Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26607
View in linear mode

Subject: "Battery grip for D7100" Previous topic | Next topic
vitalishe Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2012Mon 22-Apr-13 08:46 PM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Battery grip for D7100"

Los Alamos, US

I recently bought D7100 and considering getting the battery grip for it.
I have one for D90 and know how it works with that camera.
While I was able to get Nikon grip for D90 for around $100 used, Nikon's grip for D7100 costs around $250.

Did anyone have any experience with these grips for D7100?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Battery grip for D7100
wlwakefield
23rd Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
23rd Apr 2013
vitalishe Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
vitalishe Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
vitalishe Silver Member
24th Apr 2013
rojar
23rd Apr 2013
Kjdnikon Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
rojar
24th Apr 2013
doppler_fto
24th Apr 2013
vitalishe Silver Member
24th Apr 2013
ttc546 Silver Member
24th Apr 2013
vitalishe Silver Member
24th Apr 2013
paul_7e Silver Member
25th Apr 2013
doppler_fto
25th Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
25th Apr 2013
Omaha
27th Apr 2013
singlerosa Silver Member
07th May 2013
Kjdnikon Silver Member
26th Apr 2013
vitalishe Silver Member
26th Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
07th May 2013
Kjdnikon Silver Member
27th Apr 2013
ttc546 Silver Member
05th May 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
05th May 2013
essdee
06th May 2013
ttc546 Silver Member
07th May 2013
essdee
07th May 2013
Kjdnikon Silver Member
14th May 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
14th May 2013

wlwakefield Registered since 21st Jan 2007Tue 23-Apr-13 01:40 AM
198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Irving, US

Love mine

http://www.wlwakefield.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 23-Apr-13 02:18 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

If price is a consideration it is hard to beat the prices performance ratio of the 3rd party grips that are so popular. I have one on each of my cameras and saved about $800 which was better used for savings towards lenses. The range in price from about $40-100. The brands I have are Zeikos on a D90, Meinke on a d7000 and Pixel on the D800. The latter one compared to the Nikon version has better feel and what appears to be more durable rubber panels. The all fit great, work as intended and have been rugged so show less wear and tear than the cameras themselves.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

vitalishe Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2012Tue 23-Apr-13 03:15 AM
203 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 2

Los Alamos, US

Thank you Stan. With D90 I was hesitant about getting a third party grip. But after getting Nikon grip I was very disappointed in its quality. So, now, I will have no problem going with a third party, especially after a positive feedback.

vitalishe Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2012Tue 23-Apr-13 05:13 PM
#4. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 3

Los Alamos, US

Unfortunately, it seams I would have to wait for third party grips to come out.
The only third party grip that came up for "D7100 battery grip" search
was this
http://www.pixelhk.com/Proshow.aspx?id=286
But they don't seam to be selling it, yet.
At least I could not find how to order.
I tried going through "E-order", but after filling all the required information I got "Sorry,No this product resources!"

How long does it typically take for the third parties to come up with the grips (based on D90, D700)?

vitalishe Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2012Wed 24-Apr-13 06:24 AM
#7. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 4

Los Alamos, US

Just received a reply from Pixel Enterprise. Here it is.
The logistics of ordering or prodding is still not clear to me.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Vertax D15 will be released around May 1st, but we can accept pre-order at this time.  You can buy it directly from us!

We can send out this product via Hong Kong post which the transfer time is 15~20 days, or we can send out this product via DHL which the transfer time is 3~5 working days.

Thanks and best regards!

Pixel Enterprise Limited.

rojar Registered since 15th Jan 2013Tue 23-Apr-13 06:53 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 23-Apr-13 06:56 PM by rojar

EVANS, US

New Nikonian - appreciate and enjoy the abundance of information found here!

I have OEM grips for both a D7000 and D7100 (No need to discuss why a D7000 & D7100 - is what it is) and am quite pleased. Extra battery life, higher fps, and giving more oomph to an otherwise light body. Neither can fully equate with the robust feel of a D2x though; provides nice balance for a 80-200mm f/2.8 which stays mounted on one, normally a 17-55mm on the other.

