. not happening here - 70-300 VR II, VR on normal, lens on M/A.

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 08:12 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 movie focus question"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 04-Dec-10 08:43 PM by TakeTwo

South Lake Tahoe, US

>Admittedly a new DSLR user (but not video), I have two
>questions:
>1. I have a 50 mm 1.8 lens on the D7000, I am in AF-C mode
>and I am in Live View trying to make a video.

Try AF-F and while holding the af-m button rotate the command dial until you see the ok button on the live view screen. It will start auto focusing right away. you can then press the ok button and it will auto track faces. It works for me.

Here is a shot taken with my d90

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 09:31 PM
#10. "RE: D7000 movie focus question"
In response to Reply # 9

US

So many variables! Using your technique, what exactly is it I am "okay"ing, just the change of mode? With AF-F, the green focus square jitters like crazy as I pan around and if I switch to AF-S, the square turns white and jitters like crazy. And now I seem to have lost the actual auto refocusing as I pan the camera, which I had working before. The lens does not pump at all but when I move off the original target everything loses focus.
?

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 09:53 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 movie focus question"
In response to Reply # 10

South Lake Tahoe, US

If you look at the back of your camera there is an ok button. I'm still trying to learn this thing but it works for me. I don't know why they make it so hard. Don

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

dhmiller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th May 2009Sat 04-Dec-10 10:03 PM
#12. "RE: D7000 movie focus question"
In response to Reply # 11

US

I know where the OK button is; not the issue. The OK button only appears when I select Subject tracking, but that isn;t the mode I would use most often. And even with Subject tracking chosen, the green focus square remains on while the image in front of the camera is clearly and completely out of focus as I pan the camera around.
What I'll really trying to understand and implement is a true autofocus where the lens adjusts as different things are on screen, a function of my panning the camera around an area with objects at different distances from the camera. There is no automatic lens movement or updating whatsoever at this point.
Best,
D.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 05-Dec-10 10:28 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: D7000 movie focus question"
In response to Reply # 9

Joanna, US

I set the screen as yours but all I can get is a White square, not green?

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #2683 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.