Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26602
View in linear mode

Subject: "About had enough of my MB-D11" Previous topic | Next topic
Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 22-Apr-13 07:24 PM
528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"About had enough of my MB-D11"

Omaha, US

What a bummer.

I bought the MB-D11 about a year ago. I really like the way it adds to the grip-ability of the D7000.

But I had a nagging suspicion that it was a knock-off. I bought it from Amazon, and there was some talk at the time of lots of counterfeit bits being out on the market.

But it worked just fine and other than a slight mis-match between the rubber grip material on the camera vs the MB-D11, it seemed fine.

Then the little joystick thingy broke.

So I sent it to Nikon for repair, half expecting them to tell me it was a knock-off.

But apparently it was/is the real deal, since they fixed it (under warranty) and sent it back.

But today I just noticed that the joystick thing is broken again. Sigh. Just like last time.

I guess its heading back to Nikon. I assume they'll fix it under warranty again, since it wasn't that long ago that they fixed it the last time.

We'll see.

For now, I'm thinking I wish I had bought a knock-off for $30 rather than spend $200+ on this POS.

Visit my Nikonians gallery
Most of my Nikon photos end up here.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: About had enough of my MB-D11
Bravozulu Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
FreddyB Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
23rd Apr 2013
four eighty sparky Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
Omaha
23rd Apr 2013
torwood Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
four eighty sparky Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
jafo37 Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
Omaha
23rd Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
Omaha
24th Apr 2013
Charlie M Silver Member
24th Apr 2013
Omaha
06th May 2013
Tucsonmr2
06th May 2013
Omaha
18th May 2013
reserectedmxr
27th Jun 2013
PerroneFord Silver Member
18th May 2013
Omaha
18th May 2013
hnagy
18th May 2013
golfercat Silver Member
27th Jun 2013
km6xz Moderator
27th Jun 2013
singlerosa Silver Member
27th Jun 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
27th Jun 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
31st Aug 2013
kevinao73
09th Sep 2013

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 23-Apr-13 12:42 AM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

To satisfy your curiosity, I was told this by a Nikon technician at their Hollywood Calif Service Center. The way to tell if an MB-D11 is genuine or a knockoff is to open the battery compartment.

The cast magnesium original from Nikon is smooth on the inside. The plastic imitations have reinforcing ribs to strengthen the grip.

I wasn't at Nikon because of my grip, but for a lens problem. But I had recently returned an Amazon import grip for the D7000. It was called a Pixel, and had electrical problems. I bought the real Nikon item from BH Photo and am quite pleased.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

FreddyB Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2012Tue 23-Apr-13 07:36 AM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 1

Havelock North, NZ

Just had a look at my battery compartment and I'm sure it is not cast magnesium - looks and feels like plastic and, yes, it has reinforcing ribs. But the grip was bought as the 'real thing' and has the Nikon logo, MB-D11 and Nikon Corp. Japan on the base but the tray has "Nikon MS-D11EN Made in China" on the bottom. So, assuming I do have a genuine Nikon grip, do some of them have magnesium battery trays and some plastic?
Fred

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 23-Apr-13 08:20 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 2

St Petersburg, RU

The MB-D11 is like most recent Nikon grips, a combination of metal and plastic and the trays have always been plastic. About 1/2 the body of the grip is plastic so the tech needed to explain which of their many models are all metal, this one isn't. So the grip you have is no doubt the one Nikon sells.
Modern plastics are pretty darn good for some things, so there is not clean advantage overall by one material or the other, both have some specific advantages over the other for some traits. Relax, as long as it functions, it will be strong and take a lot of about, but so will the all plastic models.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Tue 23-Apr-13 01:23 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have yet to replace the knock-off MB-D11 I purchased two years ago, but my thinking is this: If I can buy a new one for $50, I'll have to buy 5 knock-offs over the life of my D7000 for me to think about buying the genuine MB-D11. And right now, it doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

I also bought a knock-off MB-D14 for my D600, and so far it's served me well.

My best advice about grips is this: If you actuate shutters for a living, buy Nikons. If you're a casual shooter (like I am), buy the knock-off. If you're concerned about the knock-offs breaking, just buy two and have a back-up on hand.... you'll still be money ahead.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Tue 23-Apr-13 02:34 PM
528 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 4

Omaha, US

That's pretty much where I am.

At this point, I don't see any advantage to the 5x or 6x price premium for "Genuine Nikon" if they are just going to break.

Breaking once? Things happen. Breaking twice in the exact same manner? That's a design flaw. A bit of Google searching last night tells me this is a common problem with these.

