Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26649
View in linear mode

Subject: "7100 1.3 crop mode?" Previous topic | Next topic
Davej1 Registered since 25th Feb 2013Tue 23-Apr-13 04:47 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"7100 1.3 crop mode?"

US

Just got my 7100 and went out for some practice to learn the new camera. This replaces a dying d70. I set up the U1 and U2 with the intent that U1 would be the easy switch to the 1.3 crop mode. Didn't work. Seems that when you change back to DX mode in any mode i.e. P,Scene, or U2 it changes universally.

Is there a way to call up the 1.3 crop mode on demand without having to go into the menu? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note I like the camera so far but I don't see a significant increase of image quality over my D200.

Thanks,
Dave

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 7100 1.3 crop mode?
rb4good Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
francine Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
Davej1
24th Apr 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
24th Apr 2013
briantilley Moderator
24th Apr 2013
BrianNK
24th Apr 2013
rb4good Silver Member
24th Apr 2013
DaveSoderlund Silver Member
24th Apr 2013

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Tue 23-Apr-13 06:36 PM
4166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 7100 1.3 crop mode?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 23-Apr-13 06:39 PM by rb4good

Rocky Hill, US

You can hit the "i" button(bottom left camera back)and turn it on or off there or you can set up another button to activate it. I use the "AE-L AF-L" button plus wheel to activate(menu item f4). With this method just press the AE-L button,toggle the command dial one click and you're there.

Rick

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Tue 23-Apr-13 10:26 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: 7100 1.3 crop mode?"
In response to Reply # 1

Monroe, US

I have it set to the function FN button. Its a snap to use.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Davej1 Registered since 25th Feb 2013Wed 24-Apr-13 11:34 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 7100 1.3 crop mode?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>You can hit the "i" button(bottom left camera
>back)and turn it on or off there or you can set up another
>button to activate it. I use the "AE-L AF-L" button
>plus wheel to activate(menu item f4). With this method just
>press the AE-L button,toggle the command dial one click and
>you're there.
>
>Rick

Rick,
I set up the the "AE-L AF-L" as you did. Works great, easy to do.

Many thanks,
Dave

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Wed 24-Apr-13 01:07 PM
285 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: 7100 1.3 crop mode?"
In response to Reply # 3

Aventura, US

I tried to do the same but had the following issue. I am probably confused but after doing the setting I could no longer program the AE/AF Lock button to be AF-ON when the command dial is not used. It seems as if the settings are mutually exclusive. Does this make sense?

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 24-Apr-13 01:13 PM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 7100 1.3 crop mode?"
In response to Reply # 4

Paignton, GB

I don't have a D7100 to check, but with most Nikons it's true that some options for AE-L/AF-L are incompatible with some options for AE-L/AF-L plus Command Dial.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Wed 24-Apr-13 02:59 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 7100 1.3 crop mode?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>I tried to do the same but had the following issue. I am
>probably confused but after doing the setting I could no
>longer program the AE/AF Lock button to be AF-ON when the
>command dial is not used. It seems as if the settings are
>mutually exclusive. Does this make sense?

Yup.. I use AF-ON quite often that's why i went with the FN button for 1.3 crop mode

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Wed 24-Apr-13 04:41 PM
4166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: 7100 1.3 crop mode?"
In response to Reply # 4

Rocky Hill, US

I use the DOF preview button as AF-ON using my middle finger with my index finger on the shutter and I can slide my finger off the shutter onto the EV button and scroll that with my thumb without ever having to take my eye from the view finder. Also eliminates me from keep putting my thumb knuckle in my eye.

Rick

DaveSoderlund Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2010Wed 24-Apr-13 07:35 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: 7100 1.3 crop mode?"
In response to Reply # 1

Geneva, US

I the "i" button gives quick access to a variety of settings very quickly -- it greatly reduces the need to set up the extensive "My Menu" like I had on my D90.

So far I've found using the "i" button an easy way to get in and out of crop mode.

Dave

http://davidmsoderlund.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidsoderlund/

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26649 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.