Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26474
View in linear mode

Subject: "MB-D11 switches battery use" Previous topic | Next topic
Biker Bill Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2009Tue 16-Apr-13 07:55 PM
892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"MB-D11 switches battery use"

Lakeville, US

When I set up my D7000 and MB-D11 to use battery in the battery pack first, it appears to switch back and forth and uses both batteries in a random order. When I am done shooting at the end of the day both batteries show that they are partially run down. It has also started to have a problem showing both batteries in the menu and I need to move the base to get it to show. The battery seems loose in the holder. The camera also seems to have no power at times. It works fine with out the MB-D11 on. How ca I check connection and who can repair.
Thanks for any response to my problem.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: MB-D11 switches battery use
four eighty sparky Silver Member
17th Apr 2013
Biker Bill Gold Member
19th Apr 2013
Anton Bruwer Silver Member
17th Apr 2013
Bravozulu Silver Member
18th Apr 2013
Biker Bill Gold Member
19th Apr 2013
Biker Bill Gold Member
19th Apr 2013
Biker Bill Gold Member
19th Apr 2013
Tucsonmr2
23rd Apr 2013
esandy Silver Member
18th Apr 2013
Biker Bill Gold Member
19th Apr 2013

four eighty sparky Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Wed 17-Apr-13 04:03 AM
1397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: MB-D11 switches battery use"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Swap the batteries around and see if the issue persists. I'm sure Nikon can fix it.

My toys: A pair of gripped D600s, Sigma 8mm circular fisheye, Sigma 15mm full-frame fisheye, Tokina 17/3.5 SL, 17-35 2.8D, 24-85 G, 24-120/4G, 28-200 D, 50/1.8D, 50/1.8G, 70-200 2.8 G VRII, 70-300G, 105/2.8D Micro, 500 f/8 Reflex: Sigma 600mm, Celestron 2000mm: PB-6 bellows, Nikon 1.4 and 1.7x TCs, auto macro tube set: SB600: Manfrotto 055XB/804RC2/390RC2 & 560B-1: Gossen Starlite: Easy-Up AP1500: 40' WonderPole

Visit my website.

Biker Bill Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2009Fri 19-Apr-13 09:21 AM
892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: MB-D11 switches battery use"
In response to Reply # 1

Lakeville, US

Thank you but changing batteries had same results. I will try electrical tape to tighten the battery in the holder.

Anton Bruwer Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2012Wed 17-Apr-13 08:33 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: MB-D11 switches battery use"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 17-Apr-13 08:35 AM by Anton Bruwer

Johannesburg, ZA

>When I set up my D7000 and MB-D11 to use battery in the
>battery pack first... The battery seems loose in the holder.

The battery being "loose" in the holder is a known problem with the MB-D11.

A simple fix is to wedge it with one or two small pieces of paper or a more permanent fix is to glue a small sheet of plastic to the holder.

I have no idea whether this may be the (partial?) cause for the issues that you are experiencing but eliminating the possibility is a start.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Thu 18-Apr-13 03:56 AM
670 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: MB-D11 switches battery use"
In response to Reply # 2

Los Angeles, US

My home is 3 miles from the beach, and so I've seen a connection problem between lens and D7000 a few times. I know it is caused by corrosion, so every few months I swab the gold contacts on the rear of the lens, and inside the mirror box on the body. I use electrical contact cleaner.

The symptom I see is a failure for AF preferences to show up in the Control Panel. Cleaning the contacts eliminates this in a flash.

My MB-D11 is too new and has never acted up. But I give it the same treatment on the grip electrical contact and on the mating contacts on the underside of the camera body. There is a lot of crud in the air, and I live in a big city, and not far from a Freeway.

Biker Bill Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2009Fri 19-Apr-13 09:17 AM
#6. "RE: MB-D11 switches battery use"
In response to Reply # 3

Lakeville, US

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Biker Bill Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2009Fri 19-Apr-13 09:19 AM
#7. "RE: MB-D11 switches battery use"
In response to Reply # 2

Lakeville, US

Thank you I always thought this was the case but saw no mention of it anywhere.

Biker Bill Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2009Fri 19-Apr-13 09:23 AM
#9. "RE: MB-D11 switches battery use"
In response to Reply # 2

Lakeville, US

Thank you I will try to tighten battery in holder with electrical tape when I return for my weekend soot.

Tucsonmr2 Registered since 08th Nov 2012Tue 23-Apr-13 11:03 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: MB-D11 switches battery use"
In response to Reply # 9

AU

As mentioned earlier, use a small piece of paper on either side of the battery in between the holder it will stop the battery moving (very little but still there)
i found my battery draining much quicker before i did this simple mod. its now much better and doesnt make a rattle when shaking the camera.
te reason your battery probably keeps swapping around is probably due to loosing contact with the battery in the grip (becaue it moves around in the grip), so it switches to the one in the body.

cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80080326@N04

esandy Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2011Thu 18-Apr-13 04:35 PM
140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: MB-D11 switches battery use"
In response to Reply # 0

Wichita Falls, US

It sounds like the battery is losing connection in the MB-D11 forcing the camera to use the battery in the camera grip. My battery used to move in the holder. I cured the problem with 3 layers of electrical tape across the clip in the holder where the back of the battery sits. This forces the battery to sit square in the holder and press firmly into the contacts.

Ed

Biker Bill Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2009Fri 19-Apr-13 09:16 AM
#5. "RE: MB-D11 switches battery use"
In response to Reply # 4

Lakeville, US

Thank you for replying. I belive this is the problem and will try this when I get back from my weekend shoot.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26474 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.