Funny part is I went round and round when I first got it, wondering if it was a knock-off or not (there is a pretty long thread here somewhere dealing with that). In the end, my conclusion was that if I had to try that hard to tell the difference between "genuine" and "knock-off", then it didn't really matter anyway (other than potentially way over-paying).

My ultimate confirmation came from sending it in for repair to Nikon. If its a knock-off, it fooled even them, and even accepted Nikon replacement parts? I doubt that. Its real Nikon.

And its a POS.

I haven't heard back from Nikon yet. If they refuse to fix this under warranty, I'l probably just buy a knock-off and toss this one in the bin.

torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Tue 23-Apr-13 05:45 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 5

Jefferson Hills, US

OK, you guys peaked my curiosity. I have never bought a grip, because I didn't want to spend the money for the Nikon for as often as I might use it, and I was afraid of third party grips frying my electronics.

But,...I am reconsidering the third party grip, as I have not heard of any major camera problems caused by the grips. For the price, what do I have to lose?

So, what brand (if there is one) do you guys recommend? Do you get full functionality with these third party grips?

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Tue 23-Apr-13 09:41 PM
1455 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 6

US

>OK, you guys peaked my curiosity. I have never bought a
>grip, because I didn't want to spend the money for the Nikon
>for as often as I might use it, and I was afraid of third
>party grips frying my electronics.
>
>But,...I am reconsidering the third party grip, as I have not
>heard of any major camera problems caused by the grips. For
>the price, what do I have to lose?
>
>So, what brand (if there is one) do you guys recommend? Do
>you get full functionality with these third party grips?

I, for one, have never heard of a case where a third-party grip damaged a camera. Not saying cannot happen, just I've never hear of it.

You still get the same functions with a 3-party grip. However, the rear command dial of my off-brand MB-D11 works in reverse when compared to the body dial.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, gripped D7100, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 50/1.8E, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, Tamron 150-600, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2,000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

jafo37 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2005Tue 23-Apr-13 06:02 PM
194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 0

Katy, US

Omaha, I also had the toggle switch break on my nearly new MB-D11. Split right down the middle, and almost fell out in pieces. Of course Nikon repaired it with minimal griping, and even sent me an additional battery holder as I sent it in without including the one I had. I know I was pushing too hard on the switch when it broke in the heat of action, but it sure should handle an old wimp like me. Web searches found ours not to be unique experiences with that button...Jackie

Jackie
www.rjfowler.com

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Tue 23-Apr-13 06:04 PM
#8. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 7

Omaha, US

Yep. That's exactly how mine broke. Both times.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 23-Apr-13 10:35 PM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 23-Apr-13 10:36 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

If you are going to buy a 3rd party grip, a few folks had favorable remarks about these brands: Meike, Bowen (Bowers-?). And one other sold by BH Photo.

Amazon sells a bunch of types, but I for one would caution against the Pixel Vectar model. As I said, I had to return it. It would drain the camera battery in 2 days. I guess you can't condemn their customer service because they gave me a full refund, including paying for shipping. But I lost confidence with them when I shot an email to their Customer Service folks, and they were off for the two week Chinese New Year. When they returned their response to my technical question was in incomprehensible English.
None of this inspired confidence.

(reading the small instruction sheet almost required a 100-power magnifying glass - it was that small)

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Wed 24-Apr-13 11:21 PM
#11. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 0

Omaha, US

Quick update...Nikon emailed me a shipping label today. She's off to the spa in sunny California.

Charlie M Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2011Wed 24-Apr-13 11:42 PM
182 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 11

Topeka, US

I have used 3rd party motor drives and battery gripes in the past and have problems with them not properly fitting the camera to not advancing the film and shorting out. I've learned it's best to spend the money up front and get a genuine Nikon accessory with Nikon's own warranty should something go wrong which for me has never happened. For me it's lesson learned. You're better served to spend the money for genuine Nikon accessories. I shelled out the money for the MBD80 and now for the MBD14. Never had a problem or had to second guess my decision.
Charlie

D600, D300 and not enough glass

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Mon 06-May-13 09:33 PM
#13. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 11

Omaha, US

New update:

I got an invoice (!) from Nikon saying they want $105.50 for the repair.

WTF.

So I called their customer service number, waded through about 72 levels of menus, got through to a guy, told him my story, then waited on hold for a while. When he came back he said it was an error on their part and the grip would be repaired at no charge to me.

Okay.

