Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26506
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem" Previous topic | Next topic
MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Thu 18-Apr-13 03:00 PM
3232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"

Camberley, GB

Shooting in AF-S with AF-ON assigned to the AE-L/AF-L button I have the following experience.
If I focus on an object no problem... focus achieved. If I then release the AE-L/AF-L button and recompose the shot so that the focused on object is now in a different place the shutter release will not fire.
I can recompose the image back to the original positioning and the shutter will fire.
If I then refocus and keep the AE-L/AF-L button half pressed while I recompose the shutter will fire.
Is this how it should work?
Derek

"You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment"
My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem
briantilley Moderator
18th Apr 2013
gpoole Platinum Member
18th Apr 2013
MasterDabber Silver Member
18th Apr 2013
Rmastran Silver Member
19th Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
19th Apr 2013
20th Apr 2013
Rmastran Silver Member
20th Apr 2013
21st Apr 2013
arnnad Silver Member
22nd Apr 2013
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
20th Apr 2013
21st Apr 2013
Rmastran Silver Member
22nd Apr 2013
briantilley Moderator
22nd Apr 2013
22nd Apr 2013
briantilley Moderator
22nd Apr 2013
22nd Apr 2013
arnnad Silver Member
22nd Apr 2013
Rmastran Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
km6xz Moderator
23rd Apr 2013
Steve6344 Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 18-Apr-13 03:16 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

It sounds like you have Custom Setting a2 set to "Focus Priority". With that setting, in AF-S the camera will operate as you describe. Most folks who use the AE-L/AF-L button to focus choose AF-C with "Release Priority" selected for Custom Setting a1. That way, the camera will focus while you press AE-L/AF-L, but will always take the shot when you press the shutter release, whether the part that is then under the AF sensor is in focus or not

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Thu 18-Apr-13 03:23 PM
3630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

Typically when using AF-ON only for focusing, you operate in AF-C focusing mode. The default operation of AF-C is to use release priority. You probably are set to AF-S focus mode. The default for AF-S is focus priority. The focus priority is apparently prohibiting the shutter release when you change re-frame the image and put a different subject area at the focus point.

You could change the Custom Setting so that AF-S is also release priority. A better solution is to use AF-C. Using AF-C with AF-ON only gives you complete focus control without changing focus mode settings. If you want to lock focus just release the AF-ON button when focus is achieved. If you want to track a moving subject, just keep your thumb on the AF-ON button while releasing the shutter. The only caveat is that when you want to lock focus, you are the judge of whether the desired part of the image is in focus. You can use the dot in the viewfinder to help, but the focus locks when you lift your thumb, not when the camera determines the selected area is in focus.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Thu 18-Apr-13 03:42 PM
3232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 2

Camberley, GB

Brian, Gary. Thanks a lot for the quick response. That makes sense. I've had a quick play with the settings as you've both suggested and that resolves it. I'll just be a bit careful not to have introduced other problems as a result.
I'll have a good play and check out the results properly.

many thanks....
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Rmastran Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2011Fri 19-Apr-13 01:38 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Carver, US

Derek,

I assign the Fn button to AE/AF lock (f3). It's very intuitive, as well as comfortable, for me to press the AE/AF button with my thumb and the Fn button with my middle finger.

Ralph

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 19-Apr-13 08:22 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 4

St Petersburg, RU

I agree Ralph, I am surprised more people are not using that combination. I started using Fn for AE-L last year and found like you that it is more intuitive and comfortable, particularly on my camera that has both a dedicated AF-On and AE-L/AF/L button. Using the middle finger to control AE-L at the same time the thumb controls AF is much faster and surer using the thumb for both functions with buttons separated by a small distance. The added control is quite welcome on both the D800 and D7000.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sat 20-Apr-13 08:42 AM
#6. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 5

Camberley, GB

Ralph, Stan. Thanks for the suggestion. I usually have fn set for Bracketing Burst but I've tried changing it to AE/AF lock and that works well. So, bottom line I've kept with fn set to Bracketing Burst but set fn to AE/AF lock under my U1 setting. I think that will work fine. Alternatively I may reverse this and have Bracketing Burst set to fn under U1.

