Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26383
View in linear mode

Subject: "dumb question department" Previous topic | Next topic
arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Sun 14-Apr-13 12:03 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"dumb question department"

Anacortes, US

I have a D7100 and had sent my D200 to my son. In fiddling with the D7100 I had the impression that neither the Aperture or Shutter setting was working correctly. It was as if they were both functioning in Program mode. For example, if I set the aperture I couldn't change the shutter more than one stop, if that. The same thing happens in Shutter priority with no flexibility to change aperture. I should note I was doing this in dim light.
I realize it's supposed to give me the "right" setting but I don't have the flexibility to deliberately under or overexpose, except by using exposure comp.
Maybe the D200 had similar controls but it seems to me the D7100 operates quite differently in this respect. As I said, having sent the D200 to my son I can't confirm this.
So is my memory going or is my impression correct. At first I was about to send the camera back, thinking it was defective.

Thanks for you help.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: dumb question department
Leonard62 Gold Member
14th Apr 2013
Charlie M Silver Member
14th Apr 2013
arnnad Silver Member
14th Apr 2013
Daveecopping Silver Member
14th Apr 2013
billD80 Silver Member
14th Apr 2013
arnnad Silver Member
14th Apr 2013
jeffcs Silver Member
14th Apr 2013
arnnad Silver Member
15th Apr 2013
doppler_fto
17th Apr 2013

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sun 14-Apr-13 12:30 AM
2698 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: dumb question department"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If you're in Aperture priority mode the only way the shutter changes is to change the aperture setting. The same thing for shutter priority. The only way to change the aperture is to set the shutter. If you want to change the exposure without using exposure compensation is to use manual mode and use the meter setting to either go + or -. The D200 should work the same way.

Len

Charlie M Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Aug 2011Sun 14-Apr-13 12:43 AM
130 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: dumb question department"
In response to Reply # 0

Topeka, US

Program mode sets both shutter and aperture. To set bot the aperture and shutter, you need to use manual and aperture or shutter to set either aperture or shutter and the camera will set either the shutter or aperture based upon your set aperture or shutter.
Charlie

D600, D300 and not enough glass

arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Sun 14-Apr-13 02:06 AM
38 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: dumb question department"
In response to Reply # 2

Anacortes, US

I suppose I hadn't recalled this accurately in the D200. I had thought that camera gave me the option to change the net exposure from that selected. For example, if set on Aperture priority @f8 and the camera giving me 100th/sec I could choose to increase exposure by changing the shutter to 60th/sec.

Sorry for the confusion. I must have conflated Aperture/Shutter priority with Manual.

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Sun 14-Apr-13 03:05 PM
151 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: dumb question department"
In response to Reply # 3

Polegate, GB

You could also try jacking up (or down) the ISO setting.

Dave

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sun 14-Apr-13 05:29 PM
2117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: dumb question department"
In response to Reply # 3

US

>Sorry for the confusion. I must have conflated
>Aperture/Shutter priority with Manual.

Yes, that sounds like it. There is the Exposure Compensation button which can be used to adjust exposure up or down while staying in A,P,S or M, or any mode.

My D7100 operates 99% like my D200 did.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Sun 14-Apr-13 06:42 PM
#6. "RE: dumb question department"
In response to Reply # 5

Anacortes, US

Thanks all. I certainly like the D7100. I wanted much higher iso flexibility vs. the D200 and I'd guess it's at least by a factor of 3x, with minor noise reduction. At 79, I also wanted lighter weight. Upper body strengthening wouldn't hurt either but a new camera is sexier. Not having the time to wait for the mythical D400 and believing it'd be heavier than the D200 the D7100 was less expensive than the D200 and IMHO a great value.

Aside from the absent AF-on button the only negative is the grip. It's not as deep as the D200 which created, for my hands, a great sense of security. Maybe I'll just trim my fingernails.

Regards,

Arnold

jeffcs Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sun 14-Apr-13 08:23 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: dumb question department"
In response to Reply # 6

egg harbor twp, US

Arnold
I to have BIG hands but to make you feel a bit more secure when holding camera and this might sound a bit lame but I put my pinky under the base plate of the camera I to am getting older in spots like I now have arthurites in my hands and my grip is not as strong when yunger by putting pinky under camera base plate I don't feel as the camera can slip down I hope this makes sense
Enjoy your d7100 I know I already like mine with out the Aa filter
Jeff

arnnad Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Aug 2006Mon 15-Apr-13 12:53 AM
#8. "RE: dumb question department"
In response to Reply # 7

Anacortes, US

Glad you're only getting older in spots. Now I understand the spots I have.

doppler_fto Registered since 23rd Mar 2013Wed 17-Apr-13 05:53 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: dumb question department"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 17-Apr-13 05:53 PM by doppler_fto

US

Hey, arnnad

You're probably looking for setting b3, "Easy exposure compensation." That's the setting where in Aperture priority mode, your front dial controls the aperture, and your rear dial controls exposure compensation (and, by extension, shutter speed, modulo metering). It defaults to Off for some reason, which differs from the stock behavior of the DX00 cameras (I'm coming from a D300 myself). Hit the question mark when you've got it selected for an explanation of the different options.

HTH,
--Omari

------------------------------------------------------------
I make prints
  of moments
    that people love.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #26383 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.