Tucsonmr2 Registered since 08th Nov 2012Mon 06-May-13 10:33 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 13

AU

gee, this seems to e a common problem then
heres how to tell the difference between the real and fake NIKON ones
http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1518/~/counterfeit-batteries-and-accessories#mbd11

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80080326@N04

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sat 18-May-13 03:56 AM
#15. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 14

Omaha, US

Grip made it back to me today. They fixed it all right. We'll see if the new button holds up any better than the first two.

reserectedmxr Registered since 18th Jun 2013Thu 27-Jun-13 04:18 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 14

US

>gee, this seems to e a common problem then
>heres how to tell the difference between the real and fake
>NIKON ones
>http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1518/~/counterfeit-batteries-and-accessories#mbd11
>
This has great detail on how to tell if it is a counterfeit grip also:

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49662

Hate to see people get scammed and hope this helps.

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Sat 18-May-13 04:57 AM
2510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, US

Lightroom indicates tat I have 18,769 frames put through my D7000. The grip has been on it since day 1. I've never had a moment's trouble with the grip, buttons, or anything else. Not sure what you guys are doing to break these... I'm a sports photographer and toss cameras around all the time.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Omaha Registered since 07th Jan 2012Sat 18-May-13 11:50 AM
#17. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 16

Omaha, US

That's the part I don't get either.

I'm not exactly "baby my gear guy", but I'm not "bang it around, treat it like you stole it guy" either.

hnagy Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Sat 18-May-13 04:07 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 17

Cairo, EG

Guys, I orderescthe Aputure for my D7000, I tested it in the shop, and it showed that the battery is dead!!
Few days later, they brought me another one, guess what, same error.
Even, I tested with a fully charged lithium geniune Nikon battery, and with 6 rechargeable lithium enercell fully charged. Still shows the batteries as dead (one dash).
I tried to power on the camera from the grip, but it didn't power the camera at all.
Please advise.

golfercat Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2012Thu 27-Jun-13 04:45 AM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 18

Menifee, US

I would return your MB-D11 knockoff and buy one of the aforementioned that has no problems or bite the bullet and get the real McCoy.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 27-Jun-13 09:14 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 18
Thu 27-Jun-13 09:14 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

Did you set the menu setting for the type of battery used for each test?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

singlerosa Silver Member Charter MemberThu 27-Jun-13 06:44 PM
212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 21

St. Louis, US

I've had my MB-D11 grip for 2+ years and sent it back to Nikon after 6 months because the rubber was coming loose from the lower left part of the bottom of the grip. They fixed it under warranty and a year later, it started happenening again. I had a Nikon grip on my D100 for 8 years with no issues. When I got my D600, I bought the Pixel grip for $95 and so far (2 months), it works fine.

Jim Singler D600/D7K with a bunch of lenses and other assorted stuff

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 27-Jun-13 09:28 PM
3323 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 22

Dyserth, GB

I thought I'd never buy a third party anything for my Nikon's! However after buying the MB-D10 for my D700, MB-D12 for my D800 and the MB-D11 for my D7000, I thought after buying my D7100 lets give it a try. I bought the "pixel" grip and search as I may, I cannot fault it. The build quality is equal IMO and when I hold it next to my MB-D12 I find little to differentiate it from the OEM model. Mind you, I have also discovered that there are equal quality 3rd Party lenses too

Richard

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Sat 31-Aug-13 01:54 AM
1072 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 16
Sat 31-Aug-13 02:00 AM by Vlad_IT

US

>Lightroom indicates tat I have 18,769 frames put through my
>D7000. The grip has been on it since day 1. I've never had a
>moment's trouble with the grip, buttons, or anything else.
>Not sure what you guys are doing to break these... I'm a
>sports photographer and toss cameras around all the time.

Same here. for 2.5 years i'm using one original grip. I'm on my third D7000 now (6k actuations), I sold my second one with 18k actuations, and the first one I had to return after 3 weeks due to not focusing correctly (4k actuations - learning curve). All three cameras were used with one original grip - it still goes strong. I do not use turn on/off switch though - it's always on for me. No battery discharge or any other problems.

Best regards,
Vlad

kevinao73 Registered since 28th Aug 2013Mon 09-Sep-13 07:23 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: About had enough of my MB-D11"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Had the same problem, bought the grip for less than a year, used no more than 15 times, the button broke while I was shooting a wedding. Ruined my day a bit as I had to be extra careful with it. Ended up shooting without grip. Sent it back to Nikon Canada and had it repaired under warranty. But for a $250 grip.....it's pretty whimppy.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26602 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.