It's great here... thanks for the advice.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Rmastran Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2011Sat 20-Apr-13 06:30 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 6

Carver, US

Derek,

It sounds like you've made a wise choice using the U1 option to switch back and forth. My only suggestion, if I may, is to set the Fn button to the function you anticipate using most often, which is probably AF lock.

Regards,

Ralph

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sun 21-Apr-13 03:13 PM
#9. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 7

Camberley, GB

You're absolutely right Ralph. I've swapped it around and set the Fn button as you suggest. I took a few shots yesterday and it worked just great.

>Derek,
>
>It sounds like you've made a wise choice using the U1 option
>to switch back and forth. My only suggestion, if I may, is to
>set the Fn button to the function you anticipate using most
>often, which is probably AF lock.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ralph

Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Mon 22-Apr-13 03:00 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 6

Anacortes, US

Hi. In trying to set up my D7100 I was puzzled by the Bracketing burst option. When set up to use the Fn button it won't work unless I first push the Br button. It will then fire off the number of frames set even when set for single frame. It will also do so if set for Cl or Ch. However, since I must push the Br button first and could either bracket manually on S or in a burst on Cl I don't see the benefit. I still have to first turn on the Br button and hit Fn ,i.e.2 steps.
If I ignore the Fn button,engage Br and either bracket manually of switch to Cl or Ch it would take the same time or less. I had first thought Bracketing Burst would bypass the need to hit the Br button.
Also, according to the manual this setting doesn't work for U1 or U2.
What am I missing here? Straighten me out. This is driving me to use AUTO!

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sat 20-Apr-13 08:56 PM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 3

Brighton and Hove, GB

>I'll just be a bit careful not
>to have introduced other problems as a result.

Make sure your images are focused where you want. The problem I have with AF-C is exactly what it promises to do, which is fire the shutter regardless of where focus is. I may be unusually unsteady, or generally poor in my shooting technique, but I do better for sharp subjects with AF-S and ensuring I can put a focus point on the subject.

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Sun 21-Apr-13 03:15 PM
#10. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 8

Camberley, GB

You're right Gary. I've gone away from the AF-C solution now and will just use that for more action type captures.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

Rmastran Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2011Mon 22-Apr-13 11:05 AM
#12. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 10

Carver, US

Once you've back-button focused, and then press the Fn button for AF-L, focus won't shift as you recompose - regardless of the focusing mode you've chosen.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 22-Apr-13 11:47 AM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 12

Paignton, GB

>Once you've back-button focused, and then press the Fn button
>for AF-L, focus won't shift as you recompose - regardless of
>the focusing mode you've chosen.

That's true, but with the AE-L/AF-L button assigned to "AF ON", using the Function button for AF-L is pretty much unnecessary. Once you let go of the AE-L/AF-L button, focus will stay where it was - unless you touch AE-L/AF-L again by mistake, of course

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Mon 22-Apr-13 02:25 PM
#14. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 13

Camberley, GB

>>Once you've back-button focused, and then press the Fn
>button
>>for AF-L, focus won't shift as you recompose - regardless
>of
>>the focusing mode you've chosen.
>
>That's true, but with the AE-L/AF-L button assigned to
>"AF ON", using the Function button for AF-L is
>pretty much unnecessary. Once you let go of the AE-L/AF-L
>button, focus will stay where it was - unless you touch
>AE-L/AF-L again by mistake, of course

But Brian, this brings us full circle I think (although I'm now getting confused).

I originally had AE-L/AF-L button assigned to
"AF ON" and AF-S set to "Focus". If I don't press the Fn button (assigned to AF-L) and keep it pressed, the shutter will not fire if I recompose the frame.