Can't speak to 3rd party grips, been burned more than once so I decided to pay the price up front.

Kjdnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2013Tue 23-Apr-13 09:59 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 5

Batavia, US

where is the higher FPS documented?

rojar Registered since 15th Jan 2013Wed 24-Apr-13 01:24 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 6

EVANS, US

Ahh, I mis-spoke, mangling the DX vs 1.3 crop mode, and coming from a D2x, Cl vs CH modes. In agonizing over a D7100 vs D700, I believe I read that the grip increases fps on a D700 to ~8.

All that said, to me 'feel' and a place for the heel of the hand are the most important factors.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out my error. Guilty.

doppler_fto Registered since 23rd Mar 2013Wed 24-Apr-13 10:37 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Short version: as someone else mentioned, you get what you pay for.

I had gotten a Zeikos brand MB-D10-like grip for my D300. I noticed that the fit and finish didn't feel great. I particularly noticed that the geartrain for the attachment screw felt poorly-damped (which meant that it wasn't well-lubricated or well-aligned). Lo and behold about 5 or 6 months in, teeth in that geartrain started chipping. At first I thought some dirt or sand might've gotten into it, but the problem gradually worsened as more and more gear teeth chipped off. I eventually ditched the grip at the point when it took me 15 minutes to get the grip off of my camera.

At that point, the grip was still in warranty, but it wasn't worth the time and hassle to replace it, especially since there's no way I'd have trusted the replacement. Moreover, the AF-ON button was in the wrong place, and the shutter and D-pad didn't have the same tactile qualities as the main ones — they felt unfamiliar after having used the D300 for ~5 years at that point.

I ended up getting a used genuine MB-D10 and the quality was heads and shoulders above the Zeikos unit. There was a greater reduction for the attachment screw (which meant more attachment torque with less hand force), and the unit just _felt_ better-built. I have had zero issues with it, even though it was already out of warranty when I got it.

So after picking up the D7100, I bought the genuine MB-D15 when it was announced. Fit and finish are superb. The shutter has a feel that's very similar to but not quite the same as the one on the main body. That said, I haven't once regretted going for the genuine Nikon version, especially as it costs _less_ than an MB-D10.

------------------------------------------------------------
I make prints
  of moments
    that people love.

vitalishe Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2012Wed 24-Apr-13 05:45 PM
#10. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 8

Los Alamos, US

I have to ask, how much did you pay for MB-D15?
The pricess I see online are $250 for MB-D10 and $269 for MB-D15.
I did not have a chance to compare the grips for D90, but I did not think that the quality of the genuine grip matched the price and my expectations.
For $250 I would want the grip to feel as if it was made a part of the camera. You are saying it is not quite the case. Then I just don't see what justifies this price. For comparison, this is more than a superb 35mm or 50mm 1.8G prime lens.

I think I will wait for the third party grips to come out to hear what people have to say about them.

ttc546 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Wed 24-Apr-13 09:20 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 10

Camberley, GB

When the OEM grip represents 25% of the cost of the actual camera, and is a poorer quality plastic and with little facilities - a) I feel ripped off, and b) look at 3rd party offerings.

So, with my previous D90, I got a Meiko grip at a fraction of the OEM price and it has been perfect ever since. With my new D7100, I shall be going down the same route.

