Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26795
View in linear mode

Subject: "DP Review out for D7100...Gold" Previous topic | Next topic
km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sat 27-Apr-13 09:29 PM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"DP Review out for D7100...Gold"

St Petersburg, RU

DPR has often short changed Nikon cameras specifically for not being identical to their reviewers preferred Canon model but they are a bit more even handed this time. That might be due to just losing too much credibility if they marked down what is clearly the best AP-C camera made
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d7100

They give it a 85% and Gold medal. For those on the fence the 24 page article should answer any doubts about the D7100

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: DP Review out for D7100...Gold
billD80 Silver Member
27th Apr 2013
stash Gold Member
28th Apr 2013
MEMcD Moderator
28th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
mike70
28th Apr 2013
six34sigma Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
28th Apr 2013
billD80 Silver Member
28th Apr 2013
gwestg
28th Apr 2013
wlwakefield
28th Apr 2013

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 27-Apr-13 11:18 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: DP Review out for D7100...Gold"
In response to Reply # 0

US

This quote says it all for me and my shooting needs...

"In fact, if you don't have a compelling reason to shoot with a full frame DSLR, or have no need for 36MP output, the APS-C D7100 offers a largely similar shooting experience, great looking images and a smaller, lighter body to carry on your shoulder."

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

stash Gold Member Charter MemberSun 28-Apr-13 12:26 AM
525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: DP Review out for D7100...Gold"
In response to Reply # 1

Auburn, US

Mine is on it's way

Stash

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 28-Apr-13 12:58 AM
25663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: DP Review out for D7100...Gold"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Stan,

Thanks for the link.

Best Regards,
Marty

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 28-Apr-13 03:40 AM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: DP Review out for D7100...Gold"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 28-Apr-13 03:41 AM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

Here's how I feel. My biggest limitation with my D7000 is not the camera. I need to improve my skills. So for a few months, I've been watching the enthusiasm surrounding the D7100. But not enthusiastically. I have great buyer resistance.

Two days ago I read that review and a few things popped out at me. Specifically the Viewfinder and the LCD screen. Due to my age, both those features on the D7000 present a problem to me in bright sunlight. I just can't see things. And then make mistakes. All the while, having no fun.

On Friday I needed some background stands and scene paper anyway, so I went to the Calumet store in Hollywood. I made my intended purchases, and then asked the sales guy to give me a side by side comparison of the D7000 and 7100. Astonishing. I can see. I CAN SEE!

Now, where can I find the money to move up? Others will find other features they can't live without. But ergonomics are key to me.

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Sun 28-Apr-13 12:08 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: DP Review out for D7100...Gold"
In response to Reply # 4

Aventura, US

Actually the viewfinder display and the LCD screen (and Autofocus) are the main reasons I upgraded from the D7000 (which I am getting converted to IR).

I have had the camera since about 1 week after its release. I have set the LCD screen to the brightest setting. My experience is that it is much better than the D7000 but it can still be difficult to see in sunlight. So don't be fooled if you only looked at it indoors in the camera store where I'm sure it looked great. As far as the viewfinder OLED display it definitely is an improvement and I can read it on bright days, which had been problematic with the D7000.

I am very happy with the D7100 and am glad I upgraded.

mike70 Registered since 01st May 2007Sun 28-Apr-13 05:05 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: DP Review out for D7100...Gold"
In response to Reply # 4

Santa Fe, US

If you're having a hard time viewing the screen in bright light, you're not alone. Try the Hoodman Loupe if it's still being made. It's focusable and solves the problem.

Mike

six34sigma Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2010Sun 28-Apr-13 04:20 AM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: DP Review out for D7100...Gold"
In response to Reply # 0

Cumming, US

Its a great camera. Need to get out with mine. White, GA to the old cars and am definitely taking it to a wedding in June, then to our family vacation in St. Augustine, FL where I should be able to get many many shots.

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. - Nicomachean Ethics

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Sun 28-Apr-13 07:30 AM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: DP Review out for D7100...Gold"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

A few observations and personal thinking:

I have been reading the responses to the camera from new and experienced alike and it is shaping up to be the first camera to hit as many sweet spots of so many people that it does. The D7000 has been the best in that up until now, and it is still a camera that exceeds the capability of 90% of us but it is a little more demanding than other cameras.
I shoot mostly with D800 but miss the versatility of a light camera that is fine to take anytime I have no pre-plan to shoot. My D7000 only gets used on two camera shoots of events. It does fine, all I need but there is enough difference in AF and a few other points between it and the D800 that the D800 is the one I take 95% of the time. But due to weight, size and shooting discipline requirements, often does not get pulled out of the bag unless there is a compelling reason.
All this is building a fire under me to get a D7100. My lenses would excel on it, with only 3 dx and the rest pro FX lenses. I had been thinking of saving towards a D3s for about $3200-3500 but I would be right back to two bodies that would stay in the bag unless there was a compelling reason to take them out.
The D7100 just might be the optimum everyday camera for me that gets me back into shooting everything just for the fun of it like I did with my still appreciated D90. The only reason that one is not my go-to casual camera is I can't get it away from my GF. She has no aspirations for any more or less in a camera.

Luckily here in Russia I can still get $700-800 for a well used D7000.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 28-Apr-13 11:34 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: DP Review out for D7100...Gold"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>I have been reading the responses to the camera from new and
>experienced alike and it is shaping up to be the first camera
>to hit as many sweet spots of so many people that it does.

Nikon really hit the ball out of the park with the D7100. Truly. And even tough it should be MORE demanding and revealing of shaky technique, one sees fewer troubles being reported. Are cameras making us better photographers?

In anticipation of what cameras like the D7100 would be capable of, note the resolution ability of zooms like the new Sigma 50-150/2.8 OS... Cameras will force lens makers to raise their standards, and it looks like Sigma has and is re-tooling for this.

Mainly because of DX reach, I've had no desire for FX. Even so, I've always looked for the best glass I could afford, especially in terms of resolution (and now I'm especially glad for having done that).

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

gwestg Registered since 03rd Apr 2013Sun 28-Apr-13 06:22 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: DP Review out for D7100...Gold"
In response to Reply # 0

NO

Got my D7100 last week. Great camera for me to grow and develop my photography skills.

wlwakefield Registered since 21st Jan 2007Sun 28-Apr-13 08:43 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: DP Review out for D7100...Gold"
In response to Reply # 0

Irving, US

Loving it. I've been shooting it mainly with my 50 1.8 af-s and the 18-300vr. This camera is fun and the pq and video quality are off the charts compared to my d80.

Of everything, the focus speed and frame rate (using the 95mb/s sds) are my favorite features.

I've got the grip on it and the wireless adapter. I'm sitting in the back yard taking amazing shots of the kids playing in a cold pool. I'm able to see the shots on my Note 10.1 as I shoot and it's just fun!

http://www.wlwakefield.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26795 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.