Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26718
View in linear mode

Subject: "Black corners on image" Previous topic | Next topic
Snappo Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2004Thu 25-Apr-13 01:07 PM
247 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Black corners on image"

Tulsa, US

Yesterday, a black corner issue appeared on 8 images of about 200 shots. First appeared on shot #180 of the day. Then 5 were ok, 4 w/black, 1 ok, 2 w/black, 1 ok, 2 w/black, 3 ok. Weird sequence. One shot was outdoors, no flash and the other seven were inside with SB900. Camera has less than 1000 actuations. ISO was 800, with Aperture priority set to f8. Lens was the Nikon 12-24. Pictures are as out of camera. Comments are welcome, although I suspect a trip to Nikon is in the near future.

an old duffer with the time to have fun,
Jim

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Black corners on image
aolander Silver Member
25th Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
25th Apr 2013
Snappo Silver Member
25th Apr 2013
markel253 Silver Member
25th Apr 2013
briantilley Moderator
25th Apr 2013
Snappo Silver Member
25th Apr 2013
Omaha
25th Apr 2013
markel253 Silver Member
25th Apr 2013
Omaha
25th Apr 2013
billD80 Silver Member
25th Apr 2013
Omaha
25th Apr 2013
Snappo Silver Member
25th Apr 2013
nrothschild Silver Member
26th Apr 2013
wlwakefield
26th Apr 2013
briantilley Moderator
26th Apr 2013

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Thu 25-Apr-13 01:10 PM
3053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Black corners on image"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Is the hood on correctly?

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 25-Apr-13 01:28 PM
3262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Black corners on image"
In response to Reply # 1

St Petersburg, RU

Agree, that is exactly the shading that a loose hood rotated 45 degrees would produce. During events where there is a lot of crowding and running around, it happens to me occasionally.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Snappo Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2004Thu 25-Apr-13 01:33 PM
247 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Black corners on image"
In response to Reply # 2

Tulsa, US

The hood is a good question, however, I never adjusted it during the shoot and the corner issue was intermittent. I will use it for the next shoot with close attention paid to the hood, maybe remove it indoors. Yes, the hood was in place for all shots. Thanks for the comments.

Jim

markel253 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2013Thu 25-Apr-13 02:05 PM
92 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Black corners on image"
In response to Reply # 3

New York, US

If you use flash, you should remove the hood completely as it may cause these types of dark spots - even if it is properly installed.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 25-Apr-13 02:09 PM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Black corners on image"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 25-Apr-13 02:12 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

A lens hood certainly can shield the light from a built-in flash, but the resulting shading is always along one longer edge of the shot only - not on opposite corners like in this case.

I agree with the others - a misaligned hood is by far the most likely candidate here. The amount of shading would vary with as the lens was zoomed, being worst at 12mm and disappearing at longer focal lengths - which explains the variability.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Snappo Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2004Thu 25-Apr-13 02:28 PM
#6. "RE: Black corners on image"
In response to Reply # 5

Tulsa, US

Thanks Brian and Mark, guess I'm making rookie mistakes and there should be no excuse. Since I haven't been a rookie for at least 40 years. Just changed to the 7100 from the D600 to get a little less weight. Over 2500 RV pictures with the D600 and no issues. Will pay more attention to the hood.

Jim

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 25-Apr-13 02:52 PM
460 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Black corners on image"
In response to Reply # 6

Omaha, US

The first wedding I ever shot...back in 1983 or so...I had the shutter-speed set incorrectly and ended up with about half of my shots with a large, black rectangle on one side.

Total fiasco. I got incredibly lucky and had enough outdoor shots to more or less save the album, but it was still a terrible mistake.

It happens.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

markel253 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Apr 2013Thu 25-Apr-13 03:35 PM
92 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Black corners on image"
In response to Reply # 6

New York, US

I've done it myself Jim - and fairly recently.

Was taking pictures at my grandson's birthday party and the hood would intrude on wider angle flash shots. Didn't realize for a while what was causing it either.

Happens to the best of us. :-0

------------------
Mark
50 years of amateur photography
Currently using Nikon D7100
My walk around lens is a Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM
Nikon 40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro Nikkor
Tokina AT-X116PRDXN AT-X PRO DX 11-16mm f/2.8
Nikkor 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR
Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 APO DG Macro
Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens
Spiratone 500mm mirror
Vivitar DF-383 DEDICATED ETTL LCD Flash
Still - and always - learning photography

http://imagegatherer.wordpress.com/
http://mlf365.blogspot.com/

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 25-Apr-13 02:46 PM
460 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Black corners on image"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

That's a nice looking fifth-wheeler, black corners or not!

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 25-Apr-13 06:22 PM
2117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Black corners on image"
In response to Reply # 7

US

How about not engaging film properly, shooting 36 phenomenal ice in trees pictures, and getting not one single image back?

Yeah, I did that...

Some mistakes you only make once.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Thu 25-Apr-13 07:41 PM
#11. "RE: Black corners on image"
In response to Reply # 10

Omaha, US

Yep.

Some things you just have to learn the hard way.

I see this a lot in my business. We do all sorts of printing. What I see is that young/new graphic designers are just not as detail oriented at first as they need to be. This is made worse by the fact that they all grew up in the world of web, where mistakes are relatively easy and cheap to correct.

But when you print 500k units of something? Better be right the first time.

EVERY new designer will blow a few jobs. Takes a few scars before the hard lessons really sink in.

I think photography is the same way.

Snappo Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2004Thu 25-Apr-13 09:18 PM
#12. "RE: Black corners on image"
In response to Reply # 11

Tulsa, US

Shot about 120 RV pictures today and the inside flash shots were with the lens hood removed, I'm happy to report no black corners! Thanks Nikonians for the fine support.

Jim

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Fri 26-Apr-13 02:18 PM
10834 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Black corners on image"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Just a debugging comment...

I have had flash shadows thrown from hoods- my 24-70/2.8 on FX does that, as well as the 12-24 DX on DX. The shadows are always semicircular and centered at the bottom of the frame, centered within the lower image, with the arc rising up to the middle. Exactly what you would expect from a shadow thrown from a hood to the bottom center of the scene.

Your images are dark in the upper right and lower left. I don't see how flash would throw the upper right shadow - or any shadow at the TOP of the frame, no matter how the hood is oriented. If it shadowed the top of the frame, it would also shadow the entire frame below that.

I'm just suggesting that the problem here was not flash but a partially rotated hood, which I too have done on rare occasions.

Owning the 12-24, my recollection is that it does throw a very bad semicircular shadow to the bottom center of the frame when using a popup flash. Might even do it without a hood- I would have to retry that to refresh my memory. I don't think it would occur with an SB-900 or similar mounted in the hot shoe. But been awhile since I have shot the lens on DX- 12mm is a dangerous focal length for such problems.

my Nikonians gallery.

wlwakefield Registered since 21st Jan 2007Fri 26-Apr-13 02:38 PM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Black corners on image"

Irving, US

Been there done that! When I first got my D80 with the 18-135 kit lens, flash shadows happened to me and I could not figure out what was happening when shooting wide...

I learned the same way...

http://www.wlwakefield.com

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 26-Apr-13 05:32 PM
28309 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Black corners on image"

Paignton, GB

That's good news, Jim

Just to reiterate - your original black corners were NOT caused by the flash throwing a shadow. As pointed out, they are in the wrong place for that effect.

But removing the hood certainly makes sure that it's not misaligned - which is what most likely caused the problem in the first place.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26718 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.