Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26430
View in linear mode

Subject: "Screw drive power/speed?" Previous topic | Next topic
Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Mon 15-Apr-13 05:44 AM
2925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Screw drive power/speed?"

Mankato, US

Anyone know if the screw drive mech in the D7100 for AF-D type lenses is as powerful as the D300/D800? You'd hate to get it and find out your 80-200 AF-D, 300/4 AF-d or whatever has become a focus speed slouch!

Thanks!

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Screw drive power/speed?
billD80 Silver Member
15th Apr 2013
Toyse_Woody
15th Apr 2013
BrianNK
16th Apr 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
17th Apr 2013
Clint S Silver Member
17th Apr 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
20th Apr 2013
Clint S Silver Member
23rd Apr 2013
vitalishe
22nd Apr 2013

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 15-Apr-13 01:38 PM
2119 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Screw drive power/speed?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 15-Apr-13 01:43 PM by billD80

US

>Anyone know if the screw drive mech in the D7100 for AF-D
>type lenses is as powerful as the D300/D800? You'd hate to get
>it and find out your 80-200 AF-D, 300/4 AF-d or whatever has
>become a focus speed slouch!
>

A call to Nikon Tech might render an answer... Or a call to a shop that has both on the shelf.

My screw-drive Tamron 17-50/2.8 focusses faster on my D7100 than I recall it did on my D200. Is this because of the motor or better AF module? Both, neither?

Actually, why not ask Richard? http://www.nikonians.org/profile?index.php&user=richardd300

He has the D7100 & the D800...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Toyse_Woody Registered since 20th Feb 2013Mon 15-Apr-13 04:22 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Screw drive power/speed?"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Worth, US

I could not get my 80-200mm 2.8D to lock focus with the d7100 but it works great on my D300 . I tried to tune the focus but you could constantly hear and see it trying to lock focus no matter where I set the tuning at. I currently have the 80-200 up for sell to fund the 70-200mm I bought to replace it .

BrianNK Registered since 25th Feb 2013Tue 16-Apr-13 07:54 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Screw drive power/speed?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I didn't have any problems with the 300mm f/4d on my D7000. I haven't tried one on my D7100 but i would assume it would be the same (if not better).

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 17-Apr-13 02:15 AM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Screw drive power/speed?"
In response to Reply # 3

egg harbor twp, US

I had the 80-200D and thought it was always slow even on my F4
You'll be more than happy with the AFS 70-200 and besides the IQ is soooooo much better than the 80-200
Enjoy your lens camera set up
Jeff

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Wed 17-Apr-13 06:06 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Screw drive power/speed?"
In response to Reply # 4

Chula Vista, US

My 80-400 seems a slower, other AF-Ds focus very nearly as well as on the D800.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 20-Apr-13 03:33 PM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Screw drive power/speed?"
In response to Reply # 5

Monterey Bay, US

Do you think the 1.5x multiplier slows it down
or just a less powerful motor?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Tue 23-Apr-13 04:30 AM
445 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Screw drive power/speed?"
In response to Reply # 6

Chula Vista, US

I belive the D7100 doesn't have the screw power of the D800. But I'm talking 10ths if not 100ths of a second slower.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

vitalishe Registered since 27th Dec 2012Mon 22-Apr-13 08:20 PM
181 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Screw drive power/speed?"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Alamos, US

I don't have D800 or D300, but I can testify that D7100 focuses faster with my Tamron 90mm than my D90 does. And this lens has a very large focus range being a macro lens.
Hope this helps a little.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26430 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.