Forgive me if I'm missing something here (which is quite possible knowing me as I do

Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 22-Apr-13 02:44 PM
#15. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 14

Paignton, GB

To have the shutter fire anyway, you just need to have the appropriate Custom Setting set to "Release Priority" rather than "Focus Priority".

The earlier posts above (e.g. Stan in #5) were saying that they allocate the Function button to AE-L (note - not AF-L) to lock exposure. I think post 12 may have confused this with allocating the Function button to lock focus, which isn't necessary when using AE-L/AF-L to act as AF-ON.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

MasterDabber Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Dec 2005Mon 22-Apr-13 04:34 PM
#16. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 15

Camberley, GB

Thanks for your patience Brian, and for your detailed explanations. It's falling into place now and I have several solutions that will avoid the problem outlined in my initial post.
In my own mind I kind of have a preference to have "focus Priority" as my setting but I need to think about that. Maybe that isn't that rational.

Anyway, lots of ways "to skin the cat". This has been very useful and thanks to all the inputs.

Btw earlier in this thread arnnad has asked a question about Bracketing Burst operation on the d7100. Although I could explain what I do with the D7000, which may be the same with the D7100, I'm not sure I'm best placed to help him.
Derek

My Gallery
My Nikonians Gallery

arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Mon 22-Apr-13 08:59 PM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 16

Anacortes, US

Hi. I posted my question about Bracket Burst in reply to Derek, post#6. Perhaps I should have started a new thread?

Rmastran Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Nov 2011Tue 23-Apr-13 02:15 AM
#18. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 13

Carver, US

Hi Brian,

You are correct about letting go of the AE-L/AF-L button to lock focus. Keeping the AE-L/AF-L button pressed while recomposing will most likely cause the camera to hunt while in AF-A or AF-C modes.

However, I don't let go of the AE-L/AF-L button before pressing the Fn button. I tried it, but it just felt awkward to me, despite my having a fairly large hand. It is more comfortable, and the camera feels more secure in my hand, if I press and hold the AE/AF lock button while also pressing the Fn button. So I set f3 to AE/AF lock in order to prevent potential hunting

The good thing this shows is that there's no right or wrong way to do it - just what feels best.

Regards,

Ralph

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 23-Apr-13 02:44 AM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 18

St Petersburg, RU

There seems to be some confusion in how the various functions interact.
The recommendation for AF-On was setting the AE-L/AF-L button to AF-On function. Set the AF-C mode to Release Priority, not Focus and set the focusing mode to AF-C.
If you want to retain AE-L function, you can set Fn button to act as AE-L, not AF-L. Note that there are several options, one being AE-L+AF-L which is duplicating the AF-On function needlessly. If you use AE-L, which you should if you recompose, all you want it exposure locking assigned to Fn.

By setting the rear button to AF-On you have control of AF start and stop so recomposing to anything on the same focal plane as the one you focused on will remain in focus as you select your framing. So this acts like the best of both AF-S and AF-C modes, once you release the button, it stops further AF action.
If your subject needs a different exposure than if under the AF point the metering was biased toward when recomposing, prior to recomposing, press AE-L so after recomposition, the metering of the subject will be the same as when you focused on it.
These two functions go together intuitively and increase your control of what the scene and subject are subjected to by the capture process.
On pro bodies there are dedicated AF-On and AE-L/AF-L buttons but they are next to each other so it is possible to hit the wrong one in rushed situations. So even with a pro body, using the Fn button for Exposure lock is better for me. That way both the D7000 and my D800 use the same process to focus and lock exposure. It is faster also since both buttons can be used at the same time, instead of sequentially.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Steve6344 Silver Member Nikonian since 31st Jul 2012Tue 23-Apr-13 12:44 PM
294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: D7000 - AF-ON assigned to AE-L/AF-L problem"
In response to Reply # 19

Aventura, US

Hi Stan,

I have programmed the AE-L/AF-L button to AF-On function. The D7100 seems to have 2 options for programming the Fn button for AE-L: AE-L (Hold) and AE Lock only. I am trying to shoot BIF. Which do you recommend?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26506 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.