Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26817
View in linear mode

Subject: "1.3x Crop Sharp enough?" Previous topic | Next topic
cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sun 28-Apr-13 05:08 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"1.3x Crop Sharp enough?"
Sun 28-Apr-13 05:12 AM by cwils02

HIXSON, US

About the 3rd day I had my D7100, I shot this squirrel using a 70-300 VR lens (No filter) @300mm f8 1/500 ISO 1000 Handheld.

This is a 100% crop.

Click on the image to get larger version.

Full EXIF is available.

Charlie

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 1.3x Crop Sharp enough?
km6xz Moderator
28th Apr 2013
cwils02 Gold Member
28th Apr 2013
Omaha
28th Apr 2013
cwils02 Gold Member
28th Apr 2013
jgreg Silver Member
30th Apr 2013

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 28-Apr-13 05:33 AM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 1.3x Crop Sharp enough?"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

Everything points to the D7100 being the best introduction in years, with no weaknesses. Other than buffer depth, few could think of any more to ask for.
Nice sharp, detailed shot!
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sun 28-Apr-13 08:42 PM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 1.3x Crop Sharp enough?"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 28-Apr-13 08:45 PM by cwils02

HIXSON, US

Thanks Stan,

The thing that kinda gets me is that this is sharp at the long end of the 70-300 VR which usually doesn't get a lot of love. This was sort of a throw away shot. Then when I was transferring some photos to my step-son's server, I saw this one, and thought it looked pretty good.

When I go outside, I start shooting anything that moves & some things that don't. Hopefully, I will learn something, and the great ones always say, "Practice, practice, practice."

I am having problems with a couple of things that puzzle me. One is most likely the environment. The other, I want to analyze further, and then get some analysis from those on here.

The buffer is also a concern for me. Probably shoot close to 3,000 images this week at 3 days of track meets (assuming they make in spite of the rain predictions). Will probably switch to JPEG to reduce the size of images flowing through the buffer. Shooting in burst mode seemed better on the D7000. Still too early to tell.

I'm hoping that the 1.3x crop mode will keep me from having to switch lenses or carry two cameras.

Charlie

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sun 28-Apr-13 02:50 PM
459 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 1.3x Crop Sharp enough?"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

The cameras these days are crazy good, aren't they? That's a great shot (but you get some credit too! The camera didn't do ALL the work!)

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sun 28-Apr-13 08:50 PM
#4. "RE: 1.3x Crop Sharp enough?"
In response to Reply # 2

HIXSON, US

Thanks Jeff. After beginning to doubt myself with the back focusing of my D7000 (Repaired under warranty), sometimes it's hard to believe that I shot some of the stuff I find on the memory card of the D7100.

Now, I want to shoot everything. After the next two weeks, I'll be looking at shooting some BIF, and hang gliders to redeem some of my former lousy shots.

Charlie

jgreg Silver Member Charter MemberTue 30-Apr-13 06:53 AM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 1.3x Crop Sharp enough?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sheboygan Falls, US

>About the 3rd day I had my D7100, I shot this squirrel using
>a 70-300 VR lens (No filter) @300mm f8 1/500 ISO 1000
>Handheld.
>
>This is a 100% crop.
>
>Click on the image to get larger version.
>
>Full EXIF is available.
>
>Charlie
>
>

This shot makes me want o buy a 70-300mm again. Great shot here and I think it's sharp enough too. I have a 80-200 f/2.8 and a 200-500mm. I want a Tokina wide angle now.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26817 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.