Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26805
View in linear mode

Subject: "Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise red..." Previous topic | Next topic
mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012Sun 28-Apr-13 02:03 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?"

US

If I always shoot in RAW and process my images in Lightroom 4, do I need to use the long exposure noise reduction on my D7000 or can I can I get the same or better noise reduction results by turning off noise reduction on the camera and doing all my noise reduction in LR4.

I was doing some night shooting with a friend who had a D600 and he said he always leaves his camera noise reduction off because he thinks he gets better results in LR4. It also saves the extra time needed between exposures for noise reductiion in camera.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise...
jec6613 Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
MEMcD Moderator
28th Apr 2013
jec6613 Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
MEMcD Moderator
28th Apr 2013
dm1dave Administrator
28th Apr 2013
mvlow1974
28th Apr 2013
walkerr Administrator
28th Apr 2013
mvlow1974
28th Apr 2013

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Sun 28-Apr-13 02:28 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?"
In response to Reply # 0

Norwalk, US

The way that the noise reduction in camera works is that, after you take the exposure - say, a thirty second exposure - it then closes the shutter and makes the same length of exposure, but without the shutter open. It then subtracts the white noise of the shutter closed exposure from the original exposure.

LR4 noise reduction is fundamentally different from the in-camera noise reduction.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 28-Apr-13 02:44 AM
25707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi John,

You are confusing Long Exposure Noise Reduction with High ISO Noise Reduction.
Long Exposure NR takes a second image with the shutter closed.

High ISO NR kicks in at ISO 2500 and higher.
Since you are shooting Raw, and not using Nikon NX2 software, I don't think it matters. I don't think LR4 reads Hi ISO NR from a Raw file.

Best Regards,
Marty

jec6613 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Feb 2013Sun 28-Apr-13 03:40 AM
645 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?"
In response to Reply # 4

Norwalk, US

>Hi John,
>
>You are confusing Long Exposure Noise Reduction with High ISO
>Noise Reduction.
>Long Exposure NR takes a second image with the shutter
>closed.
>
>High ISO NR kicks in at ISO 2500 and higher.
>Since you are shooting Raw, and not using Nikon NX2 software,
>I don't think it matters. I don't think LR4 reads Hi ISO NR
>from a Raw file.

I wasn't confusing them, the OP specified the long exposure NR.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 28-Apr-13 04:05 AM
25707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi John,

Sorry.
I misread the original post.
It has been a long day.

Best Regards,
Marty

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 28-Apr-13 02:31 AM
11301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

There is a difference between High ISO noise reduction and Long Exposure noise reduction.

Long Exposure NR is only for exposures longer than 1 second (see page 228 in the manual)

It works by taking a dark frame exposure that is equal in length to your exposure. It then subtracts any noise created during the dark exposure from your image. This form of NR does affect the RAW data.

You should leave Long Exposure NR turned off during normal shooting as it can slow down the camera. Only use it when your exposures exceed 1 second.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012Sun 28-Apr-13 02:40 AM
107 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

If I understand you correctly, if I am doing 30 second exposures during night photography it would benefit me to leave the camera long exposure noise reduction on and still use LR4 for any further noise reduction when I am processing my images?

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 28-Apr-13 03:34 AM
14450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?"
In response to Reply # 3

Colorado Springs, US

Yes on both counts.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012Sun 28-Apr-13 04:00 AM
#7. "RE: Long Exposure Noise Reduction on D7000 or LR4 noise reduction?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks Rick!!!

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26805 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.