Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26595
View in linear mode

Subject: "Custom Setting E4" Previous topic | Next topic
VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Mon 22-Apr-13 04:11 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Custom Setting E4"

Ottawa, CA

I thought I understood this setting. I am using an Sb-900 primarily for fill flash. Previously Nikon cameras would not allow separate settings for flash and exposure, they were tied. E 4 allows that connection to be cut. However, I am not sure even after trying if I can detect a difference with fill. It seemed logical to divorce the two settings, and use the flash compensation to keep the fill at the lowest possible level. I suspect TTL is compensating for the compensation. Which means this setting may only be useful for straight TTL and manual flash. Any one else playing with this setting?

Thanks

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 23-Apr-13 12:47 AM
761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Custom Setting E4"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

Doesn't the Custom Setting E4 deal with a modeling flash? Set this to ON and the PV button sends out a test flash for you to check for shadows. OFF disables it.

I could be wrong.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Tue 23-Apr-13 01:26 AM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Custom Setting E4"
In response to Reply # 1

Ottawa, CA

My bad. What you say is true for the D7000. I was, and should have said so, the d7100.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Tue 23-Apr-13 04:26 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Custom Setting E4"
In response to Reply # 2

Chula Vista, US

E4 does seperate the the two, but manual or straight TTL is the way to go. TTL-BL does its own thing.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26595 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.