Chris

vitalishe Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2012Wed 24-Apr-13 09:30 PM
#12. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 11

Los Alamos, US

Chris, this is EXACTLY how I feel.
The only thing I can add is that the grip does not contain any sophisticated technology compared to the camera. It's just frame, plastic and wires. No processors or photo-sensors.
So, there is no way it should cost as much as Nikon charges for it. A very well made grip should cost around $100.

paul_7e Silver Member Charter MemberThu 25-Apr-13 02:52 AM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Lucy, in the MetLife commercial would probably agree with you on the $100, or she might say "it should be 5 cents". As the ad says, it can't all be 5 cents. ).

doppler_fto Registered since 23rd Mar 2013Thu 25-Apr-13 10:26 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 13

US

vitalishe: The MB-D15 (like the MB-D10 before it) is made of Magnesium alloy. It is arguably better-built than the D7100 itself. See here:
http://www.photographyblog.com/news/nikon_d7100/

As for prices, I was referring to the MSRPs, where the MB-D10 is $330 versus $307 for the -D15. It's nice to know the street price for the -D10 is more reasonable.

ttc546, vitalishe: As far as the price, I'm pretty sure economy of scale has a large influence. Suppose that for every 100 D7100 buyers, there's 1 who also buys a vertical grip. That means that Nikon's MB-D15 line and supply chain will be running less efficiently than the analogous line and supply chain for the camera itself (imagine if they can fill a shipping container with cameras, but need to share containers for the grips, as one example — they incur extra handling costs just to combine shipments).

This isn't to say that the MB-D15 is more expensive than it should be; but rather that the D7100 is likely _less expensive_ than it would be if produced at the same volume as the MB-D15.

That said, is Nikon charging a hefty markup? I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes." Is that reasonable? I'm inclined to say "yes" also. Keep in mind that they need to recoup their design and development costs for the grip. (At the same time, this would be a good reason for them to figure out some way to share grips between bodies, although it's unclear what body it could share with in this case — there's nothing out there with a similar body size and shape. The D7100 is physically larger than the D7000, so the MB-D11 is right out.

That's also why I don't think it's fair to say "oh, a grip should cost $x00." Just like the value of a photographic print is more than the value of the paper, the value of a grip should be more than just the cost of its constituent parts. R&D, design, QA — it takes money to make a consistently good product. I think it'd be telling to see what the industry would come up with here if Nikon hadn't done most of the design and engineering for them.

Either way, to each their own.

------------------------------------------------------------
I make prints
  of moments
    that people love.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 25-Apr-13 07:13 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 14
Tue 07-May-13 06:22 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

....the D7100 and the MB-D15 are partially magnesium. The whole top half of the grip, as well as the tray is plastic.

Is it really 4-6 times more functional, to be worth 4-6 times more? I would rather put the saved money towards a lens. I can't imagine what a $250 grip would do better than a $50 one since my first camera with one has over 100,000 clicks and the grip still performs and looks like new.

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sat 27-Apr-13 01:50 PM
527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 8

Omaha, US

>Short version: as someone else mentioned, you get what you
>pay for.

That's what I thought. So I spent the money for the MB-D11 for my D7000.

Its now off for repair for the second time.

POS.

Never again for me. If I ever get a new body, I'm getting a "cheapo" grip.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

singlerosa Silver Member Charter MemberTue 07-May-13 11:25 PM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 19
Tue 07-May-13 11:27 PM by singlerosa

St. Louis, US

My MB-D11 is also disappointing. It went back to Nikon last year because the rubber was coming off. Now, it's happening again. The MB-D100 that I had on my D100 was rock solid for 8 years (way back when). No more Nikon grips for me. The Pixel grip for my new D600 arrives later this week.

Jim Singler D600/D7K with a bunch of lenses and other assorted stuff

Kjdnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2013Fri 26-Apr-13 04:31 PM
53 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Batavia, US

Just ordered a Vertax MB-D15 for DSLR Nikon D7100 on ebay....

Pre-order for 118 USD with expected May 6th ship date.

vitalishe Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2012Fri 26-Apr-13 05:37 PM
#17. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 16

Los Alamos, US

Please post your impressions in a day or two after getting the grip.
I would really be interested in the following:
- how strongly does it ayah to the camera? Is there is any wobble.
- how does the grip feel relative to the camera? Thin hollow plastic? Rubber inserts?
- how does the shutter release button feel compared to the on-camera one?

