Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26550
View in linear mode

Subject: "High contrast scenes and AD-L Controls" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sat 20-Apr-13 06:16 PM
756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"High contrast scenes and AD-L Controls"
Sat 20-Apr-13 10:57 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

To show Stan and others who responded to my questions 2 weeks ago about AD-L, here are some test shots made yesterday on the bluffs overlooking the Pacific, Santa Monica Pier. Taken with a D7000 and 12-24 & 16-85. Various AD-L settings and graduated ND filter.

f14@1/250th. High AD-L setting

View of ocean looking into the afternoon sun. With overhanging tree - view is to the North. Malibu is visible on the right side of frame at the tip of the bay. Image shot with TTl-BL flash to control contrast. With graduated ND filter

f14@1/100 TTl-BL flash with -.7EV on camera

f14@1/160 TTl-BL flash with -.7EV on camera

ISO was 100

I was so busy with the gear, I didn't have time to enjoy the scenery. The near distance of shot 1 is Santa Monica Pier with the ferris wheel and roller coaster. This is a southern view. Mountain in distance is Palos Verdes Peninsula, which is the south lip of Santa Monica Bay. In the right side of frame the low hills out to sea are Catalina Island.

View of ocean with overhanging tree is looking North. Malibu is visible on the right side of frame. Last image shot with TTl-BL flash to control contrast.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, ( file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: High contrast scenes and AD-L Controls
Kidkett Silver Member
21st Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
21st Apr 2013
Kidkett Silver Member
22nd Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
22nd Apr 2013
BrianNK
22nd Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
22nd Apr 2013
Kidkett Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Sun 21-Apr-13 08:08 AM
433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: High contrast scenes and AD-L Controls"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 21-Apr-13 10:39 AM by Kidkett

Campo, US

Hi Gary,

I didn’t read your first post but will commit on this one. First I have to ask did you process these pictures or just change them to JPEG. I also hope that you are shooting in RAW format. And if you did are you using Capture NX2 to edit in D-Lighting, hopefully under the Better Quality (HQ). Do you ever look at the Histogram after you take a shot, as I noticed you are butting up against the underexposed left side? But another problem I can see here is that the middle three pictures they are out of the range of what your camera can capture. Instead of explaining all this to you I would like you to go to this link and read it as I think it will help you a lot. It explains just what you are trying to shoot.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-histograms.shtml

I don’t know the pictures you used filters on but they were not enough and you need to add more to get the light range down that your camera can handle witch you know now from reading the article above. If you still have questions just post again and you will get more help.

Good Luck,
Bill

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Sun 21-Apr-13 02:29 PM
756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: High contrast scenes and AD-L Controls"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 21-Apr-13 02:30 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

Thanks. My post several weeks ago was in this forum and titled "AD-L Lighting".
These photos were intentionally shot in strong lighting conditions as a trial to see how to limit extremes on the Histogram.

They were shot as Large jpegs then a copy was reduced to 600 pixels to upload here. Done in ViewNX2. My computer is so old in won't run CaptureNX.

These are the steps taken in sequence:

AD-L off
AD-l Normal
AD-L High
Metering for the sky - locked then panned down
Graduated ND filter (CW metering)
Flash with TTl-BL mode

Not all these shots were posted. Yes, I did look at the Histograms, and I adjusted exposure to avoid blowing out the highlights. A few of the exposures (using AD-L) were an attempt to reign in the Histogram on the left and right side. I can see in the photos how the glare on the ocean was tamed, even before using the ND filter. And the ugly palm tree was in the shots so as to see detail on the shade size.

I do a lot of reading about DSLR. This was one of my first field trips where I experimented with exposure. If you look at my Gallery, there is a shot of a red rose taken the first week of owning this camera. That was a year ago and a few folks commented that the red channel was blown out. The rose bush didn't bloom this summer. That's why I went to the beach to shoot in harsh light.

Oh, and I love the Luminous Landscape site. Thanks for your tips.

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Mon 22-Apr-13 01:29 AM
433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: High contrast scenes and AD-L Controls"
In response to Reply # 2

Campo, US

Hi Gary,

I thought that I may have missed something going on in your first post but I didn’t find it. One thing that you really need to be doing when shooting in extreme lighting situations like this is to shoot in RAW NEF format. You can almost edit a picture plus or minus two stops ether way form what you shot the picture at.

I know what you mean about blowing out the red channel, as it is very easy to do. View NX2 does the basic editing but Capture NX2 can do so much more. You can change all the setting that your camera had set in it at the time it was shot. So that flower that you shot maybe in vivid you could go in Capture NX2 and change it to another setting so the red is not blown out. Even the white balance you can change. I am surprised if you can run View NX2 that you can’t run Capture NX2. But good luck on your test and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Happy Shooting,
Bill

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 22-Apr-13 02:18 AM
#4. "RE: High contrast scenes and AD-L Controls"
In response to Reply # 3

Los Angeles, US

Thanks Bill. I'm working on a PPc-powered Mac G4. So, without an Intel CPU I can't run any of the good image software. Certainly not CaptureNX.

Instead of moaning about it I limit my learning to the camera only. Within a month that will change when I get a new iMac. To prepare I'm reading the documentation for Capture NX and for Aperture. And also Photo Mechanic. I suppose learning the plug-ins I plan to use will be simpler.

I think I'll use either PhotoNinja or Nik software. Specifically to compensate for perspective distortion (lens), shadow recovery and other image adjustments. I'm already comfortable with the workflow aspect of Aperture, so I've got a jumpstart on buying the computer and programs.

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Mon 22-Apr-13 06:09 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: High contrast scenes and AD-L Controls"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I've never been a big fan of Active-D lighting... I always find the noise it brings into the image unacceptable.

Like others have said.. Get a new computer... and shoot RAW

I would suggest watching some Lightroom 4 training videos on youtube to see if its something you'd use. IMHO, its price is right (~$100) and it has more support then any other software

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 22-Apr-13 07:50 PM
#6. "RE: High contrast scenes and AD-L Controls"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 22-Apr-13 07:54 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

This is the image taken one year ago that introduced me to the subjects of Histograms and blowing out color channels. The 2nd or 3rd day of owning the D7000. That in turn led to my interest in AD-L. The original is a RAW image.

But I will follow through on your tips about PP. When I get the equipment.

Kidkett Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2010Tue 23-Apr-13 02:46 AM
#7. "RE: High contrast scenes and AD-L Controls"
In response to Reply # 6

Campo, US

OK Gary,

You could easily fix anything blow out in this picture in your software. I was thinking of a real red flower that you really have to watch out for the blown red channel. The next flower you shot that is in the sun; shade it with your hat or something as the colors will be much better. But let the light in from all sides the best you can. I don’t have your raw file but I processed the small file with no blown channels or all pushed to the left side of the histogram.

Hope you like it.
Bill

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 23-Apr-13 03:16 AM
#8. "RE: High contrast scenes and AD-L Controls"
In response to Reply # 7

Los Angeles, US

Tried to take a screenshot of the RAW histogram. Can't seem to do it. The forum is persnickity and as you can seem, I'm not real savvy with computers or with DSLR.

The right edge of the Histogram has a red spike going almost to the top.

Attachment #1, (txt file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26550 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.