Also, on my D90 there was an issue with metering the battery charge in the grip when using AA batteries. It would show full charge which would drop to 2/5 with time and then to fully discharged bypassing the intermediate charge levels.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 07-May-13 06:35 AM
#24. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 17

St Petersburg, RU

Although late for the addition: The camera does the battery evaluation, not the grip. The AA batteries have no charge rate electronics inside the battery unlike the rechargeable Nikon battery so the camera is making a blind guess based on terminal voltage alone. If you need more accurate battery indication, use the EL-EN15 rechargeable battery.
Since the discussion was about the Pixel unit, I remember it was the first 3rd party grip announced for the D800. The Nikon version was really expensive at the time, almost $600, so I ordered the Pixel for $106. That dropped about $50 later. It feels great on that camera, and has thicker better gripping rubber on all surfaces compared to the more expensive Nikon model. My other cameras have Zeikos and Meike grips that was around $55 each and both of those have worked well and have held up very well. Each is tightly fitted to the shape of the body without wiggle or flexing.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Kjdnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2013Sat 27-Apr-13 04:06 AM
#18. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"

Batavia, US

Although the site stated a May 6th ship date, I received a shipping confirmation tonight.

ttc546 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Sun 05-May-13 08:14 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 18

Camberley, GB

My Meike grip arrived a couple of days ago. Whilst it is undoubtly plasticky, it works perfectly, the fit is snug and is no different in functionality to the OEM one. At a price of £59 compared to £275 for the Nikon one, I can afford to smash this one up and replace it 3 more times and still have saved money....

I also recently bought a 3rd party Smart Cover/case for my iPad from Amazon. Exactly the same as the Apple one, but instead of £40, just not much over a tenner. See, you don't have to buy OEM accessories all the time

Chris

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 05-May-13 09:32 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 20

Los Angeles, US

My Pixel grip for the D7000 had to be returned. Due to electrical problems causing the battery to drain. This is just one man's opinion. The delivery time was real slow when ordered off Amazon.com. They were nice about communications, and I got a refund much quicker than the delivery time.

Genuine Nikon grips are built on a framework of magnesium. I feel it to be more solid. When mounted on a tripod with a heavy lens, that is a lot of weight to bear. Yeah, I'm not happy about the price Nikon charges. For just casual use and hand-held with smaller lenses, you probably wouldn't know the difference of any of the brands Stan had such good luck with. And if you only have one camera, the cost isn't astronomical.

Again, YMMV. One man's opinion.

essdee Registered since 07th Apr 2013Mon 06-May-13 11:19 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 20

Clydebank, GB

Hi Chris

I'm thinking of buying the Meike grip for the D7100 and I see Amazon are doing it for £38.

Did you have to remove the D7100 battery cover (or does it just slot inside the grip?).

Cheers

Stevie

ttc546 Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2009Tue 07-May-13 03:58 AM
#23. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 22

Camberley, GB

The battery cover stays attached to the camera

Chris

essdee Registered since 07th Apr 2013Tue 07-May-13 07:31 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 23

Clydebank, GB

On having a closer look at the Meike screenshots, I see that the grip does not insert into the camera body battery compartment.

Thanks for confirming Chris.

Cheers

Stevie

Kjdnikon Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2013Tue 14-May-13 05:19 AM
#27. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"

Batavia, US

I received the Pixel Vertax grip today and I am pleasantly surprised by the overall quality. The fit is tight with no play. The controls all work as they should. The look and feel of both the housing and the rubber grip material matched the camera perfectly. The only difference I could feel was in the shutter release on the grip. The grip release had 2 distinct clicks where the camera had no feel. I hope this helps.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 14-May-13 07:18 AM
3321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Battery grip for D7100"
In response to Reply # 27

Dyserth, GB

It certainly helped me thanks. The Pixels grip is available now on Amazon UK for £49.95 ($75) and the Meike for £38 ($57), but after your comments I will purchase the Pixel Grip.

Thanks

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26607 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.